EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I bought 2011 Buick Enclave No Towing Package. Now I want to Install one I found the following options please suggest (Please remove the spaces in the links :) )

U-Haul: Complete Package (Hitch / Wiring / Tow Ball + Installation ) : $190 Hitch Part #: 78218

The Hitch store : Complete Package h ttp://www .thehitchstore.com/view_package.html?pack_id=38 : $207

E-Trailer: Just the Hitch h ttp://www .etrailer.com/hitch-2011_Buick_Enclave.htm + other stuff would be same as $220.

What I want is are tehse OEM parts are ok.. and the prices.

thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
American said:
What are you going to tow? Weight?
I'm not a big towing guy just regular U-haul trailers, (small) and cargo carriers h ttp://www .discountramps.com/folding-cargo-carrier.htm like these...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hangon said:
I'm not a big towing guy just regular U-haul trailers, (small) and cargo carriers h ttp://www .discountramps.com/folding-cargo-carrier.htm like these...
Anyone....

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
you need to make sure that whichever one you go with- that it allows the bumper cover to hide the hitch.

there are some (at least on the Acadia/Traverse forum that once put on- wont allow the cover to close- as they stick out too much.

You may want to try to get a factory hitch... I know a Lambda owner was able to order the GM hitch.
I think this is cool- because when you install it- you get to use all the screw mount holes...

I recently saw a video- where an aftermarket hitch install - does NOT use 2 of the mounting holes. made me wonder.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rbarrios said:
you need to make sure that whichever one you go with- that it allows the bumper cover to hide the hitch.

there are some (at least on the Acadia/Traverse forum that once put on- wont allow the cover to close- as they stick out too much.

You may want to try to get a factory hitch... I know a Lambda owner was able to order the GM hitch.
I think this is cool- because when you install it- you get to use all the screw mount holes...

I recently saw a video- where an aftermarket hitch install - does NOT use 2 of the mounting holes. made me wonder.
Thanks for the response.. I'm trying to find the GM Partnumber for the HITCH, do you happen to know the link or part # ?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Agreed on being able to use the cover to hide the hitch...few things are as tacky as a nice clean vehicle with a rusted out trailer hitch :facepalm:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
enclavetmudd said:
Agreed on being able to use the cover to hide the hitch...few things are as tacky as a nice clean vehicle with a rusted out trailer hitch :facepalm:
I found the following Item # on Acadia Forum
20781543 The Hitch
11515776 Bolts for the hitch (need 8 )

so what you guys are telling me if I but the above Hitch and install it.. my current cover would fix it to hide.. as opposed to if I buy it from aftermarket..

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
It should...

Theres quite a few Traverse owners who added aftermarket-
OR
Had the dealer add an aftermarket- only to find they cant put the cover back on- since the aftermarket units stick out a little more.

I believe I read a thread on the Traverse or Acadia forum- where he bought- and was told- sure we can add a hitch.
OK- they added it- now he had a useless cover....
He wasnt happy- he went back- and had them change out the hitch for one that allowed the covers use.
I dont remember if they were able to add a factory hitch or an aftermarket hitch that was shorter.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rbarrios said:
It should...

Theres quite a few Traverse owners who added aftermarket-
OR
Had the dealer add an aftermarket- only to find they cant put the cover back on- since the aftermarket units stick out a little more.

I believe I read a thread on the Traverse or Acadia forum- where he bought- and was told- sure we can add a hitch.
OK- they added it- now he had a useless cover....
He wasnt happy- he went back- and had them change out the hitch for one that allowed the covers use.
I dont remember if they were able to add a factory hitch or an aftermarket hitch that was shorter.
Perfect.. thanks for the clarification.. I would hate to piss off my wife Hitch hanging out... :) The cost of the hitch is not much of a difference between aftermarket and gm parts only few bucks.. I would stick with gm part.
Now couple of questions.. I'm not going to tow a boat just going to put on some cargo rack on the back and occassional u-haul trailers.. as I do not have tow package

20781543 The Hitch (Needed)[/color]
11515776 Bolts for the hitch (need 8 ) (Needed)[/color]
12191503 7 pin plug receptical (DO I need this ? )[/color]
25910884 7 pin harness (DO I need this ? )[/color]
25856252 V92 fuse block (without HID), or 25856249 V92 fuse block (with HID) (DO I need this ? )[/color]
15249974 Tow button (with power liftgate) (Not Needed I believe)[/color]
20772530 HD radiator (Not Needed I believe)[/color]
25802203 Trailer brake controller (cheaper to buy from etrailer.com: h ttp://w ww.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Draw-Tite/20269.html) (Not Needed I believe)[/color]

Am I right ?

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
some of the items you list as NEEDED?

are not needed-- UNLESS you want to try to get as close as possible to the factory tow option.
Im not sure how Enclave owners have gone about getting at least turn signals for small trailers (do they have any? im sure some do)-
you know left/right/brake/parking.

I recommend you go to the Acadia forum-- and look up some threads there..
there is a member there who has added ALL the items needed to make it as close to factory.
He added the fuse box, the wiring (for the 7 pin), the tow haul button, etc.

But if you want to just tow what you mention- I would just add the hitch- and I think etrailer sells an electrical kit to get the basic lights (4 pin plug I think).

But I recommend you also read up post on the Traverse, Acadia forums on how other have added just the hitch and the wiring.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
the 7 pin has connections for running lights, brakes, L/R turn, electric trailer brakes, ground, backup lamps, and a + terminal which some use to provide 12 volts to a battery that is contained in a trailer they are towing- as you drive- it charges this battery.
(when you hit the tow button- the alternator is set to output voltage all the time) as compared to normal driving- when the alternator limits output based on need).

I have a rack- which I added turn signals to- and I wired it up to plug into this connector (I have the tow option).
Will you need lights on your rack? most likely not...
but I opted to add them to my rack when I used it to haul stuff on my TRAILBLAZER- and my cargo blocked part of the tailamps.
On the Traverse- you can see the lamps more easily- but it doesnt hurt to have those bright LEDs back there telling people im stopping.
(You can also wire up lights if you get the 4 pin plug from etrailer).
note in the pic below- next to the 7 pin plug. theres a bolt- it has that metal piece to the left of it.. that would hold the 'weld nut' that you screw into.
the aftermarkets use the nut on the long piece of metal.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
this is what caught my attention on the hitch install videos....
the aftermarket units-- only use 2 bolts on each side...

the factory unit uses 3 as shown. (then you add another 2 by the hitch receptable)...

but I thought this was a little odd...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE: Just went to the dealer and found that even If I put in the factory hitch the original cover still does not fit and they have a different cover.

I looked up on one of the vehicles in the lot with tow package, the cover is different and sticks out like ---------V-------- like that...

I think I will try what someone else had one done cut out the original cover and put a plastic cup.. see this pic ht tp://w ww.enclaveforum.net/index.php?action=gallery&g2_itemId=7317

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
enclaves change covers on you... darn. wasnt aware of that...
I do know that replacement covers come primered--- and you have to pay to paint to match the bumper.

on the traverse- the lower area and bumpers are grey... no paint.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went through a whole Trailering Provision analysis since it was very hard to find the Enclave I wanted with the package.

Basically what I learned from talking to several dealers was that the max you should tow without the full package was ~2,000 lbs. The provisioning package includes a transmission cooler which allows you to tow the extra ~2,500 lbs.

Since I only expect to tow up to 2,000 lbs (small trailer, bike rack, motorcycle trailer, etc.) I elected to just go with the OEM hitch and wiring harness. I got the dealer to throw that in for $500 (installed) when I bought it. I believe the cost to them was much more than that (closer to $1,000 if you factor in their labor) but they honored the $500 price they gave me.

In addition to the hitch and wiring, they also included the hitch cover (which they had to paint to match) that does a good job of covering the hitch. All in all I think it looks really good and am very happy I went with the OEM parts instead of aftermarket. It still bothers me that I couldn't get the full trailering provision (which was cheaper), but the only way I could get it would be to order the car and potentially miss out on an expiring incentive.

Hope this helped.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
I am interested in adding a hitch to my Enclave in order to use a hitch-mounted bicycle rack. My bike dealer advised me of a local auto repair shop that installs hitches for about $200. Is this reasonable? Also, is it possible to have an easily detachable hitch installed in order to avoid having the eyesore always showing or needing a bumper cover? ???

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
I am interested in adding a hitch to my Enclave in order to use a hitch-mounted bicycle rack. My bike dealer advised me of a local auto repair shop that installs hitches for about $200. Is this reasonable? Also, is it possible to have an easily detachable hitch installed in order to avoid having the eyesore always showing or needing a bumper cover? ???
Hey Gold too many have had off brands installed and have been unable to put the cover on. You should talk to the dealer and see about ordering the correct hitch. Check to see what they the dealer charges to install it and then see about having a local auto repair shop install it. But make sure they know that the cover needs to fit over the hitch.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
That is sensible advise, Sailfish. :thumb: The dealer would be able to assure me of getting a hitch that fits properly and can accommodate the hitch cover. However, I would like to know if anybody knows if the hitch itself can be easily and quickly mounted and removed just for the bike trips in order to avoid the need for the bumper cover. I do not like the looks of the bare hitch nor the hitch bumper cover. ???

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
About this Discussion
60 Replies
18 Participants
bayliner78
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing