·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Enclave
65000 miles
Bought used at 32,000 miles
Oil changed every 5k miles

Last Monday, my wife was driving to the bank. As she turned into the bank, she heard what she thought was the power steering pump whining loudly and then everything shut off. Had it towed to my house to see what was going on and found a connecting rod sticking out and touching the steering gear. Had it towed to the dealer to get the engine replaced(not under warranty). After the engine was dropped out, the dealer mechanic started removing parts off the old engine, to swap over to the new engine. He couldnt get to the torque converter bolts, so he dropped the oil pan.

Found a couple pieces of mashed up piston.

Took off the left(front) cylinder head, because #2 rod was the one sticking out the block. Didnt get a pick of the bore or valves as I was in a rush. But there was another piston in pieces.

I was looking at the engine, trying to figure out what would cause this, and I saw a rocker arm and spring no longer on its valve, on #1 cylinder, in the right cylinder head. Looked a little more and found the other rocker off as well. The mechanic removed the right head and found no piston in #1 cylinder.

Now it looks to me like the #1 rod is seized on the crank, but I didnt really dig into it. Flipped over the right head and found this:

Now I dont know exactly how this happened, as I am no master of failure analysis, but you are free to speculate and share experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
looks like a valve dropped, maybe put this in the quality section. Sorry to see this happen to anyone with maintenance schedules being followed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Re: 2011 engine failure

We have a 2011 Enclave CXL with 93K on it. Was driving it home a couple of weeks ago and check engine light came on and I smelled something hot. Pulled over into a driveway and the car stalled. Could not start it, it just made a click sound. Had it towed to the dealer and the engine is done, seized up.

They was $2000K to tear it down to investigate what happened to it. That is supposed to start this week after I had to give approval for more money. They quoted from GM after they "crunched" the numbers, it would be $2500 if they get into it and do not discover any blueing on anything indicating over heating or excessive wear. If they do, it would be $7000K for a new engine.

We had the oil changed everything 5K through the life of the car, we bought the car new.

They said possible causes could be it threw a rod or the timing chain but won't know until they get into it. Btw, just made our last payment last month :)

Anyone else have an issue like this and also heard of this "magic number crunching calculator" to determine my cost? thanks

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
holyjoetart said:
2010 Enclave
65000 miles
Bought used at 32,000 miles
Oil changed every 5k miles

Last Monday, my wife was driving to the bank. As she turned into the bank, she heard what she thought was the power steering pump whining loudly and then everything shut off. Had it towed to my house to see what was going on and found a connecting rod sticking out and touching the steering gear. Had it towed to the dealer to get the engine replaced(not under warranty). After the engine was dropped out, the dealer mechanic started removing parts off the old engine, to swap over to the new engine. He couldnt get to the torque converter bolts, so he dropped the oil pan.

Found a couple pieces of mashed up piston.

Took off the left(front) cylinder head, because #2 rod was the one sticking out the block. Didnt get a pick of the bore or valves as I was in a rush. But there was another piston in pieces.

I was looking at the engine, trying to figure out what would cause this, and I saw a rocker arm and spring no longer on its valve, on #1 cylinder, in the right cylinder head. Looked a little more and found the other rocker off as well. The mechanic removed the right head and found no piston in #1 cylinder.

Now it looks to me like the #1 rod is seized on the crank, but I didnt really dig into it. Flipped over the right head and found this:

Now I dont know exactly how this happened, as I am no master of failure analysis, but you are free to speculate and share experience.
Should still be under power train warranty?

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
well being a 2011- it past powertrain.

unless it sat on lot for a long time-- and in service date falls within 5 yrs... but thats a long shot.

Owner - when did you buy it?
long shot--- but worth a try

·
Registered
36 Posts
rbarrios said:
well being a 2011- it past powertrain.

unless it sat on lot for a long time-- and in service date falls within 5 yrs... but thats a long shot.

Owner - when did you buy it?
long shot--- but worth a try
I am told NOT under warranty. Powertrain is 100K or 5 yrs, whichever comes first and it is past 5 yrs.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
any remote possibility that the vehicle sat on the lot till 2012....

Warranty starts on the In service date.....

so if it it was sold as late as 1/11/2012... it would be under warranty--- remote chance--- but some members on here have had luck in stuff being covered- once they saw their in service date - made the car fit the 5 yr timespan

·
Registered
36 Posts
We took delivery 8/31/11 and were told the warranty ended 8/31/16. They told me it would be torn down either by today or tomorrow so they can inspect it for any "blueing" and take pics for me. Then the "magic calculator" comes into play on if it will cost me $2500 or $7000. If it is the $7000 option if they determine it got too hot, not sure how they can determine the cause but we had the oil changed every 5K and it has oil in it now.....and if is the $7000, we are going to tell them to keep that POS and we will be leasing or buying another vehicle and I can tell you, it will NOT be a GM vehicle.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Gadgetmann said:
We took delivery 8/31/11 and were told the warranty ended 8/31/16. They told me it would be torn down either by today or tomorrow so they can inspect it for any "blueing" and take pics for me. Then the "magic calculator" comes into play on if it will cost me $2500 or $7000. If it is the $7000 option if they determine it got too hot, not sure how they can determine the cause but we had the oil changed every 5K and it has oil in it now.....and if is the $7000, we are going to tell them to keep that POS and we will be leasing or buying another vehicle and I can tell you, it will NOT be a GM vehicle.

It definitely dropped a valve, but why is the question? I've been on this forum daily for about 8.5 years and from what I read this is a VERY rare occasion. (like not measurable) Of course it sucks for you, but maybe GM will come through with some reimbursement or point to a failed oil filter or someone elses liability. Maybe the mechanic doing the oil changes screwed up and dropped something in when he was filling the oil and it clogged a passage. Some of the 2009's had timing chain issues, but the 3.6 has been pretty bullet proof from my experience. Good luck, I hope it gets rectified to your satisfaction. Please update us.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
there was a post on a member whose engine died-
turned out the oil filter failed and fell apart and I think clogged passages.

The filter was removed and sent to the filter manufacturer--- who looked at it and determined it had indeed failed.
they paid for the new engine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Update:

The car was towed to the dealership on 12/28/16 and they finally.............got around to getting into the engine and they said that it got very hot and the bearings are melted and blue. They are NOT going to cover anything and it would cost us $7K for a new engine. They don't know what caused this or could not tell us what we did wrong to cause this, sure glad we changed the oil every 5K. The other option we have is they will give us $2K towards a new vehicle. If we don't pay for the new engine they could not tell us how much this shell of a $47K new vehicle is worth to sell it to them.

RIP 2011 Enclave and we will never, ever buy a new or used GM product again.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You tell us you changed the oil every 5000, what kind of oil did you use. If not full synthetic the 5000 in my opinion with these motors is to long. I had a 09 Traverse LTZ with 35000 miles brake a valve spring. The car did the same thing yours did. The dealer found the broken spring but no other damage to the motor. They replaced everything on the same side of the motor, springs, valves. Drove the car until i traded it with 77000 miles. The car was under warranty so no cost to me. Unless you completely trust the dealer i would contact Gm for more answerer about what is going on. They should be able to tell you more since you paid to open it up. But in the real world you never know what they will do for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The oil used was the recommended Dexos oil. I have contacted GM/Buick Customer care and they are looking into this and supposed to have a customer experience manager contact me in 24-48 hours.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
Gadgetmann
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing