EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

2011 Enclave Front End Creaking-Right Turns only

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Girl000333 
#1 ·
Okay, going to try and pick some brains out here as I'm fairly new to the Enclave, not new whatsoever to cars in general. The latest issue thats developed can best be described as a "creaking" in the front suspension. However, this only happens/can be replicated by turning the steering wheel to the right (dry steering). It can be heard driving at lower speeds when turning right, and even moving straight from a stand still. Seems to resonate through the floor, no feeling through the steering wheel. Not happening over bumps (sway bar links or control arm bushings), does not bind when turning (strut mounts), and no lateral "slop" that can be felt. Its simply an annoying creak, definite metal on metal.
So the key to this is "only turning right". Does nothing turning left. That tends to rule out rotating parts (strut/mount, ball joint and tie rod)
Recent work - PS Pump replaced by dealer, Brakes
Also, did I mention it hit a deer before I got it? Front right, but not hard enough to deploy bags, did take out rad, condenser and rad fan, cracked the bumper and destroyed the bumper support... and ate the Buick emblem from the grille! All been repaired with the exception of the wrinkle in the hood.
Mileage - 112,000 kms (70,000 miles) CXL1 2WD

We are driving to Orlando starting friday (from near Toronto), would like to solve this if possible before then! Kids in sports, time is not on my side, and help/ideas would be appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
I had a slight metallic knock.

I slowly replaced suspension pieces because of mileage.
the struts -I installed them at 100,000. I was now at about 144,000.

But sway bar bushings, endlinks, control arm front bushing, lower control arm with new rear bushing and ball joint, tie rods.
Nope noise still there. I could not figure out where the noise was coming from.

The manufacturer sent me free replacement struts because the jounce bumper came loose on mine.

When I removed the strut--- A-HA!!!! I bet this is the source of the noise....
the rubber had worn through- on the upper part of the strut mount. The coil spring was hitting when the suspension moved up/down.
Once the new strut was in-- QUIET!
Compare the rubber from the old and new.
Im thinking your coil spring may be rubbing on the metal plate when your turn the wheel.

#3 ·
Nice pics rbarrios, definitely shows the problem compared to new! However, the key/catch to my issue is the noise only happens when I turn the wheel to the right. And, the car has to be running for a while before it starts...My boss and I have noises coming from our cars, so we went out at lunch today to help trouble shoot for each other... Conclusion... yep, we both have noises that we weren't able to pinpoint! lol
I was able to replicate it, and both of us took turns putting our heads down there, both came to conclusion the noise it generating more inboard. suspension movement is not involved as I can recreate it parked just turning the wheel. Lock to lock turning left, nothing. Lock to lock turning right, it creaks, not constant, but noticeable. From the looks of your situation, it would make noise turning either way. Ball joint and tie rod would be in the same boat.
Sadly, I think I'm looking in the direction of the steering gear.... which we all know is a GM failure to its customers. It was just switched over to Dexron VI when the power steering pump was replaced a few weeks ago, so the pressure change probably did something in the gear. I'll investigate more tonight when I change the oil.

#5 ·
Nice pics rbarrios, definitely shows the problem compared to new! However, the key/catch to my issue is the noise only happens when I turn the wheel to the right. And, the car has to be running for a while before it starts...My boss and I have noises coming from our cars, so we went out at lunch today to help trouble shoot for each other... Conclusion... yep, we both have noises that we weren't able to pinpoint! lol
I was able to replicate it, and both of us took turns putting our heads down there, both came to conclusion the noise it generating more inboard. suspension movement is not involved as I can recreate it parked just turning the wheel. Lock to lock turning left, nothing. Lock to lock turning right, it creaks, not constant, but noticeable. From the looks of your situation, it would make noise turning either way. Ball joint and tie rod would be in the same boat.
Sadly, I think I'm looking in the direction of the steering gear.... which we all know is a GM failure to its customers. It was just switched over to Dexron VI when the power steering pump was replaced a few weeks ago, so the pressure change probably did something in the gear. I'll investigate more tonight when I change the oil.

#4 ·
Well, problem solved. Was a real head scratcher for sure! So, as mentioned, I bought the Enclave damaged... well, there was more that I wasn't aware of. The engine cradle is held on by 4 main bolts through mounts onto the main body. Each also has a reinforcement bracket, 2 bolts to the floor, also bolted with the mains to the engine cradle. The previous owner must have also hit something with the car on the rear right reinforcement... and it was folded up at the mount. Never made a noise since I bought it in May until last week.... shortly after the power steering pump was replaced. Part of that procedure is to remove the main bolts of the cradle to drop it for room to access the PS pump. Well, this must have shifted the reinforcement just enough to start making contact. I still scratch my head as to why it only made turning the wheel to the right, but it did.
I ground it down for now for our trip to Florida, will replace it when I get back. Atleast the noise is gone and it wasn't a major problem! Its a very heavy gauge bracket, they must have hit something VERY hard! I'll post pics sometime, in vacation mode now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.