EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, although this is no longer my problem as I sold the E last week, the new owner sent me the estimate for the safety check.... the mechanic he used has called for all 4 Pads/rotors and Calipers! Along with a steering rack, and motor mount (the latter I knew and disclosed to the buyer) So, the E has 150,000kms (under 100,000 miles), is rust free and serviced regularly, driven daily and had no previous issues with the brakes. I put them on new at 104,000 kms with premium ceramic pads/coated rotors, so 45,000kms (28,000 miles) and the pads/rotors are done? Hard to believe that alone, but calling all 4 calipers?? Now I know either he was trying to scam me and try and get money back (was sold "as is"), or he is being taken advantage of by the mechanic. There is no way all 4 calipers have seized, there was no pull, no warped rotors , no cracked rotors.... Anyone had issue with their calipers? As for the rack... GM replaced my PS pump at 106,000kms under the extended warranty, hasn't used a drop of PS fluid since.... like I say, not my issue, but I feel bad for the guy stuck with a $3300 quote to safety a vehicle he paid $8750 for!

Any thoughts??

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
no issues with my 2010 with 163,000. In fact I just changed my factory rear pads about 2000 miles ago.
Im in California so its really rust free.
But yeah-I doubt that theyre gone with only 28,000 miles.
He should get a 2nd opinion

·
Super Moderator
653 Posts
You sold a used car with almost 100k miles private party. It's as-is. Tell him to pound salt and the brakes were fine when you sold it.

Personally I wouldn't have even responded to the buyer if he came to me with some garbage like that. If he wanted a warranty he should have bought from a dealer. Besides that there's more than a good chance the shop is lying to take advantage of him. At least he's not down here where "covid checks" mean every repair shop is quoting $1400 for pretty much every job right now.

I just had to replace both rear calipers on my 2013 with less than 75k miles at the time. It's a GM product driven in the NE... salt makes stuff fail.

Somewhat related, I sold a TV on FB marketplace last week. The guy messaged me and said it fell over in his van on the way home and cracked. Not sure if he expected me to do much but my only response was, "wow, that sucks". 😂

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
795 Posts
Have him go to another Mechanic and also to a GM Dealer, then compare exactly what needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
367 Posts
He's full of cr--. I have never had a GM caliper go bad EVER. Even the ones I got from the junk yard years ago when I converted a '67 Camaro to disk from drum brakes ... even those never gave an issue. To have four go bad ... tell the guy to RUN from that shop.

·
Registered
2011 enclave
5 Posts
So, although this is no longer my problem as I sold the E last week, the new owner sent me the estimate for the safety check.... the mechanic he used has called for all 4 Pads/rotors and Calipers! Along with a steering rack, and motor mount (the latter I knew and disclosed to the buyer) So, the E has 150,000kms (under 100,000 miles), is rust free and serviced regularly, driven daily and had no previous issues with the brakes. I put them on new at 104,000 kms with premium ceramic pads/coated rotors, so 45,000kms (28,000 miles) and the pads/rotors are done? Hard to believe that alone, but calling all 4 calipers?? Now I know either he was trying to scam me and try and get money back (was sold "as is"), or he is being taken advantage of by the mechanic. There is no way all 4 calipers have seized, there was no pull, no warped rotors , no cracked rotors.... Anyone had issue with their calipers? As for the rack... GM replaced my PS pump at 106,000kms under the extended warranty, hasn't used a drop of PS fluid since.... like I say, not my issue, but I feel bad for the guy stuck with a $3300 quote to safety a vehicle he paid $8750 for!

Any thoughts??
I purchased a 2011 model back in July, has 157000 on the clock and no problems with brakes, will be checking them soon and if they need changing will order the parts and replace them myself. Did all that on the 2004 ram 4 years ago, rotors, pads and rear calipers, total cost was 250, still working great. Someone's playing a swifty.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Tell the guy sorry, but its as-is and the defective parts (if they really are) were not showing any signs of defects to the leyperson. In other words your not a mechanic and sold the car in good faith disclosing what you did know such as the motor mount.

I never understood why people would not have their prospective purchase inspected BEFORE they bought it but almost immediately after, they took it to a mechanic to have it inspected. Then comes the "laundry list" of what it needs from the shop. 4 calipers shot is not likely but possibly one front and one rear caliper show uneven pad wear and calipers should be replaced in pairs. Leaking steering rack? Or is it a seep? With 100k miles a leak or seep from something is to be expected, however, if its something like a head gasket leaking oil or coolant, thats a deal breaker. There are too many mechanics out there that try to make a brand new car out of an old one by recommeding too many repairs.
Dealers and chain store repair shops service writers are all commissioned sales people, hence lots of repairs recommended. You situation isn't fair to you but it might be best if you give the guy back a few hundred. He may not expect it, take the money and run. Write him a check or get a receipt with either noting the money you are giving back is "full and final payment" or "Payment in accord and satisfaction". Now he can't come back for more $$.

Disclaimer: I'm not an attorney and you should consult with one before you write/enter any legal agreement.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback, good to hear coming from other Enclave owners. He was a nice guy, and also since has said he doesn't blame me for anything and enjoyed dealing with me. I never represented myself as a mechanic, and disclosed all info I knew was needed and what I had done. I just feel bad he was being taken for a ride by another "mechanic" trying to line his pockets. Last I heard, the mechanic was going to "show him" the issues. I told him to make sure he asks the mechanic to differentiate "needed for safety" vs "what I recommend" from the mechanic. They should not be the same. He might recommend changing the pads and rotors, but if they meet ministry minimum requirements, they should pass safety. Thats where you can differentiate a moral mechanic vs a scammer. 4 calipers.... what a joke. That actually makes me angry.

That being said, I'm signing off on here as I no longer have the Enclave. I have enjoyed this forum, found lots of info here and learned quite a bit. However, we now have 2 Toyotas parked in the driveway, and should be that way for a long time. They do put the food on my table and a roof over our heads, so there is a bit of loyalty for that reason... lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts