EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Buick enclave 2CXL, 2007 GMC Acadia SLT-2
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Quick update. I finally got to it and disassembled everything. And mystery solved - here is what ACTUALLY was a culprit of the problems. The metal plate on the VVT sprocket got loose and it tricked the sensor to send some crazy data to the ECU. Hence it just shut off the engine. Also it was that plate that rumbled around and shaved edges of the sensor (remember one of the sensors had cut off edges?). Chain is not great, but I believe it wasn't the main problem. Here is a short video: New video by Tim Yoshi
So the question is - should I replace all of the VVT sprockets now, or just the one that failed? I probably know the answer, but just wanna make sure ;)
Also what about VVT actuators? They look kinda OK. Metal mesh was a bit dirty but I blew it off with compressor and now it looks more or less clean and normal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
One more thing. I noticed that description for the original ACDelco VVT sprocket mentions following "GM GENUINE 12684832 Use W/ WASH 12632859 UNLESS USED ON SADDLE CAP STYLE HEADS". Here is this washer: More Information for GM GENUINE 12632859 It seems to be quite rare and not easily available everywhere.
I found some info about it here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10089226-2280.pdf
But it seems more like a cure for some specific problem not like standard procedure on VVT sprockets replacement?

So the questions is - should I be concerned about it? Should I order it too? I'm really confused with all those TSBs and descriptions.

Thanks in advance again!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I would guess that the problem you found with the loose metal plate, along with the fact that contact was made between it and the position sensor may have been due to excessive end play, thus the need for the washer. A tech familiar with these engines may be able to confirm this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I would guess that the problem you found with the loose metal plate, along with the fact that contact was made between it and the position sensor may have been due to excessive end play, thus the need for the washer. A tech familiar with these engines may be able to confirm this.
Ok, thanks for the reply. Took my time and reviewed procedures closely outlined in that TSB. And it seems it's not applicable to my case because:
1) they say to dig into it only if there are specific set of error codes thrown, namely P0011 • P0014 • P0021 • P0024 • P0341 • P0346 • P0366 • P0391. That's not the case here. I carefully saved very first report when I just got the car - and there was not a single code from this group. Nor it haven't thrown it even once after.
2) It's said to check the play of the camshaft (if there are codes, but since we already have heads off - easy to check it, so we proceeded). Only if it's more than 0.4 mm to proceed with further steps. I checked to the best of my ability (checked 5 times from different points of reference with caliper with resolution 0.1mm) and even the worst play was about 0.1-0.2 mm on one of the cams, others are almost rock solid. So no "checkmark" here too.
3) and lastly they say to check the gap between cam actuator and camshaft cap. If it's more than 2mm - proceed with installing washers AND replacing the cam head. That was not the case here too fortunately - the max gap I was able to measure is about 1.6-1.7mm...

Also searched for those codes and washer part code - it seems to be extremely rare failure mode and repair. Info is almost non-existent on it. And even in cases there was one of those codes, in the end it proved to be something else, rather than those washers/cam play. So I assume if it'd be something common - there should have been much more info on it over the span of those 14 years that this car/engine is one the market and this/others forums exist.

So it seems we are good to go as it is.
Will be working on it this weekend full throttle. Fingers crossed! Hopefully by next week I will have happy grin on my face while writing next update ;)

21 - 25 of 25 Posts