EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Buick Enclave with 107,000 miles. My transmission was slipping when it changed gears. I took it to several shops and every mechanic said Enclaves have transmission issues and it would need to be rebuilt. I called my local dealership in Valparaiso, Indiana and asked about the cost. I was told that it would be around $4,350 but I might be able to obtain a discount depending on whether I routinely repair my car at their shop and whether I was a long standing customer who purchased vehicles from them. I found that a bit discriminatory so I tool my vehicle to a local transmission shop and have the transmission rebuilt for $2,850. They used 2020 GM parts to rebuild the transmission. Buick said the transmission issue for this year is not under a current recall. However, I see alot of transmission issues with 2012 year online. There also is a class action suit for later years. I feel GM should share in the cost to replace this transmission as a matter of good client care; especially since this issue on-going. I am so disappointed with this vehicle. It was the first vehicle I spent so much money to purchase. I guess I had to high expectations from GM.

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
704 Posts
These 6 speed transmissions had their issues, especially the 3-5-R waveplate. GM and Ford shared in the design and the Ford Transmissions didn't have the same problems as the Generals, they had better treated waveplates. The newer transmissions are using a 9 speed gearing, they are having their own issues, they couldn't get the 6 speed right and had to go to a 9 speed.:unsure:
Anyway you got a good deal for $2850. I had a 08 and my rebuild, after the special coverage, cost me 4K at an independent shop.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Stephanie,

Here is my experience with my old ‘12 Enclave:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Stephanie, I feel bad for your issue, but you need to understand that if vehicle manufacturers are going to cover repairs on vehicles with over 100,000 miles, the MSRP is going to go up dramatically to cover these repairs. When the manufacturer calculates the MSRP on vehicles, it takes into consideration the estimated costs to repair the vehicle while under factory warranty. Believe me, you are going to pay for the repairs one way or another. Up front or on the back side. With the high cost of parts and labor now days, I always tell people, if you plan on keeping your vehicle for 100,000 miles or more look into an extended warranty. In a lot of cases, a transmission overhaul will exceed the cost of the extended warranty. I prefer 3 year leases, so the only thing I have to pay out of pocket are oil changes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2012 Buick Enclave with 107,000 miles. My transmission was slipping when it changed gears. I took it to several shops and every mechanic said Enclaves have transmission issues and it would need to be rebuilt. I called my local dealership in Valparaiso, Indiana and asked about the cost. I was told that it would be around $4,350 but I might be able to obtain a discount depending on whether I routinely repair my car at their shop and whether I was a long standing customer who purchased vehicles from them. I found that a bit discriminatory so I tool my vehicle to a local transmission shop and have the transmission rebuilt for $2,850. They used 2020 GM parts to rebuild the transmission. Buick said the transmission issue for this year is not under a current recall. However, I see alot of transmission issues with 2012 year online. There also is a class action suit for later years. I feel GM should share in the cost to replace this transmission as a matter of good client care; especially since this issue on-going. I am so disappointed with this vehicle. It was the first vehicle I spent so much money to purchase. I guess I had to high expectations from GM.
You need a transmission fluid change at 60K miles to reduce any future issues. Helps a lot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 2012 that "shudders" during light acceleration up and slight incline. I just keep adding a small tube of Lubeguard Shudderfix to the transmission and it fixes it for a couple months. you might try that first. You should probably get a trans fluid charge (not flush) done first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Our 2011 trans died the exact same way at 150k miles. If yours does not have the towing package, then the trans is cooled through the radiator. In mine, the radiator leaked into the trans. The friction material and water/glycol do not play nicely together. Long way for me to get around to saying that a rebuild installed for under $3k is fair price.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
All 1st gens are cooled via the radiator
With or without the package.
The difference is- that the tow package with Heavy duty cooling have a radiator with either more fins or more rows for increased cooling.... (but the trans fluid and engine coolant radiators are packed toghether into 1 assembly with their own passages)

That little radiator that you can see in the front- many people think is an external trans fluid cooler... which it is NOT.
That is actually the Power steering fluid cooler.

as for the op---
that $2800 price-- is a deal compared to what others have paid

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. I was not aware of that. Do the 2nd gen have a separate cooler or do the use the same method as the first gen?

·
Registered
351 Posts
If the Ford version of these transmissions are not having issues, it's because GM opted to use cheaper parts. Some MBA at GM probably figured he could save $x of money using slightly cheaper wave plates, transmission control module, or torque converter (for example) that would last up until warranty at best. The end result is expensive repairs outside of warranty. Ask me how I know. My 09 Buick Enclave has been the most expensive car I have ever owned with respect to repairs, and I do take care of my cars. My transmission fluid was changed every 25,000 miles, and I still had transmission problems requiring a rebuild when my car had about 73,000 miles.

GM should have perfected the 6 speed before trying to build a 9 speed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't think anyone's (manufacturer) small FWD transmissions are very good for long term reliability. At Land Rover on the smaller models, we used a ZF 9 speed. It's was problematic. They are all small and lightweight and driven by a lot of power and torque. As a result no amount of maintenance gives it much longevity. It's really hit and miss. Some owners have good luck and some don't. Even the ZF 8 speeds, which were RWD design did not hold up all that well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts