EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

How many 2010 Buick Enclave owners need or have needed their timing chain replaced?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna see how many 2010 Buick Enclave owners have needed to replace their timing chain?

I've owned mine for almost 3 years and it currently needs a timing chain and needs the rack and pinion replaced. I absolutely loved this vehicle, Its beautiful and a great drive when you have kids and a car load of people but never again will I ever buy anything made by GM.
In my 3 years owning, I have replaced the driver seat module, AC unit, replaced the head lights MYSELF ( no way was i going to pay some one $700 per lightbulb to replace) purge valve, and many other components - just cant think of them at the moment.

i was quoted by 3 different shops for the timing chain
1st shop $2,400 (well known shop)
2nd shop $1,700 (small independent shop)
3rd Shop $4,900 ( well Known shop been around decades)

I would like to see how many others with the same year Buick enclave need or have needed to replace their timing chain. they recalled it for 2008 & 2009, Now its time to recall 2010.
Gm needs to fix the issues they create or stop making vehicles!!

·
Registered
2022 Buick Enclave Premium Sage Metallic
26 Posts
I don’t know if it’s fair to put the issues you have had on GM being bad when you clearly aren’t the first owner if you only owned it for 3 years and it’s 12-13 year old vehicle (being a 2010). A forum isn’t a good way to gauge a recall justification. Forums represent a small number of the millions of said vehicle on the road…most people only come to forums because they are experiencing an issue so if you see a lot of posts about an issue it will SEEM like the problem is massive when it very well may not be (May only represent less than 1% of the vehicles out there). With that being said…unless you know for a fact how the car was taken care of for the 9-10 years prior to you owning it it’s difficult to say if your issues are due to poor quality or a previous owner(s) that just did a terrible job maintaining it.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
About to hit 184,000.
No chain issues.
I check my oil level weekly.
Many of the chain issues can be traced back to low oil levels and or extended oil change intervals.... or both.
The DI engines will begin to burn oil once the miles add up. This is due to the nature of DI engines and carbon buildup..
So monitoring oil levels is very important on the 1st gen models.
Do you have any service history for the early part of its life?

Reactions: mikebuffman

·
Registered
394 Posts
Rbarrios, that's absolutely amazing you haven't had timing chain issues. I change my oil every 3000 miles with full synthetic and high quality filter to be safe. I only have 96K miles, so about 1/2 of yours but I do lots of stop and go driving. So far so good. I agree with you that these vehicles require proper maintenance to last, but still it's luck of the draw as to whether you'll have serious problems.

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
952 Posts
I drove a 2008 Saturn Outlook and had 212,000 miles on her before I sold it. As far as I know it's still on the road. I never had a timing chain issue, other issues but not timing chain. Full synthetic 3000-6000 oil change intervals.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wanna see how many 2010 Buick Enclave owners have needed to replace their timing chain?

I've owned mine for almost 3 years and it currently needs a timing chain and needs the rack and pinion replaced. I absolutely loved this vehicle, Its beautiful and a great drive when you have kids and a car load of people but never again will I ever buy anything made by GM.
In my 3 years owning, I have replaced the driver seat module, AC unit, replaced the head lights MYSELF ( no way was i going to pay some one $700 per lightbulb to replace) purge valve, and many other components - just cant think of them at the moment.

i was quoted by 3 different shops for the timing chain
1st shop $2,400 (well known shop)
2nd shop $1,700 (small independent shop)
3rd Shop $4,900 ( well Known shop been around decades)

I would like to see how many others with the same year Buick enclave need or have needed to replace their timing chain. they recalled it for 2008 & 2009, Now its time to recall 2010.
Gm needs to fix the issues they create or stop making vehicles!!
I purchased our 2010 Enclave new for my wife. I have been religious about changing the oil early. I believe I have read elsewhere that lack of maintenance, oil changes in particular, can lead to timing chain issues. Our Enclave now has 210,000 miles and still running strong. Only brakes and rotors and tires of course have been replaced. Looking for wood to knock on now! Like many we flat out love our enclave and don't want to loose her. Good luck with your repair.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I purchased our 2010 Enclave new for my wife. I have been religious about changing the oil early. I believe I have read elsewhere that lack of maintenance, oil changes in particular, can lead to timing chain issues. Our Enclave now has 210,000 miles and still running strong. Only brakes and rotors and tires of course have been replaced. Looking for wood to knock on now! Like many we flat out love our enclave and don't want to loose her. Good luck with your repair.
You are correct, and for the OP...
I was told as well, that the timing chains in the Enclave are very finickly related to proper oil levels and regular oil changes, in contrast to other vehicles out there.
My daughter's '08 needed to have the engine replaced d/t a failed timing chain, secondary to the prior owner's negligence, during their term of ownership. It was replaced under warranty at the time. As well, was the tranny work for the reverse plate, which was not owner neglect, but poor quality material when built.
Take care of your vehicle, and it will provide years of service, until you hit a deer.
You can't bash GM for all the issues. All makers have manufacturer issues. You can always ride a bicycle if automotive engineering is that troublesome.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I sold my 2010 last year with 198,000 miles with no timing chain issues but I changed the oil since new every 5,000 miles with Mobile 1 fully synthetic.

Issues and maintenance that I went through:
1) AC - seems to be the weakest link for this car. Under warranty they replaced the evaporator coil and I replaced the condenser. I don't understand how a stationary part develops a crack in the welds.... wait... I can guess... Ha!
2) Front end - I replaced the entire front end (struts, half shafts with CV joints, bearings, tie rod ends) at about 100K miles. There was one CV joint that was starting to pop and the struts were banging (typical problem) so I ended up doing it all since I was in there. Total cost for parts was almost $1,000 and I did the labor. Took the weekend to do it.
3) Replaced the EVAP purge valve twice.
4) Replaced the wishbone shock under the fuse box once and the front motor mount once.
5) Replaced the rear shocks once.
6) Changed transmission fluid every 50,000 miles.
7) Replaced the heating element in the drivers seat once. Was starting to give problems again when I sold it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts