EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm looking into buying a 2012 Enclave Leather AWD with just over 78k miles, which I could potentially buy for under $19k. I was originally looking at used Subarus (2013-2014) but was surprised when I saw a 2012 Enclave listed for less and quite pleased with the interior. I did a bit of research on the reliability of these cars, and it seems they are average to above average, although possibly not quite to the Subaru level.

However, when looking at the Carfax, I saw that the most recent owner (2 total owners) only put 6k miles on the car in the last year but brought it in to service 6 different times over that year. I got a bit more detail from the dealer today, and it seems that over the past year, there is record of the following major actions:
-"Vehicle Harness Repair" (at 54k miles) - this was not within the last year, but another major repair item on the vehicle history
-"Steering Gear Replacement" (at 70k miles)
-"Engine Control Module Replacement" (after a record of roadside service, telling me this was a breakdown) (at 75k miles)
-"Navigation/Radio Replacement." (at 76k miles)
I can see why the previous owner ditched this car after those 3 major issues within the most recent 6k miles, but hopefully that's the extent of the problems.

My research told me that the 2012s had known issues with the Power Steering and the NAV unit, but if those were replaced, are those issues in the past? The ECM is also a bit worrisome, but I guess my question is if I should consider myself fortunate that these systems were replaced on someone else's bill, or are these red flags that more troubles are in the future of this Enclave?

With only 2 months left on the Factory powertrain warranty, my dealership is offering a 12mo/12k mile warranty with the purchase, which helps with peace of mind at least for the first year. Also, does anyone know anything about the GM Certified Major Guard? There is record that there are still 3 years/24k miles left on this from the previous owner, but I'm not sure if that was cashed in when they traded in or if that is transferable/tied to the VIN?

Thanks for any help you may offer!

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I honestly would avoid the vehicle. We go through this all the time on the other forum when checking out used Lexus. When folks have things for short periods of time and it ends up at a new car dealer, there has to be a reason. The new car dealer lowballs trades about as severe as it can get. So if a carfax shows 3+ owners even on a 2006, it's a red flag. 2 is ok, 1 is better. Remember, very few people are foolish enough to trade in a car, thousands of $$$$ are lost. There is a reason...good luck with your decision...

We had the steering rack repl. at 27k and the a/c condenser as well. These can simply fail again, we're at 52k now, so it may happen soon, hope not knock on wood.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I believe that once a vehicle is traded in, any remaining extended warranty is lost to the next buyer. The owner when trading it in should have submitted for a refund on any remaining warranty.

If the car had been sold privately, then you could have had the owner transfer the remaining warranty for a cost of $25.00 I believe. I have done that a few times when I have sold a couple of my GM's with extended warranties still remaining.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
john 070 said:
I honestly would avoid the vehicle. We go through this all the time on the other forum when checking out used Lexus. When folks have things for short periods of time and it ends up at a new car dealer, there has to be a reason. The new car dealer lowballs trades about as severe as it can get. So if a carfax shows 3+ owners even on a 2006, it's a red flag. 2 is ok, 1 is better. Remember, very few people are foolish enough to trade in a car, thousands of $$$$ are lost. There is a reason...good luck with your decision...

We had the steering rack repl. at 27k and the a/c condenser as well. These can simply fail again, we're at 52k now, so it may happen soon, hope not knock on wood.
I agree, walk away. I had the steering rack replaced three times on my 2010. I would have thought Buick would have fixed the design by 2012

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone for the feedback. I think I knew that I should avoid this one but I needed some affirmation and looks like I got it!

Reading between the lines in the vehicle's history detailed above, I'm thinking there are still some electrical gremlins in the system that weren't fixed in the initial vehicle harness repair, which resulted in the failure of the ECM and NAV down the line, and replacing those items merely treated the symptoms and not the cause.

Again, appreciate everyone's feedback. I'll be keeping my eyes open for something with lower miles, and likely pop back in here with more questions at that point!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts