EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new here, but just recently purchased a used 2012 Enclave, and I am noticing a slight stutter/shudder during light acceleration. I have replaced the plugs and the stutter/shudder did go away for a short period of time, but it is back again. I did do some OHM readings on the coil packs and I did find a couple that were lower than the others, and I also have no codes reported either. I am thinking it probably a failing coil pack, but need suggestions on how to proper them out.

·
Registered
609 Posts
If your plugs, coils and injectors were that bad you probably would be getting at least a Check Engine Light with a P300 random misfire, or P301-P306 on a specific cylinder misfire code. Have you checked your Throttle Body? It may be gummed up and require cleaning or possible replacement. How many miles are on the vehicle? You can check youtube for the many videos on how to clean the unit, make sure that you do it with ignition switch off. You can also easily remove it with four bolts and the electrical connection for a thorough job.
Ok just saw this great vid on replacing Acadia plugs, one of the comments under it was if you do not use Original GM Plugs the engine doesn't perform well with them.
Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAKvL12mhVc&list=PLyDGPnbFoqj-OBbk65R3yjMP8gH0OK16l

Here is one comment: i am drive ability tech for gm... gmc/buick dealership. the gm plugs come pregapped . you are using aftermarket plugs in your acadia . in my experience that motor does not like after market plugs or coils. just had to change coils and plugs on a 10 acadia thursday due to a misfire underload at highway speed and the owner claimed they did the plugs. found after market plugs n coils . replaced them with GM parts... problem went away...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have yet to clean the throttle body, but I will look into removing it to clean it as best I can. As for plug replacement, I went with the NGK Laser Iridium plugs over the AC Delco, and I did verify that they were gapped at .40 on each plug. Also, the vehicle has 111k miles on it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Note for my 09 Enclave, the AC delco plugs specified by GM in the owners manual are actually NGK iridiums; says it on the label. If you haven't already I'd replace all the coils.

·
Registered
609 Posts
leondegrance said:
I am leaning towards replacing the coil packs, but they aren't cheap at 50 dollars a pop.
Is this decision after cleaning the throttle body? Cleaning costs about $5 for a can of cleaner, it would be more cost effective to try that first.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
electbc said:
Is this decision after cleaning the throttle body? Cleaning costs about $5 for a can of cleaner, it would be more cost effective to try that first.
I have yet to clean the throttle body, and will do that first and then test it out.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Did you purchase it from a dealer or private party? There was a special coverage issued for the throttle body where there is an extended warranty to 120,000 or 10 years if it is found to be defective. You can possibly check to see if it was done by checking your dealer, carfax or service records.
Symptoms of a Faulty Throttle Position Sensor
An unexplainable bucking and jerking in the vehicle.
Sudden idle surges.
Sudden engine stalling without any apparent reason.
Hesitation while accelerating.
Sudden surges in speed while driving on the highway.
Intermittently flashing of check engine light for no apparent reason.
Here is a copy of special coverage. #14582 - Special Coverage Adjustment - Throttle Body - Reduced Power Mode

Condition
On some 2008 model year (MY) Saturn Outlook; 2008-2009 MY Buick Allure, Chevrolet Equinox, Chevrolet Uplander, Pontiac G8, Pontiac Montana SV6, Pontiac Torrent, and Saturn VUE; 2008-2010 MY Hummer H3 and Pontiac G6; 2008-2011 MY Cadillac CTS, Cadillac SRX, and Chevrolet Impala; 2008, 2011-2012 MY Chevrolet Captiva; 2008-2012 MY Buick Enclave, Buick Lacrosse, Chevrolet Colorado, Chevrolet Malibu, and GMC Canyon; 2009 MY Hummer H3T; 2009-2011 MY Buick Lucerne; 2009-2012 MY Chevrolet Traverse and GMC Acadia; and 2010-2012 MY Buick Regal vehicles, the throttle-position sensor may cause the engine to run rough, cause the malfunction-indicator lamp and/or an engine reduced power message to illuminate, and reduce the engine’s power.

Special Coverage Adjustment
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to replace the throttle body assembly and gasket for Bosch equipped vehicles, or to install the throttle position sensor kit for Hitachi equipped vehicles. The Hitachi throttle body assembly only needs to be replaced if the sensor kit does not correct the condition. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer. For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after September 24, 2015, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to September 24, 2015, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
electbc said:
Did you purchase it from a dealer or private party? There was a recall issued for the throttle body where there is an extended warranty to 120,000 or 10 years if it is found to be defective. You can possibly check to see if it was done by checking your dealer, carfax or service records.
Symptoms of a Faulty Throttle Position Sensor
An unexplainable bucking and jerking in the vehicle.
Sudden idle surges.
Sudden engine stalling without any apparent reason.
Hesitation while accelerating.
Sudden surges in speed while driving on the highway.
Intermittently flashing of check engine light for no apparent reason.
Here is a copy of recall. #14582 - Special Coverage Adjustment - Throttle Body - Reduced Power Mode

Condition
On some 2008 model year (MY) Saturn Outlook; 2008-2009 MY Buick Allure, Chevrolet Equinox, Chevrolet Uplander, Pontiac G8, Pontiac Montana SV6, Pontiac Torrent, and Saturn VUE; 2008-2010 MY Hummer H3 and Pontiac G6; 2008-2011 MY Cadillac CTS, Cadillac SRX, and Chevrolet Impala; 2008, 2011-2012 MY Chevrolet Captiva; 2008-2012 MY Buick Enclave, Buick Lacrosse, Chevrolet Colorado, Chevrolet Malibu, and GMC Canyon; 2009 MY Hummer H3T; 2009-2011 MY Buick Lucerne; 2009-2012 MY Chevrolet Traverse and GMC Acadia; and 2010-2012 MY Buick Regal vehicles, the throttle-position sensor may cause the engine to run rough, cause the malfunction-indicator lamp and/or an engine reduced power message to illuminate, and reduce the engine’s power.

Special Coverage Adjustment
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to replace the throttle body assembly and gasket for Bosch equipped vehicles, or to install the throttle position sensor kit for Hitachi equipped vehicles. The Hitachi throttle body assembly only needs to be replaced if the sensor kit does not correct the condition. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer. For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after September 24, 2015, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to September 24, 2015, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.
I purchased it from a dealer and I just called another dealer to see if there were any outstanding recalls on my vehicle, and there is not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called another dealership to see if I would get a different response on the Special Coverage Adjustment, and it is not listed as an issue for my vehicle per my VIN. For the time being, but I put in 5/8 of tank of gas in and dumped in a can of Seafoam to see it helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an Update

I have cleaned the throttle body and changed the plugs to the AC Delco OEM plugs, and the truck is running way better. I do have an occasionally shuddering, but nothing like when I had the NGK plugs installed. In looking at the NGK Laser Iridiums, they are sooty, so I don't think they are burning hot enough or properly for this engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
Thanks for the update. Yes those plugs are sooty. Were all 6 like that? Did you do the Seafoam before changing the plugs again? The Seafoam may be the reason for the soot.
I was looking over my service records and my mechanic suggested a Motor Vac Carbon Cleaning back around 100k. This seems similar to what Seafoam does so it seems as if you are getting the system cleaned out. I now have 190k and will be doing it again soon, the price was $85.
One thing I read about the Seafoam, it has been suggested to change the oil within 1000 miles of doing it, it may leave solvents behind in the oil which may not be good for bearings.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, all 6 plugs were like that, and when I put the seaform in the tank, the truck ran like garbage, ie... Loss of power & smoothness, and a lot of misfiring, but no codes generated. I was still on the same tank of gas with the seafoam when I changed the plugs out and there was a noticeable difference afterwards. I did do some research on the plugs and while both the NGK and AC Delco say they are the same heat range of 6, they sure don't perform the same.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I have been toying around with the idea of just replacing all 6 coil packs, as I still feel the shudder at light acceleration, but the truck is not generating any codes. Is it worth it to spend the 230 bucks without waiting for a code to generate?

·
Registered
61 Posts
leondegrance said:
So I have been toying around with the idea of just replacing all 6 coil packs, as I still feel the shudder at light acceleration, but the truck is not generating any codes. Is it worth it to spend the 230 bucks without waiting for a code to generate?
A shudder can also be caused by the torque converter clutch. A trans fluid change or some shudder stop may help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
whipster said:
A shudder can also be caused by the torque converter clutch. A trans fluid change or some shudder stop may help.
this was my case and I had a local transmission shop diagnose the problem. they added Anti-Shudder Fix, no really I saw the package and that is what they added, and it went away. It is an additive that remove the glazed buildup on the clutch face and the torque converter face so they can latch on to each other. At least that is the explanation I have been given. I have had the car shudder once in roughly 300 miles since.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts