EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 Enclave has had 2 motor mount replacements and a new engine in 63k miles. The second motor mount lasted barely a year. I have never replaced a motor mount in 40 years of owning cars. Recently the AC went out. The dealer reported the problem was the high pressure lines to the firewall were rubbing together causing a failure in one of them. Design error? Buick service manager says"stuff breaks". The mechanic could only think of one other time he had seen it in 30 years. I asked if the problem could have been caused when they replaced the engine...Of course not, that is one thing he is completely sure of. The lines were never touched in the removal and reentry of the engine... Whatever. I have seen a lot of posts relating to what is probably broken motor mounts. It is definitely felt when the car is starting in motion. Of course it feels like the engine clunks when you hit the gas-the engine is contacting the frame!!!!!!!!! The head Service manager told me not to worry, because it is not a safety issue-the engine won't fall out!!!! Wow, what a corporate tool. I asked him if he would let his wife drive in a car that is broken like that. Crickets. Maybe if enough people report this issue GM will be forced to fix the actual problem-mounts which are not strong enough to do the job. Any others experiencing these issues?

·
Registered
657 Posts
"The mechanic could only think of one other time he had seen it in 30 years". He recently transferred from Toyota dealership, that is why he did not seen the broken buick engine mounts. :) :) :) :).

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Hum another poster with 2 posts and then suddenly dissappears...

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you have to replace the motor mounts for a second time in 63K miles, then maybe they didn't replace both when they first changed it? Or, they didn't use completely new parts? When I had a Pontiac Firebird, they had to replace the wheel bearing because the ABS sensor attached to it was bad. The replacement lasted maybe 2 years. I had a friend change it, and it lasted until I got rid of the car several years later.

·
Registered
155 Posts
SOOO glad I bought the extended warranty when I bought this 2009 Enclave used in 2013. ;D I think I paid around $1800 for the warranty and they have now paid out about $8 or $9000 in repairs! Just had a front engine mount and an engine "strut"(a type of mount to limit the "rocking" of the engine installed at the Cadillac dealer where I bought the car(They had installed a front engine mount about a year ago). On this visit, they also repaired a seal on the transmission and two new front struts due to leakage, which had also been replaced last year. They also removed and resealed engine front cover, cleaned all mating surfaces, replaced valve cover gaskets, intake gasket, front crank seal, water pump gasket behind cover. The total charges for this visit were $3713, and I just paid my $100 deductible :blob: The name of the extended service company is First Guard, and I got the Ultimate Protection package, if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a GM Certified 2011 Enclave in March of 2015 from a dealer in PA, which would be my second Enclave to have owned (yes, I like them... a lot). After driving it for approximately 6 weeks I started to notice a mild vibration at 1000 RPM only. Not thinking too much of it, I decided to wait a few weeks, continue to monitor, then bring it to the attention of my local dealership in SC when regular service was to be performed. The dealer discovered one of the motor mounts needed replacement which was covered under warranty and that this is what was causing the vibration. As I started to pull away, I noticed the vibration was still there, though not as noticeable. I backed up to the service counter letting them know it still had the vibration so it was kept to be worked on again. They had discovered the other mount needed replacement as well and did so. Picked up the car the next day, again, pulled out, still vibrating but it did seem better. They then diagnose it as something to do with the exhaust which was not covered under warranty. So at that point, I decided it could be livable. I tried to convince myself it had to be there since I purchased and just missed it. In November of 2015 I received a notice informing me of a known issue with the throttle-position sensor which may cause the engine to run rough. I recently take the car in for regular service bringing the notification to the dealers attention and also made them aware of the vibration issue which had progressively gotten worse again. They called me to let me know the had to replace yet another motor mount, and again, when driving off, still the vibration. Tech comes to look at it, car gets pulled in the shop to replace the other motor mount. Now my car sits in the dealership over the weekend waiting for it's second set of motor mounts in just under 20K miles. I suspect the low range vibration has something to do with this but I could certainly never prove it. I will be in touch with the regional GM rep once I get me car returned. Hopefully I can let y'all know how this turns out.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
:welcome: to the forum, eaglebub7. Looking forward to your report after the mounts are replaced. I don't think the 11's have a vibration dampening mount like my 08 does. But, I have a disconnected vacuum line to one of my motor mounts, that I will be replacing once my hose line comes in. But I haven't noticed any differ in any vibrations, more or less than before I discovered the severed line. As I don't know if it has been like this sine I bought the car or not, I will be anxious to see if there is any difference once I fix that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Finally, able to add to this thread. Yes, it has taken this long to get my car back. After having the car for a week and a half, dealer found there is an apparent known issue with motor mount. As I am told, the front mount was the culprit for the broken mounts. According to Service Manager, the fix on the front mount requires the addition of some sort of shield to assist with heat, we'll see how this holds up. As for the vibration...still have it. According to dealership and GM, this is another "known" issue and considered "normal" (not by me). I am told I can get rid of the vibration by replacing the flex-pipe for some $756.00 + out of my pocket. When I ask them if there is damage, holes etc to the flex-pipe, I'm told no. My questions to them; Has the part been redesigned to prevent the vibration? Why do I pay to replace a part that is not broken? As you can imagine, this goes round and round for a bit, finally, they tell me, "even if you do replace the flex-pipe, the vibration will be back in the system (design flaw to me) within roughly 15K miles". SAY WHAT!? So, later I'm told they can help with the cost, one time only. So I guess I must decide how much I really love the Enclave, as the end result of me keeping it is for me to replace the flex-pipe every 15K mile at 756+ a pop. As you can imagine, I am rather disappointed. :banghead:

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
the only thing I have read about involving the motor mount-- is for the front---
the addition of a washer to help decrease heat transfer from the front area ( the cat converter that is nearby).

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
I flew my Enclave over railroad tracks, and the original motor mounts were still working perfectly after about 114,500 miles when I traded it in. So, I'm surprised to read of failures, though very few have been reported to date.

·
Registered
123 Posts
eaglebub7 said:
Finally, able to add to this thread. Yes, it has taken this long to get my car back. After having the car for a week and a half, dealer found there is an apparent known issue with motor mount. As I am told, the front mount was the culprit for the broken mounts. According to Service Manager, the fix on the front mount requires the addition of some sort of shield to assist with heat, we'll see how this holds up. As for the vibration...still have it. According to dealership and GM, this is another "known" issue and considered "normal" (not by me). I am told I can get rid of the vibration by replacing the flex-pipe for some $756.00 + out of my pocket. When I ask them if there is damage, holes etc to the flex-pipe, I'm told no. My questions to them; Has the part been redesigned to prevent the vibration? Why do I pay to replace a part that is not broken? As you can imagine, this goes round and round for a bit, finally, they tell me, "even if you do replace the flex-pipe, the vibration will be back in the system (design flaw to me) within roughly 15K miles". SAY WHAT!? So, later I'm told they can help with the cost, one time only. So I guess I must decide how much I really love the Enclave, as the end result of me keeping it is for me to replace the flex-pipe every 15K mile at 756+ a pop. As you can imagine, I am rather disappointed. :banghead:

When does the vibration occur? I am curious if it is felt when accelerating just off-idle when taking off?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Happens with any action that revs the engine in the 1k RPM band. Could be cool weather start up, take off at traffic light, even feathering the throttle down a long driveway at the dealership.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wondering if anyone has any new updates on this topic? Has the noise stayed away? I have underlying engine noise when pressing gas pedal at 1200-1400 RPM and it's currently in the shop, awaiting diagnosis. Just had the Front Mount and associated Strut replaced 3 months ago. Noise present since then. Thanks.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I had a flex pipe replaced recently and when the engine was really hot the pipe would expand just enough that it would rub the front skid plate/brace that goes across the bottom of the engine. I fixed it by adding 3/16" of washers under each of the four mounting bolts. Noise is gone. If you let it cool for a minute or two the noise was gone so it took a bit of time to find, but that was the problem. My front motor mount I changed also and the torque mount up top. The front mount only made a noise going forward from a stop.

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
silvervettes said:
I had a flex pipe replaced recently and when the engine was really hot the pipe would expand just enough that it would rub the front skid plate/brace that goes across the bottom of the engine. I fixed it by adding 3/16" of washers under each of the four mounting bolts. Noise is gone. If you let it cool for a minute or two the noise was gone so it took a bit of time to find, but that was the problem. My front motor mount I changed also and the torque mount up top. The front mount only made a noise going forward from a stop.
Great info! This could save some folks a lot of grief.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2011 Enclave has had 2 motor mount replacements and a new engine in 63k miles. The second motor mount lasted barely a year. I have never replaced a motor mount in 40 years of owning cars. Recently the AC went out. The dealer reported the problem was the high pressure lines to the firewall were rubbing together causing a failure in one of them. Design error? Buick service manager says"stuff breaks". The mechanic could only think of one other time he had seen it in 30 years. I asked if the problem could have been caused when they replaced the engine...Of course not, that is one thing he is completely sure of. The lines were never touched in the removal and reentry of the engine... Whatever. I have seen a lot of posts relating to what is probably broken motor mounts. It is definitely felt when the car is starting in motion. Of course it feels like the engine clunks when you hit the gas-the engine is contacting the frame!!!!!!!!! The head Service manager told me not to worry, because it is not a safety issue-the engine won't fall out!!!! Wow, what a corporate tool. I asked him if he would let his wife drive in a car that is broken like that. Crickets. Maybe if enough people report this issue GM will be forced to fix the actual problem-mounts which are not strong enough to do the job. Any others experiencing these issues?
OMG I just had one of the from engine mounts replaced and now I need another! These cars seem to have quite a bit of from end work needed! I have already replaced the catalyst converter, and tires multiple times! Now my wipers won’t work and my a/c is out! I’m told it’s the upper line for the a/c!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts