EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep getting a “Battery Low” message on the odometer screen when the key is in the accessory position, sometimes before I turn the key all the way to start. The Battery Gauge usually shows 13 or slightly above after I start the car. Isn’t that good?
I was at the dealer for my free oil change and talked to the guy at the service desk. He said it might be that the key fob has a low battery. That sounded wacky, but I had a new battery on hand so I installed it in the key fob.
I’m still getting the Battery Low message.
Anyone know what might be going on here?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
does it say BATTERY LOW START VEHICLE?

BATTERY LOW START VEHICLE
This message displays when thesystem detects that the batteryvoltage has dropped to a criticallevel and the engine must be startedto avoid a dead battery situation.

Reactions: roguebabe

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
REPLACE BATTERY IN REMOTE KEY
This message displays if a Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter battery is low. The battery needs tobe replaced in the transmitter

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
750 Posts
I was getting the message that it was low and to start vehicle with just about ten minutes of stereo usage and opening the lift gate once or twice. I replaced the battery and still got the messages. I believe that the threshold for the messages is too sensitive.
It would be best to check the battery voltage when you get the message to see if it is really critically low, I am going to do the same tomorrow.

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
750 Posts
With all the sophisticated electronics in these vehicles it's amazing that we can get four years of of a battery. I checked the voltages. At idle and charging it was around 15V.
Shutting off the engine, it quickly went down to 12V. Sitting with the radio on it went down to 11.9V. Opening the rear hatch, 11.5V. After several minutes it went up to 11.8V
I got my Battery Low message at 11.8V.
I let the vehicle sit for 15 minutes and the voltage rose to 12V. There are several modules which go into sleep mode and then the voltage stabilizes.
So if you are stuck sometime where the vehicle doesn't want to crank, let it sit while you are inside with doors closed and every option off, let it sit for 15 minutes and then try it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
electbc, those voltage readings are signs that the battery is getting weak. have it load tested to be sure. I don't trust the cheap little hand held testers from the parts stores. In the old days, we load tested the battery at 1/2 the cranking amps. The battery should hold above 10 volts for 10 seconds at 1/2 the cranking amps. Example--a 600 CA battery loaded at 300 amps should stay above 10 volts for 10 seconds. I go to 15 seconds on a new-ish battery sometimes. 30 year tech here. I agree, new cars have a ton of loads on the battery. I still expect 4 years from it though.

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
750 Posts
It is a new battery. I didn't check the voltages at the battery terminals, I checked at the engine compartment fuse box. I use a Fluke 87 meter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is it possible that the problem is a loose wire connection somewhere? Maybe a bad ground?

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
750 Posts
That is always a possibility in any electrical/electronic circuit. Any resistance affects the system and may cause the premature message.

·
Registered
210 Posts
How old was the battery? If it is between 3 to 5 years old, may be it IS time to get a new battery. If it is a newly installed battery, I would get to the battery at the compartment under the second row seat and visually inspect to make sure whomever installed the new battery did so correctly. There is a pigtail that needs to be installed at the battery. This is what feeds the battery voltage information to the ECM, and this is the source of how your vehicle decides if it is going to show you that message. The 13 on the gauge that you see is the alternator output voltage, not the true battery voltage.

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
750 Posts
I replaced it myself. I replaced my 2008 battery 2 or 3 times, the 2015 once. True about the Battery voltage versus Alternator voltage, I was too lazy to open up the battery compartment. I am not having any problems with the battery. I just feel that the Low Battery Message comes on prematurely, but that can be a good thing so as not to get stranded. When it gets warmer and I have time, I will clean the connections and re-test the voltages.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have same problems just had a new interstate battery installed and it still does it.it **** off heater controls today.but still stayed running.im going with a new alternator bit it shows 14.6 running..wtf

1 - 12 of 12 Posts