EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purchased a 2017 Enclave about 6 months ago. First oil change was on the house. When I went to get the second oil change at Jiffy they gave me the rundown about the GM Dex oil specification. I've seen conflicting things online, and I know it's what the manufacturer suggests, but conventional oil isn't going to hurt the engine in the short term right? I get that it will cause more deposits in the engine long term, and conventional doesn't have the life that any kind of synthetic will have, but I also don't go over 4000 miles without changing the oil regardless (Usually sooner).

Just wanted to get some feedback from any other 2017 owners to see if any do use conventional and if so, what brand lubricant and filter do they use. I see it calls for 5W 30. I plan on changing the oil myself again when the weather is better. Many thanks!

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
I used nothing but Valvoline 5W-30 conventional in my 2010- all the way up to 130,000 miles or so.
then, the subsequent oil changes (5000 miles) I did something like...
4.0 conventional, 1.5 qt valvoline high mileage.
3.0 conventional, 2.5 qt valvoline high mileage
1.5 conventional, 4.0 qt valvoline high mileage
5.5 qt valvoline high mileage

I did a slow gradual transition to the high mileage which is a semi-synthetic.
It also has cleaning additives to remove build-up gunk. I figured if I had any gunk- I wanted it to be cleaned gradually.

So Im now at 160,000 and still running the high mileage.

I will say that my 2010 running on Valvoline conventional always returned low wear numbers and no fuel dilution on my used oil analysis

The 2009 and 2010 3.6 with DI engines, at the time still called for conventional oil that met GM spec 6094- I believe it was.
By 2011 or 2012, GM called for oil that met the Dexos requirements.
By this time- many folks were getting fuel dilution (cold weather states) and increased wear.
Even the Full Synthetics of the time were getting beat up severely by these DI engines.
So the Dexos specs helps with a bunch of issues related to the higher compression DI engines.
I believe in the manual of my 2013 3.6, it essentially says that if you cant find a DEXOS compliant oil- you can safely use a 5W-30 oil with the starburst symbol to get you by.
Though I think they mean- you can use it temporarily but change it sooner rather than later.
I know theyve tweaked the 3.6 every year... and I would not use conventional in a 2017.
If I were on a trip and needed to add say 1 qt of oil-- (if I found the oil level low)--- and all they had was conventional--- yeah Id throw in the conventional to bring the level back up.

But nowadays, if you keep an eye out for sales.. you can get Mobil 1 or Pennzoil platinum for a few bucks more than conventional.

On our 2013 3.6, I stocked up on a sale that Wal Mart had- coupled with Pennzoil coupon.
I got enough Jugs of Pennzoil Platinum... that I had oil for the 2013- till it hit 70,000. they came out to $12 a jug.

even today- a 5 qt jug of Pennz Platinum is about $21-$22-- Conventional is about $17-18.
Dont even buy Full Syn oil at regular auto parts stores-- theyre like $35.....

Oil filters- Ive used nothing but the called for AC DELCO filter. My used oil analysis showed the filter was doing a good job of filtering.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Yeah, it isn't a big deal for me to use a Dex approved brand when I'm doing it myself, it isn't too much more. If I don't have the time or the weather is bad then it's $100 every 3-4k miles to take it to Jiffy Lube and get the Dex though, which just seems excessive if I'm changing the oil often anyway.

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
Jiffy charges $100 for oil and filter change?

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
WOW!!!
I had no idea they charged that much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We purchased a 2017 Enclave about 6 months ago. First oil change was on the house. When I went to get the second oil change at Jiffy they gave me the rundown about the GM Dex oil specification. I've seen conflicting things online, and I know it's what the manufacturer suggests, but conventional oil isn't going to hurt the engine in the short term right? I get that it will cause more deposits in the engine long term, and conventional doesn't have the life that any kind of synthetic will have, but I also don't go over 4000 miles without changing the oil regardless (Usually sooner).

Just wanted to get some feedback from any other 2017 owners to see if any do use conventional and if so, what brand lubricant and filter do they use. I see it calls for 5W 30. I plan on changing the oil myself again when the weather is better. Many thanks!
You can use any 5-20W synthetic oil. I go to the dealer and change myself, no issues.

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
5-20W is that what the 2017's call for?

·
Super Moderator
659 Posts
Almost positive the 2017 would be 5w-30 since it's the same motor in my 2013 and it's 5w-30. Nothing changed until the 2018 total redesign.

EDIT: In fact, the Amsoil site is even recommending 5w-30 for the 2018 as well as the 2017.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts