EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all. I am new here but I have some information that other people might find useful.

I have a 2015 Buick Enclave. This is my 2nd Enclave and my 13th GM product. I traded my 2012 Enclave in because, while it was still in warranty, the AC had gone out on it and I liked the new styling of the 2015 Enclave.

Here is the problem;

My AC condenser has a hole in it. Where it is located, the bumper cover is open to any road debris that you might run into. Now let me say this, my Buick dealer is the best in the nation in my opinion, but this is not a warranty item and they have to charge me for the repair. I feel that because of the design of the bumper cover, it allows anything that might come off the road to hit this condenser. I called GM Customer Care (that was a very frustration and bad situation) and they told me that I was out of luck and no help would be forthcoming. I have been a loyal GM customer all my life and have only owned 2 cars that were not GM, but that does not seem to get you anywhere with GM. I realize that this is not a warranty issue, but I do think it is a design flaw. I have found at least 8 others that have had this exact same thing happen to them. If I can find 8, then I wonder what the real number is of people that have had this happen to them. I am not expecting GM to be responsible for road debris, but I do expect them to make right something that could easily have been avoided by a little aluminum screen, or a different design all together.

I guess the thing that I find most off putting is the way that GM customer care just didn't seem to care about one of the people who has been loyal. It makes me rethink my keeping loyal to a company that has no care for their customers.

I have said my piece. Thank you for any of y'all that have read this. If anyone has had a similar situation, let me know. I'd be interested to hear your situation.

·
Registered
121 Posts
First, Welcome to the forum! As a Enclave Newbie (forum and vehicle) this is excellent information. I wonder if the damage is coincidentally in the same location of the compressor?

BTW, how do you compare the "15 vs the '12?

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
this happens on Lexus, Hondas, Nissan, GM's etc.

Just happens a rock or debris hits it just right.....

Sure you could put a screen on the front----
but make sure you dont obstruct proper airflow...

Ever watch NASCAR... they have that screen up front-- but many times it gets stuff stuck to it...
pieces of rubber etc.........
They have 1 guy in the pit-- whose job it is to take a broom- and sweep that grille clean.... or go up front and manually wipe it clean.

manufacturers know--- that most car owners are not going to clean their screen....

think of it this way-----
some folks dont know if they have a 4 or 6 cyl in their car, what oil it uses, where the dipstick is, what PSI their tires should be at..... no, they wont clean their wire mesh up front.

before this happened..... when was the last time you actually looked at your condenser and Power steering cooler?

Im guessing they know that if they add mesh--- they will be flooded with warranty repairs for overheated engines.

[img]

[img]http://www.bradracing.com/wp-content/uploads/old/images/0608_bk_news5.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 15 is a thousand times better than the 12.

It is more ergonomic, the controls are nicer, and it drives better. In my opinion there is no comparison.

I am just very upset that GM did not consider the roads we drive on when the front air dam was designed.

If this was NASCAR, I would expect all kinds of things on the track that could cause issues, but if you look at the design of every NASCAR vehicle out there they are designed to protect the fragile components.

I have worked on hundreds of cars over the years and have never seen anything like this damage to my Enclave.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
its one of those things.... where it will happen to some and not others...

sort of like...some folks-- even in the same area...
one can go 20 yrs with no flats...
while another will have had multiple flats.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
When I followed the Lexus RX 350 forum because we considered getting one, there was a post about a similar problem. Road debris entered his open grill work and punctured the radiator but missed the condenser by about a quarter inch. He would have been better off if it had hit the condenser because his engine overheated and was destroyed!

He ended up with a bill of around $20000.00 from what he posted once the new engine, labor, towing, and rental car was paid for. His insurance did cover it, but Lexus washed their hands of the whole deal. He had 3000 miles on the car when it happened.

There were numerous posts that followed of owner's placing the gutter guard product that can be found at home depot in those grill openings to help prevent such a condition. Several dollars of material may have prevented any damage.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015/449046-2010-rx-350-design-flaw.html

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
poor design yes, how about the one where if you park outside, and it rains, water pools up and the ps cooler is sitting in standing water? :banghead:

At the same time, I think what else can be done....well, if it were me, I'd be angry, but it's a similar situation to when I had a 84 mo. warranty on a battery, and advance auto claimed it expired when I went back at 39 mos. I asked them to explain it to me, how 84 < 39. The guy said he didn't know, but all he did know was that his system says the warranty has expired. I have seen people on my other forum have the same issue.

Do we have time to fight City Hall 24/7....no.

If a rock hit it and caused a failure, then imho it's a comprehensive claim. For us, we have a $100 deductible. I don't feel I should have to pay it when GM is acting dishonorably, but that $100 may buy me a 1) working a/c system 2) peace of mind

Again, the airbag Takata thing speaks volumes, as there is no fix in sight.

BMW, Honda, Nissan, Mazda. All 4 are offering loaners to any affected owner, indefinitely.

Toyota was vague--maybe, maybe not.

Ford, GM, VW/Audi stated they WILL NOT BE OFFERING LOANERS TO ANY AFFECTED OWNERS.

I wonder which car cos. show good will, and which do not? ???

edit: I don't think your dealer is that great, because they coulda easily gotten GM to pay for it. Many dealers make gray area claims day in, day out, charging GM for work and parts that weren't even performed/consumed...but even if yours were the best in the nation, the bar is set so low it isn't saying much.

·
Registered
657 Posts
ls973800 said:
When I followed the Lexus RX 350 forum because we considered getting one, there was a post about a similar problem. Road debris entered his open grill work and punctured the radiator but missed the condenser by about a quarter inch. He would have been better off if it had hit the condenser because his engine overheated and was destroyed!

He ended up with a bill of around $20000.00 from what he posted once the new engine, labor, towing, and rental car was paid for. His insurance did cover it, but Lexus washed their hands of the whole deal. He had 3000 miles on the car when it happened.

There were numerous posts that followed of owner's placing the gutter guard product that can be found at home depot in those grill openings to help prevent such a condition. Several dollars of material may have prevented any damage.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015/449046-2010-rx-350-design-flaw.html
Thank you for this valuable information. Tomorrow I will post the 3 pictures of the spot. NX/Rogue/Elantra.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Frogman32 said:
Hello to all. I am new here but I have some information that other people might find useful.

I have a 2015 Buick Enclave. This is my 2nd Enclave and my 13th GM product. I traded my 2012 Enclave in because, while it was still in warranty, the AC had gone out on it and I liked the new styling of the 2015 Enclave.

Here is the problem;

My AC condenser has a hole in it. Where it is located, the bumper cover is open to any road debris that you might run into. Now let me say this, my Buick dealer is the best in the nation in my opinion, but this is not a warranty item and they have to charge me for the repair. I feel that because of the design of the bumper cover, it allows anything that might come off the road to hit this condenser. I called GM Customer Care (that was a very frustration and bad situation) and they told me that I was out of luck and no help would be forthcoming. I have been a loyal GM customer all my life and have only owned 2 cars that were not GM, but that does not seem to get you anywhere with GM. I realize that this is not a warranty issue, but I do think it is a design flaw. I have found at least 8 others that have had this exact same thing happen to them. If I can find 8, then I wonder what the real number is of people that have had this happen to them. I am not expecting GM to be responsible for road debris, but I do expect them to make right something that could easily have been avoided by a little aluminum screen, or a different design all together.

I guess the thing that I find most off putting is the way that GM customer care just didn't seem to care about one of the people who has been loyal. It makes me rethink my keeping loyal to a company that has no care for their customers.

I have said my piece. Thank you for any of y'all that have read this. If anyone has had a similar situation, let me know. I'd be interested to hear your situation.
Good morning Frogman32,

We understand how unexpected vehicle concerns may be frustrating and apologize for any inconvenience caused as a result. Additionally, we’re very sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with the service previously provided to you and do not want this to be your lasting impression of our brand. As you mentioned working with our Customer Care team, we would welcome the opportunity to review your case in greater detail. If this is something of interest to you, please send us a private message with your case number or VIN.

Kindly,

Samantha N
Buick Customer Care

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update:

I have paid for my repair (I am over a grand lighter now) and I cannot get the person assigned to my case at the joke of a service called GM Customer Service, to call me back. No one else will or can help me with this matter.

I did receive a phone call yesterday at 7:25am, while I was in the shower. (I thought you were not supposed to be called until after 8:00am) I called back at 8:00 and never got a call back. I tried to call numerous times and nothing. I am really upset that I have spent over 300k with GM and no one seems to care about my issue.

Guess I am whining, but its how I feel.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Frogman32 said:
Update:

I have paid for my repair (I am over a grand lighter now) and I cannot get the person assigned to my case at the joke of a service called GM Customer Service, to call me back. No one else will or can help me with this matter.

I did receive a phone call yesterday at 7:25am, while I was in the shower. (I thought you were not supposed to be called until after 8:00am) I called back at 8:00 and never got a call back. I tried to call numerous times and nothing. I am really upset that I have spent over 300k with GM and no one seems to care about my issue.

Thanks for reading.
Are either of these #'s where you called?
Buick
1-866-608-8080
1-800-832-8425

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No they have me calling a special number that connects me to a specific set of people. I am supposed to put in the number of the senior advisor that I am supposed to talk to, but she will not take or return my calls. It has been 3 days now.

The longer I am having to deal with this, the more upset I am getting.

Here I am whining again. Sorry everyone.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Did you consider filing a comp claim since Buick stated it was from rock damage? imho if the dealer was going to stick with that story, they should have handled it. Do they have the old condenser, since insurance would want to see it?

The way I feel about things, is people in a certain industry, should be thinking of ways to help customers, as opposed to being the monkey see, monkey do type of c*** that one is accustomed to with GM.

I guess the only way to get that treatment is to buy a BMW, Honda, Mazda, or Nissan (the 4 cos. who offer free loaners to anyone affected by the Takata airbag scandal).

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Frogman32 said:
Update:

Thanks for reading.
Frogman32,

We appreciate you providing this update about your experience and we have received your private message. We will be following up with you there shortly to further discuss the details of your open case.

Thank you,

Samantha N
Buick Customer Care

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not sure if this is proper place to cry or not. My 2010 Enclave with 45,000 miles just had AC start blowing hot air. Carried to local Buick dealer they did their diagnostics and put in 2 l/2 pounds of freon, bill was 250 dollars. They added die to the lines, since it may leak out again. That was yesterday, today noticed antifreeze under car on garage floor. Back to dealer again, this time they cannot find a leak. I have to pay for a pressure test, then they find bad water pump. So total today is going to be a little less than 700 dollars. We have enjoyed the quite ride that this car has, however I have no confidence in this vehicle. We had been looking to replace my 2004 Honda Pilot with a new Enclave, but NOT now. No more GM for me. This is not only problems, just the latest. Other cars may have as many or more problems, but I have had two Hondas before this car. My 2004 Honda Pilot with 115000 has cost me less money on repair than this Enclave. Sorry for the negative report, I am just frustrated.
wwc

·
Registered
121 Posts
You got lucky with the 04 Pilot. The transmissions in them and Odysseys had major problems. A bearing failure if I remember. A Google search will provide all the late night reading you can handle.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
wwc said:
Not sure if this is proper place to cry or not. My 2010 Enclave with 45,000 miles just had AC start blowing hot air. Carried to local Buick dealer they did their diagnostics and put in 2 l/2 pounds of freon, bill was 250 dollars. They added die to the lines, since it may leak out again. That was yesterday, today noticed antifreeze under car on garage floor. Back to dealer again, this time they cannot find a leak. I have to pay for a pressure test, then they find bad water pump. So total today is going to be a little less than 700 dollars. We have enjoyed the quite ride that this car has, however I have no confidence in this vehicle. We had been looking to replace my 2004 Honda Pilot with a new Enclave, but NOT now. No more GM for me. This is not only problems, just the latest. Other cars may have as many or more problems, but I have had two Hondas before this car. My 2004 Honda Pilot with 115000 has cost me less money on repair than this Enclave. Sorry for the negative report, I am just frustrated.
wwc
Your 2010 with 45000 miles should have the extended warranty which will cover the water pump. I believe the coverage is for 10 years or 120000 miles even if you are not the original owner. No charge at all to you! There are numerous posts on the forums about the coverage so you should be able to find the special coverage program number. Here is some information to get started.

#13091: Special Coverage Adjustment - Water Pump Shaft Seal Leaks - (May 20, 2013)
Subject: 13091 – Special Coverage Adjustment - Water Pump Shaft Seal Leaks

Models: 2008-2010 Buick Enclave
2009-2010 Chevrolet Traverse
2007-2010 GMC Acadia
2007-2010 Saturn Outlook
Equipped with HFV6 Engine (LY7, LLT)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for this information on extended coverage on water pump. I had hand surgery on Monday,so this is first time to check back on the forum. Just called dealer, was told that they did not think mine was covered. After i gave them this information they are going to talk with service manager and call me back.
Thanks again would love for someone with Buick to get involved.
WWC

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just got call from dealer and my car is covered and no charge to me. Thank you guys so much. Just got 675 dollars credited back to my credit card.
WWC

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
yeap-- read your water pump post-- and right away thought--- that should be FREE!

glad you were credited.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts