EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2009 Enclave which I bought used last year with 140k miles has had a clicking noise in the engine ,
I took it into the local mechanic shop and was told my timing chain is stretched out , causing the clicking noise which was roughly $3,000 to fix . Also they told me my Catalytic converter was bad and needed replaced for another $3,500.. total estimate over $7,000 with tax to fix my Enclave .
I paid less than $6k for the vehicle . It’s in great shape other then these issues I’ve only put 10,000 miles on it since I bought it .

Any advice ?
Thanks WES JONES

·
Super Moderator
321 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Wes.

How about getting an estimate from another dealer? Don't mention the first estimate. If the Enclave is in otherwise great shape it may be worth fixing. Both of those items should last for quite awhile once replaced. What you've paid plus the repair cost is a lot less than buying a new vehicle.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
they charged you $3500 to replace 1 catalytic converter?
there are 4 on the vehicle.
or did they replace the entire exhaust system?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2009 Enclave which I bought used last year with 140k miles has had a clicking noise in the engine ,
I took it into the local mechanic shop and was told my timing chain is stretched out , causing the clicking noise which was roughly $3,000 to fix . Also they told me my Catalytic converter was bad and needed replaced for another $3,500.. total estimate over $7,000 with tax to fix my Enclave .
I paid less than $6k for the vehicle . It’s in great shape other then these issues I’ve only put 10,000 miles on it since I bought it .

Any advice ?
Thanks WES JONES
If you haven’t made the decision yet, maybe this helps. I have an ‘08 CXL. In ‘16, I replaced one converter @ 130k ($1400 w/tune up). In ‘18, Torque converter went bad at 195k ($2800 for tranny rebuild and t/c). In ‘19, A/C issues @205k ($1400 for main supply hose to rear, compressor, etc). I wanted to junk it, but finances said otherwise. Today, she’s at 275k, and making 1000 mile round trip journeys every 3-4 weeks. I love the new ones, but I smile every month when I don’t have a note!

·
Registered
9 Posts
We had same issue. 2009. Purchased August 2020 for $8,300. In November 2020- new timing chain $2,300. Jan 2021 new sensors for bank 2- $700. Then March 2021-new engine $6,300. So far all running good in June 2021.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts