EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
155k miles. I had changed the left, front LCA assembly which came with a ball joint. The right side finally went and I decided to grind the rivets off/out to "save" time. Wow, did not save time.

Using a grinder, I put an "X" in each rivet and used a chisel to remove the rivet head. Then used a punch to attempt to push the rivet out (big hammer, big punch). I hammered for 45 minutes! No joy. Got the drill out and used a 3/8" then 1/2" bit. Hammered more - nada. Finally I removed the nut holding the joint shaft to the knuckle and separated the joint from the knuckle. Then whacked the ball joint itself and voila! It FINALLY came off.
I was assuming the rivets would come out like bolts, but these things must be welded in! They do not appear to be welded, but whatever is going on, they are not coming out.

I used a Moog replacement from Rockauto.com. Much to my disappointment, the 3 bolts they supplied were too big. So, had to scrounge and use what I had. Here's the result:

I could see grease in the joint, but decided to put in some anyway. I was surprised how much I put in. Not sure what I should expect, but it definitely came lacking a full dose of grease.

Speaking of grease, I hate using a grease gun. I have broken too many grease fittings and the grease guns I have seem to be pieces of crap, even though they are not cheap. I always get grease everywhere.

I searched on Amazon and found a LockNLube grease gun tip for about $30. It is well worth it! Easy to put on and off and does not leak! I've only used it once (today), but I recommend it thus far.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
lots work...
easier to just replace the lower control arm.. as it comes with a new ball joint and rear bushing.
easy to remove and replace.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts