EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

2010 A/C Issues

7K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  mpmangum 
#1 ·
This problem started about a month ago. Hissing sound up front, figured low on Freon, charged to ambient temp pressure chart. Worked ok, not good let alone great, for 2 days then the compressor clutch separated. Replaced compressor, both front and rear expansion valves, condenser, dryer, cleaned screen filter was plugged with debris, at the rear which hadn't worked in the two years we have owned it.
A.c. worked for 1 day then quit again. Changed compressor and dryer again, flushed lines reassembled and had charged to sow again. Worked for 2 days again, then quit. Compressor kicks on for about 30 seconds then quits. If I jump the compressor relay and cooling fan relay it kicks on and cools, but that is the only way I can get it to work.
Am I missing something? At this point I am leaning towards a computer problem, because the a.c. light is always on, weather or not it is actually cooling. According to my Snap on solus, the low pressure switch is open, and the a.c. is granted and allowed, but it will now engage the compressor.

#2 ·
"According to my Snap on solus, the low pressure switch is open, and the a.c. is granted and allowed, but it will now engage the compressor. "
Shouldn't the Low Pressure Switch be closed to indicate that there is enough pressure to engage the A/C clutch?
"But it will now engage the compressor" You mean NOT engage the compressor?
What was all the debris clogging things up?

#3 ·
Sorry correct will not engage. Low side says open even in the short time the compressor actually does work, that line does not change like one would think if it were the issue. I would think it would change state if it were what was holding it back.
Also I don't see a high and a low pressure switch, just one next to the compressor so I assumed it was a pressure transducer not a single switch.

#5 ·
Both expansion valves were replaced after flushing the lines. Like I said at this point I am leaning towards a computer problem because I have been down every avenue I could think of, not that I am an a.c. master. I do own my own shop, but a.c. work of this scale is not common. After replacing everything except the evaperators and lines I am at the end of the parts and the start of the electrical side. This is the wife's car so the ear bending is getting old!

#11 ·
No where here have I seen any pressure readings. You have hooked up a manifold set correct. It sounds like a pressure issue if the compressor is starting and then kicking off. Have you tried to jump the pressure switch? Is it just a two wire open or closed switch? I really doubt that you have any kind of computer issue. How about some pressure readings to give us an idea of what's going on.

#12 ·
I know you said that you have flushed the system a few times and replaced everything except the evaporators and lines, but you may still have some debris floating around there. It may cause a blockage which in turn will send the low side into a vacuum and trip the low side pressure switch. That would show up if we had pressure readings.

#17 ·
I don't see any reference to the vacuum step to pull out all noncondensible gases out of the AC system. I can assume the system was drawn down by the correct vacuum process, but I don't like to assume, so, was it?

If not, that would be the reason for the high pressures in the system.

#20 ·
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I do have a similar question. My AC is going in and out a bit. When I'm driving, it's as cold as ever. When I'm sitting idling, it gets much warmer.

I'm thinking this may be a condenser fan problem. Does that sound right? If so, how hard are those to change out? How Iong does it take?

Is there a fuse or relay that might be bad? I don't know too much about the specifics.

Thanks!

#21 ·
I don't know if the Enclave's fan runs constantly when the A/C is on or if it is controlled by a pressure switch, but if you park it with the A/C on, the fan has to kick in at some point or the head pressure will go through the roof. You should be able to see and hear the fan coming on. If it is not coming on, do NOT sit in traffic or parked with the A/C on as this can cause damage to the system. The fan system will be fused and most likely have some sort of relay as well. The fuse will be a high amp fuse of 30 or more amps and probably a large style fuse under the hood. If it is blown, I would "guess" the fan might be faulty or going in that direction. If you have the driver's handbook, it should have the fuse and relay locations. Good luck.

#23 ·
It depends if it's a puller or pusher. It will be either between the radiator and engine (Puller) or in front of the condenser which will be in front of the radiator (Pusher) It should be a large fan most likely black plastic blades. It should be easy to find. Maybe electbc will chime in here. He's pretty familiar with these vehicles.

#25 ·
I think the Enclave has a separate fan. I can order one as a whole assembly. It appears to be much smaller than the engine fan as best I can tell.

I'll keep digging though. I appreciate the warning about engine overheating. I haven't noticed that it's been doing that, but I'll monitor it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.