EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2009 just left my family stranded on the side of the road today... Tow truck driver said it sounded like a timing chain... Here is what we are experiencing:

1. Constant throttle, vehicle started jerking (almost like it was slipping and then catching).
2. It then made some noise like crunching metal and the engine just stopped. We were able to coast to a safe spot to stop.
3. When you turn the key, it sounds like metal is grinding or a box of rocks. The engine does not turn over. There is no compression. I almost thought it sounded like the starter had stripped gears (if that makes sense).

Mileage is right about 120K. We had the vehicle in a while back (45K?) for the "stretched" timing chain and it was replaced.

We had it towed to a service station and hope to hear from them in the AM. I'll call the dealer too, but hearing Buick taking some action for a few folks on timing chain issues here on the forum has me optimistic that maybe they will participate in the repair.

Thoughts on what it might be and how to engage Buick if this is abnormal? We are the original owners and bought it new in 2009. We are actually awaiting the arrival of a new Enclave Avenir that was built 2 weeks ago to arrive at the dealer, but if I have to replace the engine or drop major money to repair, that could change things.

·
Super Moderator
660 Posts
Sounds like the timing jumped and the pistons got up close and personal with the valves.

https://www.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/94408/_11340B_en_US

The big question is are you over 120k and if so by how much? It should be interesting to see how the dealer/Buick handles this with a repeat new car buyer and the sale of a shiny new Enclave Avenir hanging the balance. My guess is if you're close to the 120k they take care of you. They might initially say no, hopefully not, but if they do and you make noise with Buick customer service I think they'll cover it.

Of course this is all assuming it was the timing chain.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that link. It syncs up well with a previous repair we had completed...

The vehicle was towed (second time) to my local dealer this morning. First impression from the tech was "Sounds like a box of marbles." I'm still awaiting their "official" diagnosis, but can confirm the following:

1. They replaced the timing chain on 5/15/15 at 84,524 miles under what they identified as T5854 #11340B and CEL was indicating code P0019
2. Dealer has requested all service records not performed by them. I have provided all oil changes (typically ~5K miles, using Penzoil Gold 5W30 which meets GM's dexos1 specification) reflecting the vehicle has been regularly serviced using a GM licensed oil by a professional oil change shop.
3. Vehicle currently has 116K and has been otherwise maintained since delivered new in June of 2009.

Not sure what else it could be, but appreciate everyone's comments on this forum even if I don't post very much. The comments are all very helpful! ;-)

Hoping to hear good news from the dealer soon!

·
Registered
6 Posts
PLEASE SEE MY NEW POST!! Same thing happened and we paid dealership $2,300 for repairs. Buick offered us nothing!! Now 3 months later Buick dealership says we need a new Motor.
2009 Buick Enclave. I have owned 6 months.
120k mikes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts