EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Well, my time with my Enclave is over. Dealership said repairs not worth it. They said they'd give me $500 for it, which I think is low but not sure. They would send it to a wreckers.
It has just about 210 000 km on it. And was told these need repairs:

Front stabilizer links $410

Both rear upper control arms are loose $1375

Rear left adjuster link $487

Rear shocks $375

Power steering cooler $1020

Also the engine light is on

There is also a leak coming from the transmission housing
Need a new cat.

Considering the repairs and cost, and km, should I just sell to a wreckers? Should I expect to be offered a similar price, $500?
I have seen similar Enclaves selling for anywhere from 1200-10 000.
Any info is appreciated, thanks!!

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
873 Posts
Well the dealer is highballing on the work you for sure. You can shop around for other estimates but a pair of rear shocks are $100 for AC Delco on Rockauto, if it takes the dealer mechanic 1 hour, he is slow so use that as a gauge for other work. Some rear suspension parts are in the $50 range are generally easy to replace. Control arms, $130 each.
The engine parts are hard to access and are labor intensive.
I sold my 2008 Saturn Outlook in 2018 with 210,000 miles on it to a coworker for $500, it had none of the issues you mention on yours, I believe its still on the road. An auto salvage company will give you $500 and make thousands on the parts, just sayin. Similar Enclaves with issues selling for 1.2k-10k? :unsure:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well the dealer is highballing on the work you for sure. You can shop around for other estimates but a pair of rear shocks are $100 for AC Delco on Rockauto, if it takes the dealer mechanic 1 hour, he is slow so use that as a gauge for other work. Some rear suspension parts are in the $50 range are generally easy to replace. Control arms, $130 each.
The engine parts are hard to access and are labor intensive.
I sold my 2008 Saturn Outlook in 2018 with 210,000 miles on it to a coworker for $500, it had none of the issues you mention on yours, I believe its still on the road. An auto salvage company will give you $500 and make thousands on the parts, just sayin. Similar Enclaves with issues selling for 1.2k-10k? :unsure:
Sorry, Enclaves without those issues going for that price range. All dollar amounts in Canadian dollars.
Is there a way us regular people can make more selling parts? This is the first time I'm selling a vehicle, my first car got totalled in an accident, so this is all new to me.
Forgot to mention tire sensors not working and AC also not working. Yep, she's a mess.

·
Administrator
735 Posts
Is it possible to make more stripping it and selling the parts yourself vs what you’d get junking it and letting the junk yard do the same thing? Sure, that’s how they’re in business. But it’s a ton of work and time not just physically taking it apart but identifying what’s still good, storing all those parts, listing the parts for sale, boxing/shipping etc etc. Plus they have the advantage of having a customer base that comes to them looking for parts, where as you will have to market each on eBay/Craigslist/FB.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it possible to make more stripping it and selling the parts yourself vs what you’d get junking it and letting the junk yard do the same thing? Sure, that’s how they’re in business. But it’s a ton of work and time not just physically taking it apart but identifying what’s still good, storing all those parts, listing the parts for sale, boxing/shipping etc etc. Plus they have the advantage of having a customer base that comes to them looking for parts, where as you will have to market each on eBay/Craigslist/FB.
Thanks.
Ya, it would be a lot of work, and I am by no means a mechanic.
I guess the best I can hope for is 500.

·
Administrator
735 Posts
Might get lucky trying to just trade it in at a different dealer. Sometimes dealerships don't look as closely as they should evaluating a trade. Sometimes they're willing to overpay for a trade to make the deal because they know they're just doing to dump the trade at auction and make it someone else's problem.

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
873 Posts
Yes these vehicles can be money pits after 120,000 miles. I usually weight the cost of repairs and cost of a new truck payment. I kept repairing after the 120k mark, transmission rebuild, power steering pump and rack, water pump. Between 160 and 210k it really wasn't much of a burden, I was starting a new job and was concerned about reliability so I bought a 15 Clave with 42,000 miles.

·
Registered
407 Posts
First - get a second opinion at a good shop. My 2008 Enclave needed very little work up through it's accident totaling it at 185,000 miles, upon which time we were paid $10,000 by insurance. So I think their cost is high, their offer is low, and they want you to buy a new car...

Reactions: Drweldin

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here's where it pays to know how to work on your vehicles. Those dealer prices are nutty. You can get all the parts you listed at Rockauto for about $300. My quick math would estimate about 6-8 hours to do the work if you know what you're doing. The engine light is the wildcard. They didn't tell you what was tripping it? Personally I'd fix it if it was in good shape otherwise. If you can find a good mechanic that will install your parts, you'd have it all done for about $1000. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
I’ve got the 09. it’s had more than it’s share of repairs. Bob Villa and “this old house”. others have had great luck..... i sure i got a bad one

we drove it into the ground until we could no longer get it to pass inspection - safely of course. went to 167k miles (took more than 20 repairs even to get it to this point since 2010) it was down for more than a year. pulled the power train and refurbished the entire engine bay. i figured it was $21k of dealership repairs i did for $7k. yes, rock auto and online dealerships are your friend

i ponied up the time and parts for our car. we have spare cars ( very critical to save on rentals during repairs). we bought the car for 26k in 2010 so it made financial sense, i know i used real oe parts and they were installed correctly wo damaging other parts, i love working on cars

my advice if you don’t do your own repairs, sell it on craigslist. ask $1500 for it. based on my experience, it’s highly likely you will have more major repairs coming, water pump, timing chains, cam actuators, tranny jerking.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi all,

Well, my time with my Enclave is over. Dealership said repairs not worth it. They said they'd give me $500 for it, which I think is low but not sure. They would send it to a wreckers.
It has just about 210 000 km on it. And was told these need repairs:

Front stabilizer links $410

Both rear upper control arms are loose $1375

Rear left adjuster link $487

Rear shocks $375

Power steering cooler $1020

Also the engine light is on

There is also a leak coming from the transmission housing
Need a new cat.

Considering the repairs and cost, and km, should I just sell to a wreckers? Should I expect to be offered a similar price, $500?
I have seen similar Enclaves selling for anywhere from 1200-10 000.
Any info is appreciated, thanks!!
I have a 2009 EnClave with 160,000 miles I would park it in the back yard before selling it for 500 dollars. I am looking at trading it in on a newer year but wonder what year would be best as for running good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2009 EnClave with 160,000 miles I would park it in the back yard before selling it for 500 dollars. I am looking at trading it in on a newer year but wonder what year would be best as for running good. Also it is in very good condition what price could I look for on trading it in?

·
Registered
16 Posts
We have a 2009 EmClave now thinking up upgrading to newer one what year would be best to look for?

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
873 Posts
I have had no problems with my 2015 although the rear heater supposedly is subject to copper particles from the fam motor getting on the aluminum core and causing leaks. I have not experiences this, yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts