EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(1/19/2023) Just bought this car used in December 2022, having an issue and I need to know how concerned I should be. To reproduce - drive around as normal, place vehicle in park, then shut off the engine. The key will not rotate all the way to OFF so that it can be removed, it stays somewhere in between OFF and ACC. If I wait about 10-15 seconds for a small audible "click" in the steering column, then the key can be removed. No amount of moving the steering wheel back and forth or jiggling the shift handle or turning to ACC and back makes any difference, it will take as long as it wants. I haven't yet popped the top of the steering column off, but I have seen from various YouTube videos that there is a small solenoid in there that releases the key. One video I saw also mentioned that there was a small metal switch next to the shifter that could be worn out or bent, but my car only has 31k miles on it and I'm wondering how that could be the case. My question is this - has anyone else run into this, and what was the fix if any? I'm worried that if I do nothing that it will eventually stop releasing the key altogether, and apparently that is a very common problem with "late model" GM vehicles.

· Registered
486 Posts
When the battery in my 2013 was going bad and was dead the key would not come out at all. Might not hurt to have it checked. It's under the footwell on the middle passenger seat. Pull the matt up. I don't remember the size but IIRC it is a torx screw to remove the panel. When I looked at mine, the OEM battery was seeping fluid out of it.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When the battery in my 2013 was going bad and was dead the key would not come out at all. Might not hurt to have it checked. It's under the footwell on the middle passenger seat. Pull the matt up. I don't remember the size but IIRC it is a torx screw to remove the panel. When I looked at mine, the OEM battery was seeping fluid out of it.
I had the battery unhooked a couple weeks ago when I was cleaning and it looked pretty new to me, but I will have my mechanic do a charge test on it, thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts