EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded in a 2011 for a 2017. I am noticing lots of blotches through the tinted rear window while wearing my polarized sunglasses. If I remove the sunglasses, the blotches disappears. I don't recall seeing this in my 2011. It looks like a really bad tint job.

The side tinted windows do not look as bad, but I do notices some hazing affects which I did not have on the 2011.

Is this a defect? Anyone else who owns a late model first generation notices this affect using polarized sunglasses?

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
I remember a similar thread on one of the other lambda forums... or the Equinox/terrain.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I ditched polarized sunglasses years ago because of that very same issue. Some (all?) polarized/tinted glass looked "wavy" and splotchy. I don't remember why but it's "normal".

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The thing is I had no problems with the 2011 Enclave. Maybe the darker Ebony interior of the 2017 is making it more prominent vs. the lighter Titanium of the 2011?

Anyway, my windshield is not tinted and so I prefer the polarized sunglasses to reduce glare. Another thing I noticed is that the SunTek tint film on the 2017 appears wavy and has rainbow affects with the glasses whereas the 3M tint film on the 2011 exhibited no such effects. Same pair of sunglasses.

As far as ditching polarized sunglasses, the next time you are driving in an overcast raining condition with lots of back splash from vehicles in front, put on a pair of polarized sunglasses and see what amazing affect it will have on visibility.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I wear prescription glasses so I can't just put on a pair of sunglasses. The polarized sunglasses I used to have came with my prescription glasses and attached via magnets. The sunglass part was polarized. The weirdness when I looked through tint was enough that I switched to Transition lenses (auto tint) this time. They have a very slight tint all the time (which really helps in rain, believe it on not) but get plenty dark when it's sunny. Ideally, I'd have a pair of prescription glasses with a nice yellow tint for foggy, rainy, etc conditions and at night, another pair of dark tinted ones for those super bright days when I'm driving directly into the sun and then the ones with the Transition lenses for the other 90% of the time. Unfortunately, I'm broke as a joke and can only afford 1 pair of glasses.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Completely normal with any polarized sunglasses. Compare the effect to "Rowdy" Roddy Piper in "They Live"

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The higer quality 3M film on my 2011 had no noticeable effects than the SunTek film on my 2017. Does this means the 2011 tinted windows are higher quality than the 2017?

My glasses are prescription polarized sunglasses used for driving.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I just got my wife's car windows tinted with Llumar CTX 15% (high-end tint film). Wearing my polarized sunglasses, I see no effects like the tinted rear tailgate window of my 2017 Enclave.

Can other owners of late first generation Enclaves (2016s and 2017s) with polarized sunglasses check to see if they see spot blotches through the rear tailgate glass in bright sun condition? I cannot imagine this would be normal. We are not talking about barely noticeable 1 or two blotches. I am talking about polka dot blotches. It is like looking at a white horse and then putting on your polarized sunglasses and the white horse is now a zebra!

Since I just had a lower quality SunTek Carbon 18 tint film installed on my 2017 Enclave front side windows (thought I was getting 3M), I can tell the lower quality film exhibit patch and rainbow effects with my polarized sunglasses compare to the higher quality Llumar film on my wife's car, I am thinking the blotches on my 2017 Enclave tailgate glass must be a defect or quality issues and is thinking of filing a warranty claim to replace the tailgate glass.

Just hoping other owners can give me some feedback of their experiences with polarized sunglasses before I take the issue with my dealer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
mifronte
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing