EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was paid to do a survey at the LA Auto show.
After the survey- I did my rounds looking at cars etc.

I was looking over the 2013 Traverse... and found this on the dual exaust....
holes drilled into it.
All factory dual exhaust Ive seen dont have these holes. (my 2013 Nox doesnt have these, neither did my Impala).

Thought it was interesting. Not sure what theyre for.....

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Aren't they there to increase the sound to give it a more deep throaty sound when you take off from a stop? Or am I thinking of something else. All I remember is my ex husband would do something to the exhaust on his cars to make them sound different or was that just in the mufflers?

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from replies on the Traverse forum...

helps cool the tip/and lower sound.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
rbarrios said:
from replies on the Traverse forum...

helps cool the tip/and lower sound.
Cool the tip never gave that a thought but the lower sound I did and can see where that would make a difference.

Thanks!

·
Registered
414 Posts
You would think my 08 Enclave had holes drilled into the tips by the puddles of water on the ground after start up and idling for a few min.

·
Registered
61 Posts
MingGOBlue08 said:
You would think my 08 Enclave had holes drilled into the tips by the puddles of water on the ground after start up and idling for a few min.
There are 2 holes in the muffler.. about dead center

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and in an area under the rear seat...

·
Registered
308 Posts
The exhaust tip helps make the exhaust note so those little holes transform the sound.

·
Registered
681 Posts
These are very common and have been around for many years especially with import uner heads such as myself.

All it is is the TIP, NOT the EXHAUST.

It has no effect on the sound as others mentioned it is simply for helping keep the tip cooler and allowing the metal to retract and expand. Also for aesthetics, as it looks more pleasing like a more aggressive look, then just the normal cheesy rusted tip pipe pointing down.

The sound would come from the size of the hole and the pressure allowed through the internal body of the exhuast. If you ever heard the loud mufllers on those hondas that zip by you. Thats because they have on one of the after market exhausts that allow more air pressure through a bigger hole.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Same as the tips in the 2012 and prior Acadia Denali

1 - 11 of 11 Posts