EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - New Enclave owner here. I just bought a new CXL-2 and am looking to upgrade to the LCD remote to get teh extended range. Unfortunately, it's not available on the 2011 model. Has anyone had any issues getting the advanced 2-way remote on the 2011 model? Thanks.

Love the car so far, by the way!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I also wanted the 2-way remote but was disappointed when I learned that it was discontinued for 2011. There is good news. If you own an iphone or an android phone, you can download an app that does everything the 2 way remote did and more. In addition, there is a Buick app that gives you the manual and other features.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's very interesting. And thanks for adding the info videos. I actually installed the app on my Android phone and am, well, a bit blown away. I am concerned though that this might more or less lock me into Onstar, which I think is a good product but a bit expensive. We'll make our decision after our 6 months of free onstar expires.

An interesting tidbit, though. The tech I spoke with actually researched the issue with GM and told me to check back with him in February as their might be a new replacement remote.

Thanks, again!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
the app rocks...wish there was an LCD remote though

·
Registered
183 Posts
I believe manufacturers have to be able to stock parts for 7 years... now as per the reading above, it was discontinued for 2011, so you may not be able to buy a new one anymore? But it looks like it is/was available for the 2010's.... I have a 2011 so as much as I wish I could get that, I am not able.

1 of my stock remotes just want nutz.... I think it started continuously sending a signal, and was causing problems. I would be outside in the middle of the night, and suddenly I would hear the vehicle open.. then a few minutes later, it would lock... on another occasion we would be driving, and the locks in the vehicle (while in motion) would start to cycle: up/down/up/down/up/down... took us about 2 weeks to narrow it down to the remote.

switched to the spare secondary remote, NO issues. took the circuit board out of the first faulty remote, and had it on my dresser and again the locks went nuts.... so it wasn't a bad rubber pad or anything... something on the circuit board is causing the remote to always fire off a signal, even though the circuit board looks PERFECT... no water damage, no signs of broken parts, no bad looking chips... i dunno.

I bought 2 spare remotes from amazon, not GM branded, still have to get them programmed, but don't feel like spending a ton on something like that.... I'm not old - this is my third car that I've owned, and none of my others, nor my parents cars ever had a faulty remote system like the enclave.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have always been intrigued by the "all-in-oneness" of this remote...Feels very 1990's to have both a key and a fob. While it is not hte fancy LCD version, it is better than stock, in my estimation. My only hesitation is the cost to get it programmed, as I have a 2011 and requires expert intervention to work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Replacement-Keyless-Entry-Car-Remote-Flip-Chip-Key-Fob-Control-for-15913415/111817185801?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Uncle Buick...I will be interested to hear your experience getting the Amazon acquired remotes programmed...Dealer vs independent shop, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have a '10 so I could program my own but, according to my secret friend at the dealership, it's a $10 job if you go to an independant locksmith (with the right computer). I bought 2 of those (from another eBay seller). The only issues I had were the quality of the spring that flips the key (one broke, the other bent making both pretty worthless) and the fact that you have to remove the entire back (which frees the spring) to change the battery. The OEM ones (not that they're available for Enclaves) have a split back. You only have to remove the lower 2/3 to change the battery meaning you never have to mess with the spring. On the other hand, the OEM ones are like $75.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Uncle Buick...I will be interested to hear your experience getting the Amazon acquired remotes programmed...Dealer vs independent shop, etc.
I'm calling around getting quotes, and surprisingly so far the dealership has the cheapest price! A bunch of independent locksmiths have gone mobile and want to come to me, and they UPcharge for that. So far I've been quoted between $85-$185 from independents. Dealer has quoted $60. Understandably this is likely a 10 minute job for the tech, and is literally just pressing buttons/arrows on the Tech2 tool... but alas, I cant seem to find that "$10" guy yet... still looking. If it doesn't pan out - then dealership is where I'll go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
Uncle Buick
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing