EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rsouthern
Thank you for the post. We are experiencing the same issues with our 2018 enclave avenir. Although the dealership has been helpful, they have not been able to fix the issue. In fact, the issue happened again yesterday so it is going back to the dealership today. I’m not sure if they have recalibrated the brake but they have replaced the ECM and possible the BCM. This has become a real safety issue and I’m hoping they take it seriously and can get a similar outcome as you did.

Latest update. The problem happened again less than a week after the 2nd recalibration. Neither the dealer or GM could explain what the calibration was fixing, or why a year old car’s brake system needed to be retrained on where the parking brake position was. Anyway, to make a long story short, GM is buying the car back under the California Lemon Law. They only tried to fix it twice, but I guess that since it’s a safety issue they don’t have to keep on trying. Now the question or another Enclave or something else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rsouthern
Thank you for the post. We are experiencing the same issues with our 2018 enclave avenir. Although the dealership has been helpful, they have not been able to fix the issue. In fact, the issue happened again yesterday so it is going back to the dealership today. I’m not sure if they have recalibrated the brake but they have replaced the ECM and possible the BCM. This has become a real safety issue and I’m hoping they take it seriously and can get a similar outcome as you did.
Rsouthern
One question; when you experienced these issues was the car on any sort of an incline? Ours seems to happen mostly when our car is on (even the slightest) incline. You mentioned that it happened in an intersection (assuming you were at a complete stop or at low speed), just want to confirm it never happened at a higher speed. Thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
update July 27:
The dealer agreed that the car was dangerous to drive and requested to keep it another day to run additional tests. Turns out that meant driving it home with a diagnostic computer attached to see if they could replicate the problem. They were unable to replicate the issue. They cleared the 2 errors again, did a recalibration on the body controller and another recalibration on the parking brake controller and asked us to monitor it. I just love how they want me to put my family at risk to see if the problem comes back.

I have a separate case opened with GM Corporate... here's where it gets strange... They have pulled all the repair history from the dealer for the vehicle and have determined that the recalibration of the parking brake performed in June doesn't count as a repair, yet somehow the recalibration of the parking brake and body controller performed last week was a repair. So although they actually saw the problem in June and didn't see the problem a month later and both times there were identical error codes that they read (and documented) and cleared, and the corrective action both times was a recalibration... only one counts as a repair. That makes no sense to me, but probably provides some legal or financial protection to GM.

Apparently the June event has a note that says the technician couldn't duplicate. The one this week didn't have that exact wording but was also not replicated by the tech. It was very difficulty to get a straight answer from the GM Support person why one was a repair and one wasn't - there is clearly some training on how to handle this sort of situation related to consumer safety. Multiple times she referred me to an external site to see the specifics of the California buy back law when I was trying to ask why one recalibration was considered a repair and one wasn't. In my view they attempted to fix the same problem twice and both times couldn't tell me what happened - I think all she was trying to do was get me off the phone.

Coming from an engineering background and working in the tech field for 30 years, I would expect a recalibration to be needed when something has worn, stretched or become corrupt in memory. Think of a position sensor to activate the parking brake on and off. It's binary (on/off) but it needs to know which way to go or how far to pull a cable or push fluid to activate the brake. After a year or normal driving the system suddenly needs a recalibration tells me something has changed somewhere in the system. Yet nothing is apparently worn, everything passes the visual inspection and GM won't authorize replacement of anything that doesn't have an error code and can be replicated by the tech. At this point the dealer is basically hoping it doesn't activate again as their hands are tied by GM on what they can do. By the way, there is a tech bulletin on this, so apparently it's been seen multiple times before - at least enough times to send a notice out to the dealerships. The tech bulletin says to inspect and replace 4 parts for wear and perform the recalibration. Unfortunately I wasn't given a copy, but the parts were brake pads, brake fluid, an actuator and I don't remember what the last one was.

So I will see where this goes next week. I have asked for a root cause, but I don't think they will (or can) tell me why the parking brake activated 2 times while the car was in motion (at low speed) and why it wouldn't release once it self activated, leaving the car in the middle of an intersection one time and in the middle of the road twice. The only similarity between the situations was the car had been recently parked with the parking brake activated and the parking brake self-activated after the car came to a stop and started moving again.
Rsouthern

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I'm new to the Forum, I've had my 2019 Enclave Essence for less than 2 months now we purchased it used with 14k miles and now almost at 16k miles. The park brake issue everyone is talking about has happened to us 3 to 4 times now. With the last time being at a Sonic drive thru which is on a slight incline. My wife drives it most of the time and all these parking brake issues are really worrying me now. And unfortunately/sadly I'm sure GM won't do anything til a death occurs then they'll jump on it. We called our dealership today and asked them about it and they said they haven't had any trends on that issue and asked us to bring in the vehicle which we will. So I know techs tend to not want to waste their time on stuff that only occurs sometimes but hopefully it does happen while in there hands. I'll keep you all posted with what they find or what their response is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I'm new to the Forum, I've had my 2019 Enclave Essence for less than 2 months now we purchased it used with 14k miles and now almost at 16k miles. The park brake issue everyone is talking about has happened to us 3 to 4 times now. With the last time being at a Sonic drive thru which is on a slight incline. My wife drives it most of the time and all these parking brake issues are really worrying me now. And unfortunately/sadly I'm sure GM won't do anything til a death occurs then they'll jump on it. We called our dealership today and asked them about it and they said they haven't had any trends on that issue and asked us to bring in the vehicle which we will. So I know techs tend to not want to waste their time on stuff that only occurs sometimes but hopefully it does happen while in there hands. I'll keep you all posted with what they find or what their response is.
Sorry to hear about your issues. I am still "working" with GM on mine. They have gone dark for the month of October. Here is what I have learned from this post and from speaking with my dealership - you will need to open a case with GM directly. Keep all of your records. Even to the point of taking a video when it happens (if you can do it safely). Document everything. Keep taking it to the dealership when problems arise. It is terribly inconvenient but they need to see the vehicle. To start the process, call the GM customer care center at (866) 522-9559 and get a case number. From there, a case worker will be assigned. Once the case worker has assembled the case about your situation, they will get in touch with a District Manager of After Sales (I think that is their title). This person is not customer facing so the case worker is your liaison. document all of your calls, interactions, and incidents. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, Looking to see if anyone else has had any problems with the electronic e-brake. Our 2018 Avenir has had 2 instances of the brake activating and not being able to be deactivated via the button. The situation happened 2 times, about 2 weeks apart. The first time the problem happened just down the street from our house after the car was put into park, we could drive the car back to the house safely with the brake still activated. The problem went away after parking the car overnight. The second time happened when the vehicle was in motion and like the first time it didn't lock up the rear wheels and my wife drove it (with some difficulty) to the dealer. The inspected the brakes and said there was no wear and they didn't detect any brake burning smell. They found 2 error codes but couldn't reproduce the problem so they did a re-calibration per some tech bulletin. The re-calibration apparently re-syncs the brake module to the button (sounds odd to me). Nothing was replaced and GM won't authorize any proactive replacements unless it happens again.

Anyone else experience something similar?
Hi my 2018 enclave is at the dealership today for the issue. The parking brake engages by itself and won't release. This is the 2nd time this yr.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues. I am still "working" with GM on mine. They have gone dark for the month of October. Here is what I have learned from this post and from speaking with my dealership - you will need to open a case with GM directly. Keep all of your records. Even to the point of taking a video when it happens (if you can do it safely). Document everything. Keep taking it to the dealership when problems arise. It is terribly inconvenient but they need to see the vehicle. To start the process, call the GM customer care center at (866) 522-9559 and get a case number. From there, a case worker will be assigned. Once the case worker has assembled the case about your situation, they will get in touch with a District Manager of After Sales (I think that is their title). This person is not customer facing so the case worker is your liaison. document all of your calls, interactions, and incidents. Best of luck.
Would the GM Recalls released yesterday be related to Enclaves?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
All,

I'm the original thread starter and I'm really sorry to hear that others are experiencing the same issue we did. I haven't been on the forum for the last few months because GM bought the car back and we decided not to go with another GM product due to this experience. I think it's a safety issue and so did my dealer, although they tried to give the car back after the 2 services where they did a recalibration but didn't swap anything. My only advice is to call GM corporate customer service and start a paper trail. Let them know your concern and see what they can offer, but make sure to document everything, especially any visits to the dealer to address this issue when it happens. GM corporate was pulling my service records from the dealer that was helping us, so keep the dealer involved!

To answer the question asked above, the car was on flat land (no slope) every time the parking brake activated... I add a little more detail below...

I don't believe the recall cited in the above is related to the problem we experienced. That recall seams to be related to the stability function as it mentions opposite wheel braking from a failed sensor and the brakes activating while the car is traveling at higher speeds (scary!!). In our case the parking brake activated while we were accelerating away from a stop. In one case it caused the car to stop under acceleration while going through a 4 way intersection that we had stopped at, in another it happened in a drive through line and in yet another time it happened after we stopped to turn left across traffic (luckily there was no oncoming traffic!). In each case the dealer was notified. In one case we were able to drive the car with the stuck brake to the local dealer since the rear brake was not completely locking up the rear wheels, although in hind-sight it was dangerous to do this since it could have caused an accident if the brake suddenly released while we were using a lot of accelerator to get the car to even move, in another (the intersection situation) we had to have the car towed to the dealer. In the 3rd case (left turn) we were able to drag the rear wheels, under heavy acceleration, to our house and the problem cleared itself overnight. Each case had a brake service error on the dashboard and in each case the dealer was able to read a brake error from the computer, which they subsequently cleared during the recalibration. Be aware that GM corporate told me that a re-calibration didn't count as a repair - I questioned/challenged that logic but the people at GM are only taking the report and not responsible for the policy or the subsequent investigation.

As rjobe said in his post, document everything (pictures help because the problem may clear itself leaving just the error log in the computer)! Be friendly, polite but insistent about your concerns and don't yell at the service agent at GM, they are your best friend in getting the right information to the right people and they have a strict process they need to follow... and yes, I work in a support department and know what it's like to be the person on the other end of the phone when something is broken.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
One additional thought. I also opened a complaint with the NHTSA after the brake activation happened the 2nd time and I let GM know that I had the issue open and gave them the issue number. I don't know if that factored into GMs decision as the process to buy back the car wasn't transparent - it was decided by someone, somewhere, but not someone that I could speak with. I would suggest that if you have a concern about this and if you have experienced the problem yourself, you should open a report with the NHTSA so hopefully this problem can be better understood and avoided, it's why the program exists.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, Looking to see if anyone else has had any problems with the electronic e-brake. Our 2018 Avenir has had 2 instances of the brake activating and not being able to be deactivated via the button. The situation happened 2 times, about 2 weeks apart. The first time the problem happened just down the street from our house after the car was put into park, we could drive the car back to the house safely with the brake still activated. The problem went away after parking the car overnight. The second time happened when the vehicle was in motion and like the first time it didn't lock up the rear wheels and my wife drove it (with some difficulty) to the dealer. The inspected the brakes and said there was no wear and they didn't detect any brake burning smell. They found 2 error codes but couldn't reproduce the problem so they did a re-calibration per some tech bulletin. The re-calibration apparently re-syncs the brake module to the button (sounds odd to me). Nothing was replaced and GM won't authorize any proactive replacements unless it happens again.

Anyone else experience something similar?
Just setting in a dealership waiting room with a similar problem on my 2018 Avenir. I started to feel the engine lug down then noticed the parking brake warning light come on. I can feel and hear the brake dragging.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just setting in a dealership waiting room with a similar problem on my 2018 Avenir. I started to feel the engine lug down then noticed the parking brake warning light come on. I can feel and hear the brake dragging.
Update - Parking brake self activation and drag problem is supposedly covered by a new safety recall campaign. So far the has not stayed on and given the flashing warning symbol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't see any recall notices on either the NHTSA or GM websites for the 2018-2019 Enclaves yet.
Just checked the paperwork and the parking brake is a service bulletin: #18-NA-178
Also recall: N192216310 "Customer may be able to shift out of park with expired latent fault code counter" and
recall: N192266190 "Engine control software issue"

21 - 34 of 34 Posts