EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded in my 2008 Buick Enclave for a new 2013 Buick Enclave about a month ago.

Now it has a problem :-\... The intellilink system has been very glitchy within the past week.
First was the USB port forgetting how to connect to my iPod, start's to work after a restart of the Enclave. The back-up camera is hazy at night (could be normal) and blacked out for the first time yesterday. Navigation map is very, very slow loading and displaying road names, point of interests etc.
And as of this morning, my back-up camera displays the message "Service Rear Vision System". My navigation map is blank, either showing the Buick and Intellilink logo or a black background (no map). All of this happening within the first 1000 Kms or 600 miles of ownership. :-\

I haven't been able to find any TSB's regarding this issue online or seen any topics in this forum from other 2013/2014 Enclave owners. I may be the first one experiencing this glitch.
I called Onstar, they could not pull up a diagnostic code as the system only detects mechanical issues. Even called Buick Customer Service and the representative would like for me to bring it into a dealership.

My thoughts on the issue is that it could possibly be the unit itself, OR a simple software update from my dealership (if it's available) could solve the problem.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? or any 2013/2014 Enclave owners have similar experiences? or am I the first one?

So far the vehicle has been a great ride, super quite and smooth, much better than the 2008 Enclave performance wise. :thumb:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
I am sorry to read about your new 2013 Enclave's issue. I can't help you other than to provide the typical advice to let your dealer take care of the problem. Let us know what happens.

Also, congratulations on trading in your 2008 Enclave for a new 2013!

·
Registered
717 Posts
I had this on my 2008 - though no one has come out and said this I believe there was a 'sealing' issue on the '08/'09s for the rear hatch. Our rear camera went out due to it 'shorting' - I dont see how a sealed camera can short, but my guess is water was oozing its way back behind the rear hatch. We had one other issue just before that which I forgot - I think it may have been a rear light.

I dont know if the '13s have the same hatch/camera but you having a 'hazy view' and now this makes me think water get in behind the rear hatch.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GoldEnclave said:
I am sorry to read about your new 2013 Enclave's issue. I can't help you other than to provide the typical advice to let your dealer take care of the problem. Let us know what happens.

Also, congratulations on trading in your 2008 Enclave for a new 2013!
Thanks GoldEnclave!

goochman said:
I had this on my 2008 - though no one has come out and said this I believe there was a 'sealing' issue on the '08/'09s for the rear hatch. Our rear camera went out due to it 'shorting' - I dont see how a sealed camera can short, but my guess is water was oozing its way back behind the rear hatch. We had one other issue just before that which I forgot - I think it may have been a rear light.

I dont know if the '13s have the same hatch/camera but you having a 'hazy view' and now this makes me think water get in behind the rear hatch.

Just my $0.02
I'm hoping that the issue itself is not like what you described however, it did rain for quite a few days about two weeks before my problems showed up.
Also, as of right now, my back-up camera is working again but, my Intellinlink system has completely collapsed :(. No Navigation still, no radio, cannot switch to other media devices, and voice recognition is also gone.
I'm beginning to think that I may have gotten a defective navigation unit.

I will keep you guys posted.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Over the past 6 months or more, I've intermittently had the SERVICE REAR VISION SYSTEM message when in reverse. Because of the winter, there was no way to properly look at it. Now that its spring, the message is coming up CONSTANTLY now, the camera has not worked at all in over a month.

My readings led me to believe this may be an actual camera issue. I went ahead and pulled things apart today, and removed the painted plastic "hump" that houses the 2 license plate lights and the camera. Once you remove the inner plastic panel from the tail gate (2 screws in the handle, and then pull the panels off releasing the snap plugs), there are 4 10mm screws holding the license panel in place. Once you remove the 4 screws, theres a little white plastic space plug that needs to be squeezed in to actually remove the panel. Once you squeeze that in, the panel comes out from the back, and you can pull the rubber grommit out also (from the outside) and the whole piece comes out with the harness.

I found that I have a broken wire VERY VERY close to the harness connector. Looking for ANY input on how to repair a connection like this (you tube vids would be great) or if someone knows the exact name of these parts so I can source one out.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
UPDATE:

Didn't really get any answers or direction from anyone - so took a chance and bought a used back-up camera (donor vehicle was a 2014 Enclave) online and swapped out my camera, and ALL is back working again!.

Total tear down time and reinstallation = about 45 minutes.

Had the message consistently for past 3-5 months, and finally got around to getting it fixed, but its finally fixed. Don't know how the camera assembly just fails like that..... especially since it wasn't wet, wasn't impacted at all, and no wires directly part of the camera assembly were damaged (as per my above post, OTHER wires were corroded, which was part of the other harness, but not the wires going to the camera itself).

I took a chance on the camera as ALL other functions of my DVD/Nav unit worked flawlessly. The DVD worked each and every time, as did the Nav in both split and full screen, so I figured everything up to the head unit was working. That, and the fact that as soon as I put it in reverse, I ALWAYS got the "service rear vision system" message... never a black screen, never a flicker, just the message.

Hopefully this will help someone else out. Wish there were a way to test the camera out in another way to see what failed, but whatever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts