EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Buick Enclave. The voltmeter in the dash cluster shows about 13.5 volts charging, generally, but occasionally it will drop to around 12. 8 volts, hang there for around a half an hour or so and then move back up to its normal position. It started doing this after a relearn was performed for the engine idle speed. The battery may have been disconnected during the servicing as well (it was a lot of work). The battery is also the OEM unit that came with the car when new. I had the shop do a check on the charging system; they said it showed ok, except for the CCA being about one half its rating and the full charge on the battery was 12.1 volts. I know the on board computer system regulates some of the alternator activities, but any think this is a problem with the alternator itself? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
no.

the alternator is doing what its supposed to.
either outputs more- or less- depending on the batteries charge condition and electrical load.

being a 2011-- and OEM battery-- that battery was probably made in 2010... being almost 6 yrs old now.

If I were you-- Id start searching for a new battery now- and replace it.
No need to have it die on you in the middle of winter... on the side of an icy road.

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=20817.0

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The battery was my prime suspect, but with all this electronic gadgetry in these newer cars, I needed a second opinion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
4merroad4man
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing