EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Reading the article, they said they wanted a new name for the redesigned minivan, which they say is a cross or hybrid between a minivan and an SUV.

Kuniskis says a vehicle so different deserved a new name; the company settled on "Pacifica," the name of a small SUV Chrysler sold a decade ago.

Why would they reuse a name which had been used on a prior vehicle which had numerous problems and complaints. With the vast amount of resources and money, I think they could have come up with some type of new name that would create interest. Then again, maybe money and resources are an issue for Fiat. :eek:

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
ls973800 said:
Reading the article, they said they wanted a new name for the redesigned minivan, which they say is a cross or hybrid between a minivan and an SUV.

Kuniskis says a vehicle so different deserved a new name; the company settled on "Pacifica," the name of a small SUV Chrysler sold a decade ago.

Why would they reuse a name which had been used on a prior vehicle which had numerous problems and complaints. With the vast amount of resources and money, I think they could have come up with some type of new name that would create interest. Then again, maybe money and resources are an issue for Fiat. :eek:
I've been thinking about that.....regardless what it was named, it's obvious they wanted a departure from the Town & Country (which would still be available for a trim package.....or upscale model.......at some point in the future) and Caravan identities.

But as for Pacifica itself, I suspect FCA's market research told them the name did not possess the negative image to which you refer (or else had an exceptionally positive image previously)......along with the fact they wouldn't have to incur any new copyright costs. I also find myself wondering if that same research said this particular name was unusually well-received in California; still the biggest car market in North America.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I also find myself wondering if that same research said this particular name was unusually well-received in California; still the biggest car market in North America.

I would think that California is more of a "foreign" car buying state than just about any other state. It could have been well received in California and specifically aimed at that market place, but I kind of doubt it. They may be the biggest car market in the US, but I believe that is around 10 or 11 percent? I still think that a brand new design and vehicle like this would require a new name that would mean something special.

Interesting to see how it will succeed, especially since the minivans are still going to be built.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
ls973800 said:
I also find myself wondering if that same research said this particular name was unusually well-received in California; still the biggest car market in North America.

I would think that California is more of a "foreign" car buying state than just about any other state. It could have been well received in California and specifically aimed at that market place, but I kind of doubt it. They may be the biggest car market in the US, but I believe that is around 10 or 11 percent? I still think that a brand new design and vehicle like this would require a new name that would mean something special.

Interesting to see how it will succeed, especially since the minivans are still going to be built.
You've chosen to read meaning into my comment that was never my point......I said only there's a possibility the name Pacifica was well received in California; not that FCA was "specifically aim(ing) at that market place".

Minivans.....while remaining a viable business, at least if you're Honda or Toyota (and to a lesser extent, FCA).....are in decline, and Chrysler is simply attempting to up their game as the category creator (but where they've recently fallen substantially behind the two current category leaders). One way is making their new minivan look, well, less like a minivan.

To that end, I myself think FCA designers have been at least marginally successful; but only consumers (either within or outside California) will determine to what degree that's the case. I myself would like to see Pacifica succeed, if for no other reason I'm tired of Honda and Toyota dominating the segment and jamming it to consumers pricing-wise as is currently the case.

Anyway, if FCA felt minivans had any kind of legitimate major volume future, they would not have blown the Caravan out of Dodge showrooms.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Two :nono: no-no things in my book: 1. No "Made in China" or 2. I am not a Chrysler fan. But, it is nice looking. Just not for me.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
You've chosen to read meaning into my comment that was never my point......I said only there's a possibility the name Pacifica was well received in California; not that FCA was "specifically aim(ing) at that market place".

No, I really didn't read anything into your comment. I may have expressed it with two thoughts combined which confused my statement.

It could have been well received in California

Agreeing with you that it could have been well received in California. Perhaps because at one time years ago the Pacifica did well on the west coast, or because it sounds like "Pacific" reminding them about the ocean. You had even stated "I also find myself wondering if that same research...." I knew you were only speculating about the research, and I agreed with you with my own thoughts.

and specifically aimed at that market place, but I kind of doubt it.

My own thought that perhaps if it was well received in California, perhaps FCA specifically had that market in mind when they decided on the name. But I also stated that I doubted it because of the amount of foreign car owners and buyers in that state.

Sorry if you thought I was reading meaning into what you said. Who knows why they brought back the Pacifica name for such a new vehicle. Only time will tell if it works well for them.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
ls973800 said:

No, I really didn't read anything into your comment. I may have expressed it with two thoughts combined which confused my statement.

It could have been well received in California

Agreeing with you that it could have been well received in California. Perhaps because at one time years ago the Pacifica did well on the west coast, or because it sounds like "Pacific" reminding them about the ocean. You had even stated "I also find myself wondering if that same research...." I knew you were only speculating about the research, and I agreed with you with my own thoughts.

and specifically aimed at that market place, but I kind of doubt it.

My own thought that perhaps if it was well received in California, perhaps FCA specifically had that market in mind when they decided on the name. But I also stated that I doubted it because of the amount of foreign car owners and buyers in that state.

Sorry if you thought I was reading meaning into what you said. Who knows why they brought back the Pacifica name for such a new vehicle. Only time will tell if it works well for them.
Oh, no apologies are necessary.....I was merely making a clarification that, as it turns out, apparently wasn't necessary.

Regarding your comments about CA being an import haven, there's little doubt that.....if import volume could help you float.....that Toyota and Honda volume alone could probably keep the entire State from sinking into the ocean after "The Big One" hits. For that reason, I seriously doubt Pacifica will put much of a dent in Sienna and Odyssey volume; but then again, only time will tell. Hopefully, Pacifica is different (but familiar) enough that buyers will give it an honest look-see.

·
Registered
881 Posts
In my lifetime, I have owned two Chrysler products. Many more years ago than I like to admit. On both the bodies were absolute junk.
I have since refused to even remotely consider owning another Chrysler product.

Yes, I know. Irrational attitude. But it is my attitude, and I will maintain it.

:binky:

·
Registered
657 Posts
When I used to work for rental fleet, i had to drive 100 miles back and forth to work. First I drove a Mazda 626, it was a fun car, but 100 miles and started to get back-pain. Then I drove a grand caravan which had 150k miles. Oh man!! I love that thing. I tell you in riding comfort even Lexus can't match gm or Chrysler products because those vehicles are heavy but not reliable. Do I like the ride and comfort of gm and Chrysler products, yes absolutely. But will I buy them? never again, because I will trade my peace of mind for little extra riding comfort. Even now in 2016, sienna can not give that comfort of old grand caravan, but sienna and Honda are bullet proof reliable.

I strongly believe that FCA marketing strategy is wrong. They are trying to revive something obsolete. It is like trying to bring back the wagon era.

On that note Acadia is also going in wrong direction. They were selling because of the masculine design. Now it is transforming into the mainstream, which is mini van on steroids. It is still working out because ladies are literally on the driving seat of both life and vehicles, and they like the flashy, glamorous looks of new gen vehicles looks like a voluptuous minivan. Honestly in future I never buy any vehicle which looks like a minivan.

Look at the successful new vehilces which made a market share from nothing: Enclave, Encore, post 2010 elantra, nissan rogue, lexus is, nx. Now the customers want something new and exciting but reliable and not too big. If you look in the category above, these vehicles forced to change the design language of their counterparts because they started to lose the volume after the introduction of these vehicles.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
For the record.....and now that Press Week at the NAIAS is over (and the public, including yours truly, gets its chance to walk the Show this week).......Automotive News picked their winner, loser, and winner/loser Show entrant:

WINNER -- Lexus LC Coupe (which admittedly does look pretty sweet.....and should, with an MSRP I believe is expected to be well in excess of $100K)
LOSER -- Coming off their spectacular 2016 Show, the entire Ford booth (supposedly nothing new there beyond the refreshed 2017 Fusion)
WINNER/LOSER -- Chrysler Pacifica (called a WINNER as a new design, and a LOSER because of the name......which TAN claims was selected because of the previous SUV/CUV identity) ???

I don't make the news, folks, I just report it......

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
"That's not a Pacifica!"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
cfedor
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing