EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife passed in 2019. I have 2 other gm vehicles. Her enclave that I am driving now has a engine light on that refers to timing chain issues. There is no noise coming from the engine. Runs fine but don’t want to drive and ruin the whole engine. I read that this problem is covered on some vehicles. The vin number is 5galrbed0aj116693 and the mileage 118793. Please advise me on what steps gm will provide in order to correct this issue. I have a 2000 Z71 with over 200,000 miles and a chev 2013 1500 with 82,000 miles. Neither of these vehicles have timing chain issues. What happened in the enclave engine that it would fail this soon?

·
Administrator
767 Posts
Unfortunately the warranty extension for stretched timing chains was only for 2009 Enclaves. So if it is indeed a timing chain issue you're going to be on the hook for the full repair.

What codes is it throwing?

·
Administrator
767 Posts
I suppose there is a slight chance it's not the timing chain but based on the year/miles and that it's a known issue it most likely is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ken2354, I'm sure the timing cover needs to be removed and put on a timing kit. We do them often without an issue and just finished one up yesterday. There are three chains and three tensioners on this motor. When these 3.6 motors run low on oil or have a lot of wear on the chains they jump time. If the sprockets had pointier teeth like a bicycle sprocket I would think they would not jump as easy. Also the tensioners are oil fed and when low oil pressure happens they slack the chains. It's a job that requires a lift but not imposable at home, other than that everybody is afraid of doing them, even when I worked at the dealer no one wanted to work on them. I got pretty familiar with doing them. Now out in the private sector I'm seeing them again. We are in Md so if you are close we can help. Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
You may not notice a difference. Your computer compares the preset timing values against current ones. If the timing reading is not in the correct parameter, codes like the one you have will set. As long as you keep the oil changed and full it may be ok BUT if the mileage is high enough that the chains are just stretched then no amount of maintenance will keep it from getting worse. As it gets worse you will hear a rattle at start up and misfiring as well as poor performance. If you want to keep the car, before things get worse on it, you should get new chains and tensioners. Used motors for those are crazy money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts