EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just being discussed on GMI, there's a link to the Canadian International Auto Show that lists the 2009 Chevrolet Traverse, and has brief details:

2009 Chevrolet Traverse
Based on GM’s popular midsize crossover architecture, the Traverse delivers a robust and satisfying combination of power, efficiency, ride and safety. The driving experience is supported by a sophisticated, 3.6L DOHC V6 that features variable valve timing and gasoline direct-injection technology. It is designed to provide excellent power and efficiency that translates to usable, power-on-demand performance and is expected to deliver the best highway fuel economy in the segment.

http://www.autoshow.ca/2008/
http://www.autoshow.ca/2008/downloads/SHOWBIZ-JAN08.pdf
Seemed like a possible flub, until then a senior member of GMI said this, after one person brought up that it would be awkward for the new cheapest Lambda to have this engine and not the others:

All of the 2009 Lambda vehicles will have DI on the 3.6L.
So, looks pretty sure. We shall see, among the other small model year changes that should be released in March/April sometime for the entire GM line-up.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm going to see the show when it opens. Hopefully I can snag some good pics.

Last years show was pretty good, and it was great when the GM floor people put keys in some of the cars so we could mess around with the radio and stuff. I still remember last year I was closing the power liftgate on an ML55 then some guy ran under it as it was closing! I don't think it hurt him that much, but the car beeped to warn it was closing, so it wasn't my fault. :angel:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's some other quotes from the one same person, in regards to other projected '09 Lambda vehicle changes:

I don't think the Traverse will have any other engine option besides the 3.6L DI. At least that was the plan when I last heard.

Also, it should have a unique dash. All of the 2009 Lambda's are getting interior tweaks done to them for the addition of integrated switchgear.
and then, to clarify:

DI adds ample amounts of power and allows the engine to be more fuel efficient. Plus it reduces cold-start carbons.

The switchgear will be the new, integrated type. The whole center stack will be changed.

Price difference will be minimal.
So...the DI 3.6L seems like a pretty certain thing, as well as already integrating the "new" GM center stacks where things like the head unit and HVAC are more integrated into each vehicle and less "parts bin" and separate. I didn't expect this so soon, based on some GM interior concept images released not long ago...but seems like they should be out in many vehicles for the upcoming year.

We shall see :thumb:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And more, this time in response to WHY these changes (DI engine and integrated center stack, etc. were not included from the start, in the Lambdas):

They would have, but the DI engine and switchgear were not ready at the time.

The current portion of the center stack that is all black plastic will look different. Other than that, same as it is now.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The DI engine is great news! Jonv112, when you go to the show could you find out whether the 2009 model might include a sport mode for the transmission? :thumb:

·
Registered
260 Posts
I can find out, if they have one on display hopefully.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Man, am I jealous if you "waiters" out there, who post here at times, get a DFI motor!! That's roughly 30 HP and 30 Ft/Lbs of additional torque!! (if they approximate Caddy's '08 motor!)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
Man, am I jealous if you "waiters" out there, who post here at times, get a DFI motor!! That's roughly 30 HP and 30 Ft/Lbs of additional torque!! (if they approximate Caddy's '08 motor!)

Would this engine maintain or improve mileage? We plan on attending the Twin Cities auto show -- wondering if this and/or other changes will be revealed. Any ideas?

BB

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Does anyone know if 30 more HP, Ft/Lbs of torque would help with my tranny concerns (enough to be noticable, obviously it would help in general) ??????????????? If so I will seriously consider trading this one in on a 2009 despite the loss of money I would sustain.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
blurrybill said:
Would this engine maintain or improve mileage? We plan on attending the Twin Cities auto show -- wondering if this and/or other changes will be revealed. Any ideas?

BB
Hah, that's a good one. Since when have we had anything interesting at the TC auto show, other than current MY vehicles? I need to make a trip to Detroit someday.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Blurrybill, the DI V6 is supposed to have around ten percent more oomph without any decrease in gas mileage. It's a win-win concept that's been popular in Europe for awhile, and over the next couple of years is supposed to become commonplace over here on GM and Ford vehicles. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I would be interested in driving one. I have no intuitive feel for how noticeable 30 HP and 30 ft-lbs would be.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
bsox said:
Does anyone know if 30 more HP, Ft/Lbs of torque would help with my tranny concerns (enough to be noticable, obviously it would help in general) ??????????????? If so I will seriously consider trading this one in on a 2009 despite the loss of money I would sustain.
Come on, that's like trading your Lexus for Hyundai! ;D

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
blurrybill said:

BB
Slightly, yes, but don't expect more than 1 mpg more or so. Direct Injection makes more power and runs more efficiently, which will help these heavy vehicles, but nothing huge.

bsox said:
There will of course be new transmission programming again to combine with the Direct Injection engine differences, but we shall see. The slight power difference will be slight but will help, so that will also make a difference.

This, of course, is still ALL depending on what actually shows up for sure. I don't doubt at all what is being said now, just will wait and see for sure.

Should be a nice change, though, but nothing that will make 2008 owners disappointed that much, if and when the new changes show up.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
jbradfor said:
How does the torque curve change with DI? Does the 30 HP appear only at high RPMs, or does DI help on the low-end too?
traditionally, DI helps at both ends, but MORE at high RPM where all HP is rated. The Enclave gets all 253 ft/lbs of torque at only 3200 RPM (lower RPM than average!) and it's 273 HP at a typical 6200RPM.

The current 08' Caddy CTS, which now has an optional 3.6 DFI eng (not that we will get this exact one) gets its 31 additional HP (above current Enclave) at expected 6200 RPM also. But max torque of 275 ft./lbs only comes on at about a disappointing 5000RPM.

Driving around town and passing would probably feel like the difference between driving alone, vs driving with 3 passengers. (500 lbs) Try it and you'll have an idea of what to expect...........unless tranny gears change. You can do a lot with 6 gears ;)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
if all of this is true about new stuff for 09 then i am sooo glad we are waiting!!

oh and what was the thing about a shiftgear or whatever change??

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
If you refer to my last comment, I was only pointing out that with more engine grunt, GM could change the shift algorithms to a more balanced arrangement, and make first and second gears blasters!?????????

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
caddycruiser said:
Here's some other quotes from the one same person, in regards to other projected '09 Lambda vehicle changes:

and then, to clarify:

So...the DI 3.6L seems like a pretty certain thing, as well as already integrating the "new" GM center stacks where things like the head unit and HVAC are more integrated into each vehicle and less "parts bin" and separate. I didn't expect this so soon, based on some GM interior concept images released not long ago...but seems like they should be out in many vehicles for the upcoming year.

We shall see :thumb:
Smokin SRX said:
If you refer to my last comment, I was only pointing out that with more engine grunt, GM could change the shift algorithms to a more balanced arrangement, and make first and second gears blasters!?????????

i dont know if you were responding the tranmission thing to me but the second quote about the integrated shifter...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts