EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have my 2010 Enclave into the shop now with the dreaded "Timing Chain" diagnosis. Was advised that mine apparently is not one that was covered through extended warranty (and I"m over 120K miles now). Looking at just under $2000 to get it fixed. Anyone else have success getting GM to address this now, well known issue? Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,655 Posts
Have not seen anyone with a 2010 get assistance.
the timing chain warranty is only up to the 2009s.


What were your oil change intervals like?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I maintained my Onstar service and was very religious about sticking to. Never less than 10% remaining.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,655 Posts
hmmmmmmm

concerns.... that pop into mind.

1)long oil change intervals.
bunch of us realized that the 2010's had an issue with OLM and the actual oil life...
so we began to change at 50% or 5000 miles.

I guess you were changing oil at roughly 9000 miles?


2) if you changed your own oil--- did you measure what came out.
Im thinking that with 10% OLM left... that the oil level was low everytime. (example draining only 2.5-3 qts out of 5)...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,546 Posts
thurber said:
Have my 2010 Enclave into the shop now with the dreaded "Timing Chain" diagnosis. Was advised that mine apparently is not one that was covered through extended warranty (and I"m over 120K miles now). Looking at just under $2000 to get it fixed. Anyone else have success getting GM to address this now, well known issue? Thanks!
Hello thurber,

We are very sorry to hear that you are experiencing concerns with the timing chain in your Enclave and understand how unexpected repair costs may be frustrating. Although we are unable to guarantee a particular outcome, we would be happy to look into this situation further with your dealership. If this is something of interest to you, please send us a private message.

Kindly,

Samantha N
Buick Customer Care
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I just had the same thing happen to my 2010 CXL. I have 125K miles on it. The check engine light had been intermittent the past couple of weeks and yesterday the water pump started leaking. While I had it in to the dealer to track down the leak, they diagnosed the timing chain problem. Now I'm looking at a $3,000 bill! (granted a portion of that is for the water pump). I heard some of the early 2010's might have been affected by the 2009 timing chain problem, but haven't had that verified. I need to have more conversations with my dealer to try to sort this out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,546 Posts
Joker said:
I just had the same thing happen to my 2010 CXL. I have 125K miles on it. The check engine light had been intermittent the past couple of weeks and yesterday the water pump started leaking. While I had it in to the dealer to track down the leak, they diagnosed the timing chain problem. Now I'm looking at a $3,000 bill! (granted a portion of that is for the water pump). I heard some of the early 2010's might have been affected by the 2009 timing chain problem, but haven't had that verified. I need to have more conversations with my dealer to try to sort this out.
Hi Joker,

Thank you for bringing this concern to our attention. We have recently responded to your private message requesting some additional information. Please let us know if you have any further questions at this time.

Kindly,

Samantha N
Buick Customer Care
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Joker said:
I just had the same thing happen to my 2010 CXL. I have 125K miles on it. The check engine light had been intermittent the past couple of weeks and yesterday the water pump started leaking. While I had it in to the dealer to track down the leak, they diagnosed the timing chain problem. Now I'm looking at a $3,000 bill! (granted a portion of that is for the water pump). I heard some of the early 2010's might have been affected by the 2009 timing chain problem, but haven't had that verified. I need to have more conversations with my dealer to try to sort this out.
Got my 2010 back from the shop yesterday (new air conditioning compressor and condenser for only $1,500 :confused:) and the check engine light came on with code the code for the timing chain. I have 116K miles on mine. I know that 11340c was for 2009's but dealer and Buick both told me sorry but now that is normal wear on 2010s. They could not tell me a single thing different about the 2009 and 2010 engine but they just don't cover the 2010's. Mine is still even in the special coverage window of 120000 miles that come with 11340c but still could not convince them to cover it. I guess I am going to just have to drive it and ignore the light until I can recover from the new AC cost. :facepalm: Did you get anywhere with GM? How much did it end up costing you to get it fixed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,655 Posts
amostman said:
Got my 2010 back from the shop yesterday (new air conditioning compressor and condenser for only $1,500 :confused:) and the check engine light came on with code the code for the timing chain. I have 116K miles on mine. I know that 11340c was for 2009's but dealer and Buick both told me sorry but now that is normal wear on 2010s. They could not tell me a single thing different about the 2009 and 2010 engine but they just don't cover the 2010's. Mine is still even in the special coverage window of 120000 miles that come with 11340c but still could not convince them to cover it. I guess I am going to just have to drive it and ignore the light until I can recover from the new AC cost. :facepalm: Did you get anywhere with GM? How much did it end up costing you to get it fixed?

ill ask the same question I asked above...


hmmmmmmm

concerns.... that pop into mind.

1)long oil change intervals.
bunch of us realized that the 2010's had an issue with OLM and the actual oil life...
so we began to change at 50% or 5000 miles.

what are your intervals?


2) if you changed your own oil--- did you measure what came out.
what was it OIL % life left?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
657 Posts
How come 2010 have all these problems suddenly after out of warranty. No way this is happening because according to JD power Buick is above Lexus on dependability[reliability?].
Sorry 2010 friends, Nothing personal.
Me and my friend bought 2010 Enclave brand new. Thanks to the forum, irrespective of the fan boys opinions, I sold it in 2014 for $18500+$700=$19,200. My friend just laughed at my thinking process. Now his enclave is in the workshop for fuel pump and injector problems. Looking at a bill for $2500 minimum. After fixing it he might get $9k for trade in.
I don't know from where JD power pulling all these data.
In my opinion a car will be dependable at least a 10% of them should run 200k miles or 10 years without any major problem. After that we can call them reliable or dependable. That is why Toyota, Honda, Hyundai are called dependable by the public who doesn't have state of art research settings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I'm in almost the exact same place as you are! I've got a 2009 Enclave CXL that I've owned for over two years and it threw the codes for timing chain right after I spent $1900 putting in a new pair of cats and O2 sensors. I first noticed the problem right around 120k miles but was helping family move and couldn't get into a shop until about 121ish. My local dealer won't cover it under the warranty so I'm looking at another $2000 to replace.

I've had my GM dealer change oil on this car ever since I bought it at around 80k miles on 3k intervals pretty religiously. :-\

Hope you have better luck!
Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 2010 Enclave. It was built in August 2009. As I have worked in assembly plants and visited many over the years, as much as you want to believe and they might FIFO ( first in first out inventory) it doesn't happen. As a supplier to the Saturn plant at Springhill we were on consignment inventory and I thought for sure the kanban numbers would be sequenced in order. I was kind of shocked even Saturn not followed FIFO inventory control. The point being is it is quite possible that 2009 parts and engines were used in early build 2010 Enclaves.

Regardless of that, my Enclave presented symptoms before the code light came on. I had multiple times where the engine would not respond when I pressed the accelerator. I had a particular dangerous merge where I was almost rear ended by a transport as the car wouldn't respond, I couldn't get to the shoulder and the transport couldn't switch lanes. Subsequent to these incidents the code light came on, the dealer said stretched timing chain and it has been fixed.

Despite numerous calls to Buick Care and emails they referred me to GM Canada. despite calls and explaining the situation, no resolution. In Canadian dollars this was $3300.

So, my suggestion to those that have had a similar experience which they feel was a safety issue is that they should file a complaint with NHTSA. Just go to their website and it is quite easy to file a safety related claim. I suspect if there are enough of us that do this then GM will finally respond to our issue.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top