EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
To be clear I didn't say it was a common issue - that was a reference the manager made to the database he checked and I asked as part of my question how common this issue is. Since I'm living it right now and when I did a Google search on the issue this post came up as a current post as of today it seems that there is evidence that there is a problem other than "driver error". I don't have access to the "database" or whatever the dealer was referencing on how they track problems to see whether in fact there is other evidence there of the issue but unlike my experience it sounds like the original poster had it covered under warranty which is all I asked of my dealer and they are refusing saying it is not covered by Buick.

GoldEnclave, I’m not a car expert and the earlier references in the thread to things like scanning the rotors temperature are way beyond my understanding but your point about tire wear is a great one and no, the tire wear seems very standard with nothing unusual as far as I can tell. Also, I don't understand why the wear would be so different between the front and rear brakes unless there was some type of an issue?

·
Registered
212 Posts
The Infinity M35 awd version wears out its rear brakes first. I questioned this as well, but I saw the brake linings and rotors and the fronts as well and it is definitely true. I always thought the front brakes did most of the work and thereby exhibit wear first, but this is reversed in the M35, so I don't know if this is the situation with the Enclave. Something is wrong however, I have 32k miles on my Enclave and all the brakes still have plenty of beef left. I know driving styles affect brake wear, but 18k miles is very low for significant brake wear on an Enclave, I would think.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
oaibob said:
OMG

I can't believe this post! I had the squealing problem since new (2011) under 20 k. When I looked at the rotors, they looked horrible and grooved.

When taking in the first time I was told was the rear brakes do the majority of the stopping. Really? Having been around racing for years and doing my own mechanical work I could not believe they told me this. They turned the rotors and it went away for 8k (27k total miles) miles. I took it back and they sanded the pads and turned the rotors again "as a courtesy" to me. Now I have warped rotors again that I can feel at 50k. Wonder what I will be told this time. It may be a wearable part but this is bs. The fronts are fine and by the way my last two Envoys were over 100k with no brake work.

Reminds me of a major problem I reported on one Envoy since new. Riding down the highway the car would start to shimmy. If you continued it would become violent. If you stopped, it would go away for a week or two. rotors and everything looked good. Turns out three years of living with it, My GM master mechanic brother in law told me to lift up on the brake pedal when it happens. I did and it would go away. Months later a GM friend I had explained this to called to say there was a bulletin on the problem. Seems the solution was to replace the booster and master cylinder.

Getting sidetracked here but I really would hope GM steps up and fixes my Enclave "as a courtesy" I'm sure there have to be others out there now experincing this issue

oaibob,
I would like to apologize for the issues that you are experiencing with your Enclave. I would be happy to look into this further for you. Can you please send me a PM with your name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage and the name of your dealer? I look forward to hearing back from you.
Thank you,
Stacy Buick Customer Service

·
Registered
4 Posts
As an update, customer service has opened a case on my issue and I'm taking it to another dealer for an inspection. New dealership service confirmed via phone that majority of the braking on an Enclave is on the front brakes and that brake pads should not wear through anywhere close to 20k miles, however he also indicated that since the brake pads and rotors have now been replaced he is not sure what if anything he will find when he performs the inspection. Found out that the dealer who did the work and claimed it was driver error is going out of business this Friday the 18th; very concerned about what caused the brake issue and what damage has been done to my Enclave but hopefully the new dealership will be able to shed light on this or at least make sure it is fixed properly so there aren't further issues going forward.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new to the forum as I am losing sleep over this exact issue. I am not a "bring to the dealership kind of guy" for many reasons, but I buy good quality products and vehicles so that I do not have to deal with these issues.
My Enclave is a 2011, just turned 32,000 and its passenger side rear brakes are metal on metal. My wife said to me "honey when I stopped today it sounded like something was dragging under the car" Living in the northeast and it being winter and all, you do not just go out and pull a tire, so knowing that I needed to replace the pads because last week I replaced the tires on it and saw the fronts were low, never thinking it could be the rear brakes. I have never seen rear brakes look like this nor has anyone that I am dealing with at the parts store, to the point no one has rotors or brakes in stock because normal cars brake 80% FRONT, apparently not the Enclave. Do I now go after the dealer for this issue?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I started this post. I would definitely take it to the dealership. Brakes are not covered against normal wear but they are covered for defects. The rear brakes wearing out early is not normal wear. If Buick turns you down then you could consider other options. There has to be something causing this rear break premature wear out. The manufacturers monitor warranty repairs and getting this on record is the only way to get them to figure out what is wrong. We have to remember that this is occurring on some Enclaves not all Enclaves. There has to be a reason.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the advise, I will be reaching out to them tomorrow. I have just completed the rears, it took about an hour a piece, both inside rear pads were gone, the passenger side was metal on metal no pad left and the driver side rear was rivot on metal. The wierd thing is i never felt any pulsating, heard a noise or anything until they were to this point. the car now drives and brakes like new, it is amazing to me how fast they were brought to this condition.
I can probably shed some light for others if they have a place and some tools to do it themselves, feel free to reach out to me and i will help the best i can.

·
Registered
435 Posts
This probably has nothing to do with the Enclaves. Before I bought my '08, I had an '05 Buick Terraza. After I had it serviced by a very good dealer, at about 15,000 miles (I think), I noticed that the rear brakes seemed to be dragging. I got out and checked the rear wheels...they were hot. I brought the car back and the service manager checked the brakes for me. It seemed that the tech thought the "hand" brake was a little loose so he "adjusted" it. A little too much!! It was fine after they "re-adjusted" it, but I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't noticed it or it it was just a "little" bit too tight?
This same dealership continued to always service all my Buicks and they always did a great job. Just an honest mistake, but I guess you always have to re-check things.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Though my memory is a it foggy about this matter, I believer that I had the front brakes changed with only about 35,000 miles on them and the rears at about 50,000. The rotors were turned, if I recall correctly, during both brake jobs. For about the last 5,000 miles, or so, the my Enclave shakes noticeably, and the steering wheel vibrates, when braking from high speeds. I will get my car to the dealer for evaluation within the next two thousand miles, or so, and will have them diagnose the cause. I expect them to tell me that the rotors need to be turned again or replaced, and that I need new pads in he front again. I will report the results of the service as soon as it occurs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have a 2011 Enclave with low miles (25K) and premature rear brake wear. Rotors were pitted and groved and pads were shot - both sides. I just stumbed accross this forum when researching this issue - already got the brakes fixed by a local shop. Too bad, as reading just now, I'm sure it would have been covered by the TSB for free at a GM dealer. Oh well.

Interesting that this bizare issue doesn't seem to happen for everyone. One thing I wanted to throw out there - my Enclave is AWD. For those others who have experienced this issue, are your vehicles also AWD?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
DJW said:
I too have a 2011 Enclave with low miles (25K) and premature rear brake wear. Rotors were pitted and groved and pads were shot - both sides. I just stumbled across this forum when researching this issue - already got the brakes fixed by a local shop. Too bad, as reading just now, I'm sure it would have been covered by the TSB for free at a GM dealer. Oh well.

Interesting that this bizarre issue doesn't seem to happen for everyone. One thing I wanted to throw out there - my Enclave is AWD. For those others who have experienced this issue, are your vehicles also AWD?
I am the original poster and mine is AWD as well. If your 2011 is still in warranty I would take the receipt to the dealership and ask them to submit it for GM to reimburse you. I would tell them that you thought it was maintenance until you learned that others are having the same issue.

Frank

·
Registered
717 Posts
Not sure if this helps or not but the '07-'13 Jeep Wranglers wear out the rear brakes faster than fronts. Its not cause the Jeep uses more rear pad in stopping its due to the Jeep Stability Control system using the rear brakes to make adjustments when it detects spin.

The Jeep is RWD so on wet roads this can happen frequently so most Jeep owners replace rear pads between 25-35k. I did my rears at 32K and now at 58k have yet to do the fronts.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
goochman said:
Not sure if this helps or not but the '07-'13 Jeep Wranglers wear out the rear brakes faster than fronts. Its not cause the Jeep uses more rear pad in stopping its due to the Jeep Stability Control system using the rear brakes to make adjustments when it detects spin.

The Jeep is RWD so on wet roads this can happen frequently so most Jeep owners replace rear pads between 25-35k. I did my rears at 32K and now at 58k have yet to do the fronts.
Seems to be common nowadays, rears wearing out before fronts. As an experiment, we drove the Enclave in reverse for the last 8k, and instead of making the situation better, it made it worse. Dunno what we were thinking, Ferris Bueller I guess.... :angryfire:

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
Though my memory is a it foggy about this matter, I believer that I had the front brakes changed with only about 35,000 miles on them and the rears at about 50,000. The rotors were turned, if I recall correctly, during both brake jobs. For about the last 5,000 miles, or so, the my Enclave shakes noticeably, and the steering wheel vibrates, when braking from high speeds. I will get my car to the dealer for evaluation within the next two thousand miles, or so, and will have them diagnose the cause. I expect them to tell me that the rotors need to be turned again or replaced, and that I need new pads in he front again. I will report the results of the service as soon as it occurs.
A couple of months ago, I had the front pads changed and rotors replaced by an independent service garage. The rear pads and rotors were still fine. The mileage on the odometer was about 72,000 at the time. The new rotors are the same as the OEM AC Delco parts, while the new pads are Raybestos instead of OEM Akebono. My impression is that the Reybestos pads have a bit less grip than the OEMs, but they are just as smooth and quiet. The shop informed me that they also come with a Lifetime Warranty, so that I will never pay for replacement pads.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
john 070 said:
Seems to be common nowadays, rears wearing out before fronts. As an experiment, we drove the Enclave in reverse for the last 8k, and instead of making the situation better, it made it worse. Dunno what we were thinking, Ferris Bueller I guess.... :angryfire:
Wow! What a pointless waste of time, it turned out, huh. ;D

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
Wow! What a pointless waste of time, it turned out, huh. ;D
Yep, but about 5k into it, we found that we enjoyed driving in reverse better than driving forward. So now we're trying it with the other 2 cars. :happy:

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Sounds like the 86-year-old guy... :happy: :happy:

41 - 60 of 84 Posts