EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is my Monday morning question. I have a 2013 Enclave and I was wondering what I should use to clean the dashboard. I have the leather interior, but I can't tell if the dashboard (especially on the passenger side) is leather or not. I would assume if it isn't I would just use Armor All on it? What if it is?

Thanks!

·
Registered
525 Posts
DON'T use Armour All! It will leave your dash very shiny, and create a lot of glare in your windshield. You don't want to use anything that leaves the surface shiny. My Enclave is almost 6 years old, and the only thing I've ever used to clean the dash has been a slightly damp towel, and it looks like new. If you feel the need to spend some money, search for a leather cleaner and protector that leaves a matte finish. Remember that auto manufacturers treat the leather in their interiors with industrial strength coatings from the factory.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Rich_Enclave said:
So here is my Monday morning question. I have a 2013 Enclave and I was wondering what I should use to clean the dashboard. I have the leather interior, but I can't tell if the dashboard (especially on the passenger side) is leather or not. I would assume if it isn't I would just use Armor All on it? What if it is?

Thanks!
baby wipes , they work great :thumb:

·
Registered
795 Posts
jacko said:
Remember that auto manufacturers treat the leather in their interiors with industrial strength coatings from the factory.
If you are referring to the leather on the seats getting treated. They do not. GM won't let them put any type of leather protectant on them at the seat manufacturer. A dealer may do this, but I can assure you that it didn't happen at the supplier or general assembly plant.

·
Registered
525 Posts
gostate said:
If you are referring to the leather on the seats getting treated. They do not. GM won't let them put any type of leather protectant on them at the seat manufacturer. A dealer may do this, but I can assure you that it didn't happen at the supplier or general assembly plant.
Actually, I was talking about dashboards. They use UV blockers on them, and there are leather finishes on the seats, they are not bare , untreated leather.

·
Registered
795 Posts
jacko said:
Actually, I was talking about dashboards. They use UV blockers on them, and there are leather finishes on the seats, they are not bare , untreated leather.
There are no finishes on the leather. Not in the seating plant. I see this on a daily basis.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jacko said:
DON'T use Armour All! It will leave your dash very shiny, and create a lot of glare in your windshield. You don't want to use anything that leaves the surface shiny. My Enclave is almost 6 years old, and the only thing I've ever used to clean the dash has been a slightly damp towel, and it looks like new. If you feel the need to spend some money, search for a leather cleaner and protector that leaves a matte finish. Remember that auto manufacturers treat the leather in their interiors with industrial strength coatings from the factory.
Thanks for the tip. I bought leather protectant (sp?) for the seats, but I am curious if I should use that on the dashboard IF it is leather.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Rich_Enclave said:
Thanks for the tip. I bought leather protectant (sp?) for the seats, but I am curious if I should use that on the dashboard IF it is leather.
I'm not sure if that dash is leather or not. It may be Pleather which is a synthetic material, looks just like leather, but is more durable.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Only thing I've used on my dash is a swiffer (sp?) small hand duster, works fine. No need to use any liquid on the dash unless you or your passengers are sneezing a lot at it, or spit when they talk. (I have given this guy we know a ride a few times, and he's a spit talker and when he's gone, I see spots on the shiny wood trim part....sorry if that's gross)....so in that case, just a damp cloth.

·
Registered
40 Posts
kidsenclave said:
No need to use any liquid on the dash unless you or your passengers are sneezing a lot at it, or spit when they talk. (I have given this guy we know a ride a few times, and he's a spit talker and when he's gone, I see spots on the shiny wood trim part....sorry if that's gross)
Hilarious. That could be a Seinfeld episode.

Side note: per forum rec's, I used baby wipes to clean up this weekend and it worked very well.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
KITT said:

Side note: per forum rec's, I used baby wipes to clean up this weekend and it worked very well.
:D You know, we still use baby wipes all the time for things around the house, and our youngest is 7 years old! Once you have kids, and see how useful they are you tend to keep buying them for other reasons. It's nice to keep them with us when we are out, if the kids need their hands cleaned or faces, or whatever.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
KITT said:
TMI, TMI!!! :happy:

·
Registered
238 Posts
KITT said:

someone in the BMW forum mentioned baby wipes and there was a whole thread about it back in the days. I ve tried it myself and surprinsily they work really well ... ;D

·
Registered
957 Posts
rick10 said:
someone in the BMW forum mentioned baby wipes and there was a whole thread about it back in the days. I ve tried it myself and surprinsily they work really well ... ;D
even the NAV Screen?

·
Registered
238 Posts
dzs3fz said:
even the NAV Screen?
I dont know about the nav screen . Back then I dont think many people had that. I dont see a problem but I cant tell you for sure. Its just a screen and the wipes are not going to damage it , i would do it

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Rich_Enclave said:

Thanks!
Rich_Enclave,
GM's recommendation per your owner's manual for all surface types is to use a soft microfiber cloth dampened with water to remove dust and loose dirt. For a more thorough cleaning, use a soft microfiber cloth dampened with a mild soap solution.
All the best,
Sarah (Assisting Stacy), Buick Customer Service

·
Registered
733 Posts
I would really hesitate using baby wipes on leather. Most of them have some alcohol in them and can dry out and crack the leather and it's coating

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I'm willing to bet the dash is not leather. I test drove a 2k13 and it looked very nice, way better than the 2k11, until I touched it. ;D

With that being said, I would use Meguiars interior detailer. The Armor all'd look has been out for many years. imho the clean and protected with nothing on it look is the best....

·
Registered
87 Posts
The dash is definitely NOT leather...it's a couple of contrasting types of vinyl with a bit of stitching. Clean like you've cleaned every other dash you've owned since the '70s...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the 2013 black ext/int enclave. I've been experimenting a little on cleaning the dash and here's what I like best,

I use the regular Amorall on the hard plastic and Armorall for leather on the "leather" accents including the large section on the passenger side. To the point about glare, we traveled 12 hours to niagara falls and back for vacation (not a cloud in the sky all three days...yeah!) and I did not notice any issues with glare. I really like the black/black color combo in the 13 Enclave so having a shiny dash suits me just fine. When you clean the 'leather-ish' sections with the leather Amorall cleaner it gives it a flat finish which makes a nice contrast with the shiny sections (I think).

I've tried other cleaners including different types of Amorall (there are many these days...including the wipes) and found that they would leave streaks and splotches.

My two cents,

1 - 20 of 29 Posts