EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For about 2-3 months my 2011 Enclave has been missing/skipping during acceleration. The best way I know to describe it is it acts like it has bad gas or a fuel filter is clogged. Slight acceleration and it shutters, but you can punch the accelerator and it will take off. I took it to a GM-certified mechanic, he ran his scans and could not find anything. I did the same thing with a very reputable transmission shop. I have ran fuel additives through it, and thought to replace the coil packs but was told that would show up on the scans. There is no check engine light. My next stop is back to the dealer, but would like to avoid that cost. Car has 147K. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
these the factory plugs?

Im curious if there is some oil seepage/water into the spark plug holes--- whic may cause a misfire

·
Registered
1 Posts
2009 AWD CXL Enclave here. Same thing. Vehicle was "shuttering" during mild acceleration, particularly on uphill inclines. Stomp on the gas, car would downshift and accelerate normally. Diagnosis showed cylinder #2 misfiring over 5000 times during these aceleration events. Fix involved removing intake manifold cover, replaced all 6 spark plugs and the #2 ignition coil. Replaced manifold gasket while it was off. Cleaned the throttle body and replaced the air filter. Cost was $499.39 by my trusted mechanic, not the dealership. In summary, the problem is a bad ignition coil. Not an expensive part but labor intensive to access.

·
Registered
401 Posts
peterpilot379 said:
... In summary, the problem is a bad ignition coil. Not an expensive part but labor intensive to access.
When my car had this issue, I just replaced all ignition coils. Since you have to take out the manifold anyway, you might as well do them all. Also, the original spark plugs on my vehicle were AC Delco 41-990, which are a platinum plug made by Bosch (who also made the OEM coils). Platinum plugs have higher resistance than iridium plugs. Add a larger than OEM gap like mine did, and you get misfires. After replacing all my plugs with AC Delco 41-107, which are iridium plugs made by NGK, and AC Delco coils the problem was fixed.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My manual says the replacement part # for the plugs are 47-107, but this sounds like the actual plugs installed from the factory (in yours) were 41-990??

My E only has 98K (KM), but I've noticed that during idle, my rpm's fluctuate every so slightly - probably by 100-200 rpm (theres a you tube video of a guy with an Acadia with the same symptom). I don't think its enough to notice, and I don't really feel any hesitation, but since the needle is right in front of me, I can see it. I'm thinking of changing all of them to see if it will help, but with the cold weather upon us, it may have to wait until the spring/summer.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I was surprised too, but that's what was in there. Platinum plugs (made by Bosch) that were way out of gap. This, plus the coils were probably causing my misfire. One thing you have to remember is that these engines run hot, so this heat may have some effect on the coils and how long they last. Again, once I replaced my coils and plugs the misfire went away. It was a fairly straightforward job too.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Anyone know what the difference is between the 41-107 and the 41-109 plugs? Some sites list either one as the replacement... whats the diff?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Uncle Buick said:
Anyone know what the difference is between the 41-107 and the 41-109 plugs? Some sites list either one as the replacement... whats the diff?

Thanks
Here is some info from the Traverse forum on it. As I haven't done the plugs myself, I can't vouche for what to use or the difference.
http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=12689.0

·
Registered
140 Posts
The difference is the heat range of the plug or how hot the plug tip gets which can effect fouling. I think I remember mention that the plug recommendation changed part way into the 09 or 10 model run with the then new direct injection engines. I would replace with the OEM plugs your vehicle came with.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The owners manual recommends 41-107.
Rick

·
Registered
2011 enclave
16 Posts
For about 2-3 months my 2011 Enclave has been missing/skipping during acceleration. The best way I know to describe it is it acts like it has bad gas or a fuel filter is clogged. Slight acceleration and it shutters, but you can punch the accelerator and it will take off. I took it to a GM-certified mechanic, he ran his scans and could not find anything. I did the same thing with a very reputable transmission shop. I have ran fuel additives through it, and thought to replace the coil packs but was told that would show up on the scans. There is no check engine light. My next stop is back to the dealer, but would like to avoid that cost. Car has 147K. Any ideas?
I've had my 2001 E for 8 months and having same thing, low speed it shudders on rises and on high speeds when coasting. To try and hold speed it starts to do that until it changes gears .Have been thinking its either plugs and coils or fuel pump and filter, both are costly jobs. Don't fancy fuel pump change as the tank has to come out. after reading some of the posts here might try the plug and coil change

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
take note- the 2010- and up- have 2 fuel pumps.
1 in the tank- pushes fuel forward at low pressure.
2nd pump- is attached to the side of the engine. It is 'powered' by an extra lobe on the camshaft... from what I read. This one can take the fuel pressure up to 1500 PSI or so.
also- some parts on the HPFPump, are 1 time use only

·
Registered
1 Posts
i also have a problem under excellerating betweer 40-60 it vibrates my mechanic check tranny fluid it was coffee color so he changed my oil and tranny fluid put a treatment in tranny fluid still vibrates he said it will get better as i drive it i sure hope so

·
Registered
1 Posts
You have a shutter my 2013 was doing it drained 5 qt of tranny fluid and put Dex 6 back in with a shutter guard additive on got on Amazon $20 did the job so far

1 - 17 of 17 Posts