EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it appears the 2015 Enclave takes a 12" wiper blade for the rear. But for the life of me, I have no idea how to remove the existing blade. The rear blade doesn't move away from the windshield very far. I managed to remove the wiper assembly nut cover to keep from cracking it (saw that in some searches here). But unlike my wife's 2007 Infiniti FX35, it is not a trivial matter to remove the entire assembly by removing the nut.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,478 Posts
statsman said:
So, it appears the 2015 Enclave takes a 12" wiper blade for the rear. But for the life of me, I have no idea how to remove the existing blade. The rear blade doesn't move away from the windshield very far. I managed to remove the wiper assembly nut cover to keep from cracking it (saw that in some searches here). But unlike my wife's 2007 Infiniti FX35, it is not a trivial matter to remove the entire assembly by removing the nut.
Statsman, welcome to the Enclave forum and ownership. I see that you said you did a search but really didn't find anything. Did you know that you should also search the Traverse, Outlook, and Acadia boards for answers?

Those vehicles are "sister" vehicles to the Enclave, and share many of the same components, mechanical, and electrical parts, and therefore, the same problems. Make sure you sign up on each of the other boards in order to see pictures posted on "Lambda Forum Network." The platform these vehicles are built on are known as "Lambda" hence the forum main title name.

You can use the same user name and password to sign up with at the other boards, making it easier to sign in each time if you want to.

Here is just one result from searching the Traverse board showing how to replace that rear wiper with pictures. Reply 26 also talks about removing the arm by using a battery terminal puller. I think there are 6 pages of replies so I am sure you should be able to get yours replaced in no time.

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=2398.0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wiper information about the Traverse doesn't seem to fit the 2015 Enclave. Looks like a completely different connector. The Traverse (in the examples from your link) are using the 12A (or 13A) wiper replacement, while the Enclave uses the 12E wiper replacement. At the rate I am going, I am going to bust off the wiper assembly at the nut (that or strip the wiper motor). :banghead:

I can't believe this is so difficult to perform on the 2015 Enclave (seems like the 2014 is the same).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,478 Posts
statsman said:
The wiper information about the Traverse doesn't seem to fit the 2015 Enclave. Looks like a completely different connector. The Traverse (in the examples from your link) are using the 12A (or 13A) wiper replacement, while the Enclave uses the 12E wiper replacement. At the rate I am going, I am going to bust off the wiper assembly at the nut (that or strip the wiper motor). :banghead:

I can't believe this is so difficult to perform on the 2015 Enclave (seems like the 2014 is the same).
Sorry that didn't help. Did you try removing the wiper arm from the wiper motor spindle by using a battery terminal puller or a small gear puller? The arms are usually just pressed onto that spindle and held with the nut. Using a puller of some sort should take it right off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,478 Posts
Enclave post talking about removing the rear arm. You can "rent" a puller at most auto parts stores by leaving a deposit when you pick it up. When done, you return the tool and get your full deposit back. Heck, they may even let you remove the arm in their parking lot if you ask nicely.

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=19658.0

Maybe this one also found posted on the Enclave board? Not sure if the year difference matters.

http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2008_Buick_Enclave_CXL_3.6L_V6/windshield_wiper_blade_rear/replace_wiper_blade
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ls973800 said:
Maybe this one also found posted on the Enclave board? Not sure if the year difference matters.

h t t p :// w w w.carcarekiosk.com/video/2008_Buick_Enclave_CXL_3.6L_V6/windshield_wiper_blade_rear/replace_wiper_blade (statsman: spaces added because for some reason I can't post a link)
That appears to be the correct rear blade replacement for the 2015. It just seems like the rear blade won't move away from the rear window far enough without damaging something.

The 2015 owner's manual does state as step #1 for the rear blade replacement: "Pull the wiper blade assembly away from the backglass." I would like to think if I do this and something breaks, Buick is at fault here. Good luck with that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,478 Posts
Nothing else I can suggest for you, then. I would pull the arm off and work on it off the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,454 Posts
Wish I could help.

I can remove my traverse read blade in seconds..
and just replaced my Equinox blade assembly last week.... this one was a little more tedious.. as it has a plastic cover over the entire blade assembly and had to pop it off so that I could remove the old blade.


But if you do go the route of removing the whole arm..
below is what I did to remove the wiper arm on my traverse when I replaced my struts.

battery terminal puller---
it will make removing the wiper arms easy.... $6.xx at Oreillys.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,478 Posts
rbarrios said:
Wish I could help.

I can remove my traverse read blade in seconds..
and just replaced my Equinox blade assembly last week.... this one was a little more tedious.. as it has a plastic cover over the entire blade assembly and had to pop it off so that I could remove the old blade.


But if you do go the route of removing the whole arm..
below is what I did to remove the wiper arm on my traverse when I replaced my struts.

battery terminal puller---
it will make removing the wiper arms easy.... $6.xx at Oreillys.

That is the front wiper arm but he should get the idea and use the puller on the rear.

Not sure why he is still insistent on pulling the arm UP and trying to get the blade off. Hasn't had any luck trying it that way so move on from it.

Remove the ARM with the puller. He can then remove the blade easily with the ARM off and keep it in mind next time it needs to be replaced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ls973800 said:
Not sure why he is still insistent on pulling the arm UP and trying to get the blade off. Hasn't had any luck trying it that way so move on from it.
Because the owner's manual says that's exactly how you change the rear blade.

Anyway, I bit the bullet and pulled a bit harder (after removing the cover to the mounting nut first to prevent cracking it). I was able to remove and replace the rear blade.

I don't recommend this method as described in the owner's manual unless you have nerves of steel or are willing to pay the price of any repairs. Also be aware that the rear windshield should be protected before attempting this. It seems too easy to be able to scratch the rear windshield.

I don't know why Buick has specific instructions in their owner's manual to change the rear blade and then make it **** near impossible to do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,478 Posts
Because the owner's manual says that's exactly how you change the rear blade.

Happy to hear you were able to get it finally replaced.

Sometimes the owner's manual or service manuals have a work around which is easier, time saving, and more common sense than the prescribed method of doing a repair. Many owner's on these forums have found that out and have shared that information when ever they could.

Example- the manual says to remove the front end of the vehicle in order to replace the headlights. There are posts on these various forums where members have found that by turning the front wheels one way or the other, and then removing or loosening the inner wheel well liner, they can access the bulb and replace it without removing the front end.

Again, glad to hear you got it replaced one way or another.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
3 Participants
ls973800
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing
Top