EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took delivery of 1 2012 Buick Enclave AWD last October. just found out that FM radio is static noise laden, unbearable for listening to news for daily commute. XM radio is good, but subscription expired

took to dealer service department, receptionist took a ride along with me, he said there is nothing they can do about it, FM antenna is built in front window, no external antenna, the external antenna we had is for XM and OnStar only

am I expecting too much from FM radio? I rented several cars, with price tag half what I paid( $48.3k ), but seems they all have crystal clear news on FM radio

even I can live without FM radio, with such crappy FM radio, I will have problem reselling the vehicle later

regretting buying Buick Enclave, I should have cough'd up $10K more to get a BMW X5

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
FM antenna is on the rear.

the base is the XM.

GPS for Onstar is under the top console.

who said the antenna is in the windshield?

The AM antenna is coupled with the defroster grid in the back window.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I assume you are under BTW warranty. Insist he fix your problem. This is NOT normal. If he refuses, go to the GM zone manager or find a reputable dealer. :angryfire:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
fm_static said:
took delivery of 1 2012 Buick Enclave AWD last October. just found out that FM radio is static noise laden, unbearable for listening to news for daily commute. XM radio is good, but subscription expired

took to dealer service department, receptionist took a ride along with me, he said there is nothing they can do about it, FM antenna is built in front window, no external antenna, the external antenna we had is for XM and OnStar only

am I expecting too much from FM radio? I rented several cars, with price tag half what I paid( $48.3k ), but seems they all have crystal clear news on FM radio

even I can live without FM radio, with such crappy FM radio, I will have problem reselling the vehicle later

regretting buying Buick Enclave, I should have cough'd up $10K more to get a BMW X5

fm_static,
I would like to apologize for the issues that you are experiencing with your audio system. I would be happy to look into this further for you. If you would like me to do this please send me a PM with your name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage and the name of your dealer. Either way, please keep me posted and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,
Stacy Buick Customer Service

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Buick Customer Service said:
fm_static,
I would like to apologize for the issues that you are experiencing with your audio system. I would be happy to look into this further for you. If you would like me to do this please send me a PM with your name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage and the name of your dealer. Either way, please keep me posted and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,
Stacy Buick Customer Service
thanks for all the support I got from folks in this forum, I did notice high-pitch chirping sound when starting the car, but it dies down in a few 10s seconds. I also noticed once in a while both AM and FM radio had that horrible high pitch chirping sound before going away for no reason. but they are relatively rare events. so I can live with that. lucky me in this regard.

an update on the issue I had

after being turned away by the dealer the first time, I found in the owner manual printing black and white that FM antenna is the pigtail on the roof, so I took the car in the 2nd time with owner manual and asked for a mechanic riding along with me. the mechanic noticed the annoying static immediately.

they kept the car for 2 days without giving me a loaner car. this time front desk told me it's fixed and it's all due to a wrong resistor installed at antenna socket on the roof. I found out the minute I drove my car off dealer lot that it's not fixed at all. the same annoying static when I switched to news radio. they had switched to some mexico musical station from news radio when I took my car, which I didn't understand a word what's playing on, but the music did make fm static not that prominent. I'm busy at that point, so I took the car back without going through the hassle again

I took the car in for a third time when I'm free to go through the hassle again. they kept the car for 2 days without loaner. then they called me they didn't find anything wrong with my radio and they had compared my car to other enclaves, and they are the same performance with regard to radio. I went to the dealer asking for a demo of the same radio issue on the compare enclave, then they told me they don't have 2012 enclaves and comparing 2013 model they have with my 2012 model is comparing apple to orange. I asked for contacts of local GM representatives so that I can take my car there to get more help, they didn't give me the contacts, but they did point me to Customer Assistance info on Owner Manual

I'm so frustrated with my dealer and saw no hope of getting my radio fixed through the dealer. I'm sending a PM to Stacy Buick Customer Service hoping she can give me a pointer where I can get help.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You don't have to limit yourself to Buick dealers (altough they may be amoung the best)...

If there is a reputable Chevy dealer near you obviously they will cover warranty work also...

You may want to ask them to listen to a 2012 (Traverse) radio with you, so you can easily say: 'see how clear that sounds'...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Not sure if that is bad coming from a die-hard Chevy guy such as yourself... :angel:
rbarrios said:
you can also try a GMC dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you please tell me whatever happen for you in this situation? I just bought a 2012 Enclave and as soon as dealer set up XM the FM stopped working. So they have replaced the radio with a new one identical to the one old one that was already in the car. Now I have FM but it has static just like you are describing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can you please tell me whatever happen for you in this situation? I just bought a 2012 Enclave and as soon as dealer set up XM the FM stopped working. So they have replaced the radio with a new one identical to the one old one that was already in the car. Now I have FM but it has static just like you are describing.
I have the same issue with my 2012. When I was looking at all the crazy dash settings it seems like there may be something I can switch to change away from XM. Even tho the presets and display say it's on FM. I don't know but and my second rate used car dealer wants to take the dash apart to figure it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts