EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
I am not convinced that the mpg will improve with the addition of turbocharging to the 3.6L engine. My understanding is that turbocharging is the equivalent of force feeding the engine to get more power. Along with the increase in air supply by the turbo charger, there is an equivalent increased use of gasoline when the turbo charger spools up. I could be wrong, especially because my basic knowledge of turbocharging comes from my father's explanation of the system in his 1987 Buick Grand National. My understanding is that mileage gains can be achieved if a much smaller displacement engine is turbo charged in order to replace a much larger gas guzzling non-turbocharged engine.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I'm in agreement...thinking that they could conceivably do a 3.0 liter in the next Enclave...wild guess, 330 HP/330 lbs. ft. If so, that's a benefit of 60 lbs. ft. of torque, not too shabby, but I made these numbers up. ;D

·
Registered
820 Posts
It might be able to increase fuel economy in the engine, but not by much. Take Ford's Flex with and without ecoboost.

AWD w/o Ecoboost is rated for 17/23
AWD with Eocboost is rated for 16/23

They use both the 3.5L engine for this.

Now, using the 3.0L engine might be able to save some fuel if tuned correctly. When you are just cruising along, it should use less fuel. When you are accelerating, it will likely use more fuel, and it can be much more fuel.

It will be interesting to see how this goes in a few years. Personally, I would wait a few years after they are using the turbo on the engines to get rid of the bugs.

·
Registered
466 Posts
If GM had had any sense they would have kept Saab. They were leaders in turbo technology. Based on either a 2.0l or 2.3 l engine.
Maybe they raided the company ideas bin before they bailed.

Saab 2.3 high output turbo was a real barn stormer 250 hp with 10% over boost for 20 seconds (275hp) - 390lft of torque - I owned one and it always made you smile. Fuel economy was very acceptable.

With turbo power you do not give any power up to run it unlike supercharging - then again supercharging is where lots of companies are going - always on tap no lag - even though the new hybrid turbos are fast getting to boost pressure.

Saab did have a few problems on the light duty engines - excessive engine sludge, that took out a good few turbos.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Is the 390 on the Saab a typo? I've never heard of a Saab that had nearly 400 lbs. ft of torque, let alone a 2.3 liter.... ???

When I was a kid, I got a chuckle that it cost $900 to replace the heater core on a Saab. I guess when you don't earn any money it's funny to hear of relatives spending theirs....

edit: I stand corrected, here's a factory Saab with 395 lbs. ft.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2008-saab-9-7x-aero-car-news

·
Registered
466 Posts
John you are correct I did the conversion from Nm at 390 to 290 lbf and then transposed the units. The 390lbf is from a US built V8.

I had a modified unit by Abbott racing - Saab track racing tuner for the UK.
I had the delta tuner upgrade and it was very impressive. Faster than a 911 turbo to about 140mph- I had the limiter removed with the tune and it hit over 170mph on the Autobahn - not quite full out.
Bugger to get off the line though- FWD. Impressive estate car.

http://abbottracing.net/product.php?id_product=365

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
When I was a kid Saabs were cool. When I was a pizza delivery boy, these grad students had a 900 SPG and boy did I envy them. I liked the key on the console and having to put it in R before you could get it out. Those were the days, I wonder if GM drove them into the ground.....

Here's one:

http://www.carguydad.com/modern-classic-saab-900-spg/

"My buddy Greg bought one of these when we got out of college. It was rife with issues but we still loved it. You know you grew up in New England when THIS is the car you lust over." He got that right! I mean the hood tilts forward--as it should. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
This rumor turned out to be just a rumor in the end. Oh well. :(
It will happen at some point, but this is not the right motor to be messing around with imho. It already has oil and coolant problems, the last thing GM should do is to boost it. The other thing is there is already no clearance in the engine bay, so imho it'll be altogether a different generation of the vehicle when turbocharging comes to town.

At the same time, GM marches to its own drummer, watch them announce something in the near future.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
I know what you mean. Knowing GM, there will probably be a reintroduction of the pushrod turbo V6. ::)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
13 Participants
GoldEnclave
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing