EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, Looking to see if anyone else has had any problems with the electronic e-brake. Our 2018 Avenir has had 2 instances of the brake activating and not being able to be deactivated via the button. The situation happened 2 times, about 2 weeks apart. The first time the problem happened just down the street from our house after the car was put into park, we could drive the car back to the house safely with the brake still activated. The problem went away after parking the car overnight. The second time happened when the vehicle was in motion and like the first time it didn't lock up the rear wheels and my wife drove it (with some difficulty) to the dealer. The inspected the brakes and said there was no wear and they didn't detect any brake burning smell. They found 2 error codes but couldn't reproduce the problem so they did a re-calibration per some tech bulletin. The re-calibration apparently re-syncs the brake module to the button (sounds odd to me). Nothing was replaced and GM won't authorize any proactive replacements unless it happens again.

Anyone else experience something similar?
I’ve had my 2020 enclave for 3 weeks now and I have noticed afew times when put into park the emergency parking brake automatically engages. It disengages when I go to drive again I’m just alittle concerned as no other car has ever done this.

·
Super Moderator
700 Posts
My last VW and current Audi both have electronic parking brakes and I've never had an issue. They will both randomly apply the parking brake after you're in park and open a door to make sure nothing seizes up. It was really concerning the first time it happened because it's quite loud. Their version will just apply it and then release it immediately. Seems to happen about once a month. I've never had a problem with either car and I have had to replace parking brake cables in other vehicles so I'm hopeful this system is actually more reliable than the old cable system that was prone to seizing cables.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, Looking to see if anyone else has had any problems with the electronic e-brake. Our 2018 Avenir has had 2 instances of the brake activating and not being able to be deactivated via the button. The situation happened 2 times, about 2 weeks apart. The first time the problem happened just down the street from our house after the car was put into park, we could drive the car back to the house safely with the brake still activated. The problem went away after parking the car overnight. The second time happened when the vehicle was in motion and like the first time it didn't lock up the rear wheels and my wife drove it (with some difficulty) to the dealer. The inspected the brakes and said there was no wear and they didn't detect any brake burning smell. They found 2 error codes but couldn't reproduce the problem so they did a re-calibration per some tech bulletin. The re-calibration apparently re-syncs the brake module to the button (sounds odd to me). Nothing was replaced and GM won't authorize any proactive replacements unless it happens again.

Yes I have a Buick Enclave 2018. Has 23k miles on it. I have had the problem twice now the first time it fixed itself. The second time I got the car towed and when the tow truck came the break released of course. My luck! I still got it towed anyway and sent the dealer the pic of the error. I want them to fix it so it doesn't happen again. They said if they can't replicate the problem they can't fix it. I asked if others had this issue he said no. My tow truck driver said he was picking a Buick Encore with the same problem right after he drops off mine! So it is a common issue with Buick! Glad my lease is up in 6 months. Shame cause I did like this car.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Did you end up getting the Palisade?
no, we ended going upmarket and got a 2020 BMW X7. Very nice car! We had some hiccups with the dealer and had some problems with the 1st one (yes, we ended up buying 2, returning the 1st one... long story). The Hyundai is a very nice car too and I think represents much better value than the Buick, however they just weren't available back at the end of 2018, beginning of 2019 when we were in the market. We probably would have gotten one if they had the right color and options and I suspect we would have been very happy. Then on a whim we test drove an X7 with the 6 cylinder motor (was not too much more than the Avenir) and it was game over. Ended up with an M50i in Carbon Black... we started looking at the X7 x40i but like the Buick, found it to be a little under powered, but livable. With the Buick (and the Hyundai) there was no other motor choice... no so with the X7. they have a v8 too! The M50i was like a rocket, and my wife had a 540i (sport package) back in the E39 days and the M50i reminded her of that car, which she absolutely loved... and the rest is history, except (long story warning) that the one we bought from the lot had a 3rd row seat folding problem before we left the lot, but after making the purchase and after 2 weeks at the dealer they still hadn't fixed it right, so we ended up backing out that sale (never left lot except for the test drive before purchase) and ordering a brand new one with everything she wanted (including the crystal shift knob - seriously!), and in Feb we had our 2nd new X7 and have been enjoying it for the past year. The best feature I think is the self drive in traffic under 40 mph, full stop and start without any pedal input and handles turns on the freeway perfectly . No hands on wheel needed in this mode, so it makes freeway traffic jams virtually painless. It also has the missing-on-the-new-buick interior ambient lighting (and adds aroma-therapy) and air suspension which allows her 80 yr old mother to get in like it was a sedan, when the suspension is set to it's lowest setting, so the much maligned removal of the A-pillar grab handles on the refreshed Buick is no longer an issue, same with the weird/narrow Buick side steps. I could go on and on, but it's really albig step up in design, engineering (and price!).

·
Registered
1 Posts

1 month later...

Well the problem happened again last night, too late to have the dealer see it first hand. We had to have the car towed, there was no way to drive it with the stuck parking brake. It left my wife and daughter stuck in an intersection when it came on. I dread to think what would have happened if it had been earlier in the day with busy cross traffic, she could have been t-boned! It was a major inconvenience having to drive out to go pick them up last night and wait an hour for the tow truck to arrive, at least no one was hurt, just a number of angry motorists honking at the car when she was stuck.

I have opened a case with GM corporate, and they are looking into it but seem to be saying that unless they see the problem or can get an error code from the computer there's very little they can do. We do have a picture of "Service Parking Brake" screen when the brake was locked up this time... the dealer did see the problem last time and did the "brake calibration" but this is now about 1 month later and the problem happened again, I'm really quickly losing confidence in this car being able to safely transport my family.

I hope the dealer was able to see the problem, we haven't heard from them with any kind of diagnosis yet, granted they have only had the car since they opened at 7a this morning.
I had this same problem with my 2018 Buick Avenir yesterday. Had to drive it four blocks with the brake on. After sitting for ten minutes, I held down the button for ten seconds and it went away. I have an appointment with the dealer to check it out, but I am a little nervous about driving it.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts