EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I purchased a tow hitch and 4-pin wiring adapter that connects into the plug in the rear fender. Both of which i got off e-trailer.com which confirmed their match. The install of both was seamless. It also included the fuses to add. The trailer worked but shortly after the lights started going out. I ended up re-wiring the entire trailer including new LED lights. This is a boat trailer. I've taken it out 4-5 times with a friends truck with no issues. This weekend I towed it for the 2nd time with my vehicle about 2 hours away. On the the way there the right side running lights went out on the trailer. BOTH OF THEM (middle yellow light and back-rear light). On the way home the back rear turn signal went out on the Enclave!! I can't believe this coincidence. I checked some of the fuses I could find for the trailer 4-pin and I didn't see any blown. I am at a loss as to what to check at this point? The local Buick dealership basically said it would be $400 for them to look at things and replace the fuse box, but they'd likely charge me $1000 to just swap out things to factory tow items. Help!

Wiring harness: https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Buick/Enclave/2014/118270.html?vehicleID=201422852

·
Super Moderator
543 Posts
Sounds like that non-OEM harness is causing a short. I'd suggest it was a short on the trailer itself but you said you've had zero issues using another vehicle and that trailer. Even still, if your buddies truck is older and not so ECU controlled it may be just ignoring the occasional short.

I had a lot of trouble adding a non OEM harness on our old Nissan Murano (similar issues with trailer lights sometimes working and the digital LED brake lights going out on the Murano) and ended up ordering the OEM Nissan part which worked flawlessly for 3 years towing 2 different trailers. I went OEM for the harness on the Mazda CX-9 that replaced it and had no issues. When we traded that on this Enclave I specifically searched out a full tow package equipped one because our towing needs had increased to the 4200lb rig that's in my signature.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying Jay. Where can you order the OEM harness? Only direct from the dealer? And how much was it roughly? At this point I am ready to swap it all out to ensure the vehicle is safe to drive.

·
Super Moderator
543 Posts
gmpartsdirect.com is usually my go to when it comes to finding OEM GM parts. At a minimum I start there and use their exploded view diagrams to figure out part numbers then hit amazon and ebay to see if there's a better deal somewhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turns out the back rear light had coroded wires already after only ~ 8 or so trips in the water. Guess I bought a cheap grade LED kit + wires for the trailer off Amazon. I believe this is the cause of the short. And the rear blinker on the Buick bulb was blown but no fuse issues. I swapped and its working. Looking more like a trailer wiring issue at this point.

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
669 Posts
I am interested in adding a Hitch Mount Brake light with a Backup light. I know the backup lamp isn't part of the wiring for the hitch connector so I will need to add that. I don't have a trailer, but wish to add the harness.
My question is how good is the connector up in the rear fender area which the Etrailer Wiring harness plugs into?
Did it have a cover on it or was it exposed to the elements all this time driving?

·
Super Moderator
543 Posts
Can't answer the part about how well protected that plug is, but there's definitely a pin in my harness that gets voltage when you go into reverse. My new boat trailer has surge disk brakes and without the trailer wiring plugged in I can't back up because the surge brakes get triggered. With the trailer plug connected (it's the 5th wire on my 5 wire flat trailer connector) an electronic lockout engages on the trailer allowing it to backup without engaging the brakes.

Here's the 7 pin schematic:

And here's the 5 pin on my trailer (I have a 7-5 adapter).

·
Registered
366 Posts
Just want everyone who installs a aftermarket hitch and wiring harness you still cannot tow more than 2000 lbs you must have the Tow package with the HD radiator, aux. trans cooler and tow haul switch, wiring and software to tow 4500lbs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just want everyone who installs a aftermarket hitch and wiring harness you still cannot tow more than 2000 lbs you must have the Tow package with the HD radiator, aux. trans cooler and tow haul switch, wiring and software to tow 4500lbs.
Can you explain why the E is rated at 4500 lbs, yet the Acadia is rated at 5200 lbs? :p

·
Registered
43 Posts
That’s been debated but the general consensus is a combination of a little more curb weight and softer suspension tuning.
That's interesting considering replacement part (shocks/struts/springs) are all the same between the 2, and the weight difference is not 700 lbs.... Probably one of those debates that will never be answered! lol

·
Super Moderator
543 Posts
When I toss my AWD Enclave into a turn it definitely handles worse than my buddies AWD Acadia, but it also rides much smoother. I'm not sure what exactly they did to make that happen (probably lighter swaybars and softer bushings) but I'm sure that makes a difference in what the engineers feel it can safely tow.

·
Registered
43 Posts
When I toss my AWD Enclave into a turn it definitely handles worse than my buddies AWD Acadia, but it also rides much smoother. I'm not sure what exactly they did to make that happen (probably lighter swaybars and softer bushings) but I'm sure that makes a difference in what the engineers feel it can safely tow.
So doing more research, this is what I found.... the jobbers (ie NAPA) list the same parts for both, probably easier for them. Go to GMParts direct, and now we find some differences. From there, I found stabilizer bars, both front and rear, to be the same for both E and Acadia. Front struts are common as well. Coil spring, same deal.
Now, the differences.... rear shocks. And there are an array of them for the E, only 1 listed on the Acadia regardless of trim (SLE/SLT/Denali) The Enclave lists a different shock for each wheel size, 18, 19 and 20. And none of those cross with the Acadia. My guess is this is where the rating is derived from along with weight. That being said, I'll likely replace mine with Acadia shocks when I do, as I plan to pull near the limit soon (trailer upgrade), and I get alot of bounce back there I don't like. (I also came to the E from a CX-9, much tighter ride)
Yes, I'm bored at work today... lol

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
669 Posts
I ordered the harness from Etrailer on Monday, they shipped it yesterday, hopefully I will have it Saturday. I am installing a hitch mount 4th LED brake light and an LED backup light mounted separately to provide better light for the backup camera.

·
Super Moderator
543 Posts
I was thinking about just putting some much stronger LED's in the backup lights. Something like this:

I saw a landscape trailer in traffic yesterday that had some huge LED backup lights and that got me thinking I might do the same on my boat trailer. Many times coming back from the lake I'm backing it up the driveway in the dark and I'd love if the trailer had it's own backup lights.

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
669 Posts
I am leery of replacing incandescent with LED, I read about several problems on the forums associated with even license plate lamps not providing the necessary load and messing with the module operation.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you're having issues switching over to LED's, try installing a relay into the circuit. That should correct the issues on some vehicles, but may not on all vehicles. I think you can also buy some products that simulate loads that conventional bulbs provide. Have fun.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts