EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starts any given time without any issue, I only seem to be having and issue AFTER I put any amount of fuel in my car. Takes several attempt to get my car started, best I can explain is as if its coughing and wanting to turn over. HELP! Also note that there is NO"Check Engine" light on.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
imho on a modern vehicle, being unable to start is an indication of a major problem (not like the old days, it's simple, fire or spark).

Usually nobody can diagnose these things anymore except a dealership, and it seems often they cannot either (like the cases where the vehicles simply die without warning on the expressway, and then they're fine again).....good luck...

·
Registered
448 Posts
fromerojr said:
Starts any given time without any issue, I only seem to be having and issue AFTER I put any amount of fuel in my car. Takes several attempt to get my car started, best I can explain is as if its coughing and wanting to turn over. HELP! Also note that there is NO"Check Engine" light on.

Most likely easy and inexpensive fix it's probably the purge solenoid valve under the hood next to the throttle body. $25 part and 10 minutes to change out. Search it here, i did mine and so did a few others. Mine eventually threw a code and a light. The search will give you the code. Have it scanned for a code.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
silvervettes said:
Most likely easy and inexpensive fix it's probably the purge solenoid valve under the hood next to the throttle body. $25 part and 10 minutes to change out. Search it here, i did mine and so did a few others. Mine eventually threw a code and a light. The search will give you the code. Have it scanned for a code.
:ditto: This advice gets my vote.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
YUP---
classic symptom of that that purge valve.
Usually due to topping off the gas tank.

Do a search on here, on the Acadia and Traverse forum and youll see quite a few folks who had this problem- and was corrected by changing that part.
From what they posted it was cheap to order on line- and easy to replace oneself.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Not saying it's a wrong diagnosis, but isn't it interesting that a conclusion has already been made, without any information other than the vehicle being unable to start? This is exactly what is scary about the way things are done today imho.... :happy:

OP said no SES, but just replace anyway, it should work now. If not, then onto the next part.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
this issue has been posted by quite a few members across the Lambda forums.

Its always-
vehicle runs fine- starts fine all the time--- Except right after refueling.

this is the only time that the engine has to crank quite a bit to finally start--- when it does off they go-- and runs fine until the next refuel.

Some report the SES light- with the code that points at the Valve.
Though others report no SES light.

They change the part- and on their next refuel- the vehicle starts up fine.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I am not doubting in the least bit that the solution will work. It probably will. Maybe it won't. Just pointing out that the methodology is interesting in arriving at the answer. And everybody has already concluded. With this case there are no consequences, but in many other types of situations there would be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased an 08 Enclave 119k miles last week & had the problem of it not starting after getting fuel when I was driving it home. I took it back to the lot, & it's still there. It did throw the SES light on the dash. Is the purge valve under the hood what I will need to replace? The lot is saying something about a valve above the gas tank? Any suggestions for I get in over my head? Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just purchased an 08 Enclave 119k miles last week & had the problem of it not starting after getting fuel when I was driving it home. I took it back to the lot, & it's still there. It did throw the SES light on the dash. Is the purge valve under the hood what I will need to replace? The lot is saying something about a valve above the gas tank? Any suggestions for I get in over my head? Thanks
Had this happen on 2 GM cars up to now, 2012 GMC Acadia and 2015 Chevrolet Sonic.
It is the one under the hood. Like others have said, 25$ part, 10 minutes to install.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I had an 08 Outlook, first the under hood purge valve went. a year later, the gas tank purger valve went, different code CEL. The under hood one is easy, the one at the tank was a little more involved but easily done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts