EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Newbie here. I LOVE my 2016 Enclave and it has been great to me for 3 years (purchased used) but suddenly started having a very strange issue and the stealership can’t figure it out. Very intermittently while driving the power and engine turn off for a second or 2 and then it restarts itself. Almost like a reboot but the engine dies too. Radio, dash, EVERYTHING shuts off and the car hesitates until it starts itself again. Sometimes it happens every few miles, sometimes back-to-back. Checked battery terminals and all are secure. Battery reads good voltage and has been kept on a battery tender since not much driving thanks to COVID-19. Dealership says they have not been able to replicate the problem, but I’m not sure I believe that since it happens almost every time I drive the car. It’s under extended warranty and they’re saying they have no clue and want to give me back the car as is. I did a general search before posting this and haven’t found anything similar, nor a resolution. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks and stay safe, everyone!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sounds like a loss of power (Voltage) and GM had some fuse box issues previously. Is the dealer waiting to duplicate it before they look at anything? Has anyone looked for codes? I would check the ground cable at the engine and body. Put a heavy load (As heavy as possible) on the battery and voltage drop the ground circuit to the body and engine. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a loss of power (Voltage) and GM had some fuse box issues previously. Is the dealer waiting to duplicate it before they look at anything? Has anyone looked for codes? I would check the ground cable at the engine and body. Put a heavy load (As heavy as possible) on the battery and voltage drop the ground circuit to the body and engine. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Ibis1. Thanks very much for your suggestions. They said no codes were coming up. My thought was low voltage too. Wondered if alternator was an issue since I already had to replace the battery suddenly (wasn’t sure if it was parasitic drain or alternator). Replaced the battery and all was fine until this started about 3 weeks ago. Battery has been in there for about 3 months. I’ll make the heavy load suggestion to them and see what they say. The service advisor is only telling me they haven’t yet seen the issue occur and they have been driving it daily and one tech allegedly took it home with him to drive it longer. Lies! I enabled the track my vehicle feature on the Buick app and setup alerts for when it leaves the dealer and it has only left twice for 20 minutes each since dropping it off a week ago. lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Very odd that no codes were set. If it lost power (Voltage) a number of modules should have "Lost Communication" with other modules. That makes very little sense. Is there another dealer available? They don't seem too concerned to find your problem. Are they providing you with transportation?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very odd indeed. They seem to be pretty reputable based on Google reviews. Yes, they gave me a loaner 2020 Acadia. But I miss my Enclave. Better looking car with more bells and whistles. Plus it’s red and I hate it lol. All of my cars are black.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If they are providing transportation, at some point the service manager is going to ask why that GMC has been out so long. They track that, as it gets charged to the service department and subsequently comes out of the service managers bonus checks. That's why they want you to pick your vehicle up. Tell them your wife is afraid to drive it until it's fixed.

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
669 Posts
I would check the engine compartment fuse block, connections there have been known to give trouble. the fuse block comes apart, two bolts and the connectors come off on the bottom. Just my .02

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not a bad idea, electbc. When I installed the quick connect terminals for the battery tender it is possible I jostled something. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would check the engine compartment fuse block, connections there have been known to give trouble. the fuse block comes apart, two bolts and the connectors come off on the bottom. Just my .02
But still.... isn’t it odd that it restarts itself? Engine shuts off (and all electronics) then it restarts the engine all by itself. Now that’s while in motion so is it just that it has the movement still going to refire the cylinders?

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
669 Posts
the ECM still thinks that it is running, fuse block connection goes south for a second, engine skips a beat, ECM never sees it and doesn't skip a beat. One possibility. Bad connection somewhere.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Makes sense then! You definitely seemed to know the routines.
[/QUOTE
At this point all you can do is assume they are making an effort and they are providing alternate transportation. Don't get nasty with them at this point as that probably won't help your cause. Remain steadfast that your wife won't drive the vehicle until it's fixed. If they aren't making any headway, they should call in a field engineer (Not sure what GM calls them) to look at it. There should be some clues there to point them in the right direction, but who knows. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all,
Newbie here. I LOVE my 2016 Enclave and it has been great to me for 3 years (purchased used) but suddenly started having a very strange issue and the stealership can’t figure it out. Very intermittently while driving the power and engine turn off for a second or 2 and then it restarts itself. Almost like a reboot but the engine dies too. Radio, dash, EVERYTHING shuts off and the car hesitates until it starts itself again. Sometimes it happens every few miles, sometimes back-to-back. Checked battery terminals and all are secure. Battery reads good voltage and has been kept on a battery tender since not much driving thanks to COVID-19. Dealership says they have not been able to replicate the problem, but I’m not sure I believe that since it happens almost every time I drive the car. It’s under extended warranty and they’re saying they have no clue and want to give me back the car as is. I did a general search before posting this and haven’t found anything similar, nor a resolution. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks and stay safe, everyone!
I made GM Service Manager go for a ride with me when they " couldn't duplicate my problem". Didn't even get 3 miles before it did it and it kept recurring on the way back to the dealership. Have them go on a drive with you. Mine was a bad misfire due to 2 bad coils. They hate warranty work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I made GM Service Manager go for a ride with me when they " couldn't duplicate my problem". Didn't even get 3 miles before it did it and it kept recurring on the way back to the dealership. Have them go on a drive with you. Mine was a bad misfire due to 2 bad coils. They hate warranty work.
He even said he had driven it home over nite. No way did that happen.

·
Registered
40 Posts
1917, They rely on warranty work. There is not a dealership in the country that could stay in business doing only customer pay work. The warranty labor rate is usually 70 to 80% of the customer rate and the parts markup is very good overall and excellent in some states, like Florida where I worked.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts