EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

2018 Avenir radio screen and wind noise

9K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Chiefdano 
#1 ·
We just upgraded my wife from a 2013 Enclave to a 2018 Avenir model a couple of weeks ago and had a couple of issues come up and was wondering if others with 2018's have noticed it.

1) radio/nav screen sometimes seems blurry, especially when on the navigation or the bird's eye surround vision and back-up camera, especially when pulling into the garage. Sometimes it gets more clear. But I have noticed the buttons along the top of the screen seem blurry/hazy as well. We did not have any blurriness with the 2013 screen (granted it did not have bird's eye). But I drive a 2017 Acadia Denali and do not have these blurriness issues. Before we bought this, we looked at 4 of them on the lot (all 2018 Avenir) and all but 1 was blurry. We did not chose the one with the clear screen because there was a scratch on one of the bumpers and the salesman thought the system just needed an update for the software. The service department looked at the car today and said everything was up to date and that the blurry icons and occasional blurry screen is normal if the car gets too hot??? It has been hot here in Kansas lately, but my 2017 Acadia does not have these issues and today was cooler than it has been and it was doing it this evening when we drove home from the dealership.

2) I have noticed wind noise when driving at highway speeds, seems to be coming from around the A pillar on the driver's side. Its not very loud, but its present and I find that I have to raise the radio volume to hear what is playing. I do not notice this in my 2017 Acadia nor the 2013 Enclave. Service guy was trying to tell me today its an intake for the emissions to let fresh air in when the AC is on??? He said the manager also drove the car to hear it and its normal for this car as well as the Canyon that the manager drives. He claimed that the noise would go away when the HVAC is turned off, well I tried driving the car with the HVAC off tonight and still hear it. Does not make sense to me that its a normal sound on the Enclave but not present on the Acadia.

Just wanted to get others opinion on if their 2018 Enclaves have these issues or if I should keep pressing the dealer to look further into these 2 issues?

Other than these 2 issues, we like the car a lot. The kids now think my car looks/feels cheap after riding in the new Enclave. Also I do like the increased interior room in the Enclave vs the Acadia.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yep. Same problems here.

Wind noise from cheap small window not laminated.

Same screen issue.

Plus.....

Steering wheel controls on right side never worked.

Mirrors don’t fold in.

Seat belt holder In third row roof won’t hold.

Worst front seat, EVER!!!

Besides that. All is good, lol!!!!!!

Love these American cars.

Just dumped lincoln. 11 trips to dealer in 44k miles.

Now I will be at the Buick dealer 2x in 1 month.

Had Infinity with 144k miles. 1 trip to dealer.

#4 ·
tngeebee, glad to hear that its not a normal thing.

Was comparing it side by side to my 2017 (new body style) Acadia. On the Acadia, the instrument panel on the dash and the infotainment screen are both crystal clear. On the Enclave, the instrument panel is clear, but the infotainment screen has some haziness. Guess I'll be calling them again on this issue. Maybe it was a bad batch, like i said, of the 4 we looked at on the lot, 3 had blurry screens, almost like there was s protective film on it, but we (wife, salesman, and I) double checked and no screen.

Also still annoyed by the windnoise, wife does not seem to notice it as much (and its her car), but I notice it immediately when I drive it.

#7 ·
update, the dealership agrees that the infotainment screen should not still be getting fuzzy and I am also getting circular distortion patterns around icons when it gets warmer outside (above 85 deg). The screen clears up after parking inside the garage overnight, but then gets blurry when parked outside at work or shopping. The surround vision gets so blurry that I can not differentiate the gray garage floor from the tan wall. The screen on the dash stays clear the entire time and exposed to the same temperatures.
The service guy says it can be normal initially if the car has been sitting outside on the lot for awhile, but should go away after a week or so of ownership, should not still be an issue after 3 weeks and 1500 miles. There are some bulletins out there regarding this issue, but its not one specific fix, they will need to car for a day or 2 to check all the connectors as sometimes a pin gets bent causing this issue.

They also agreed to have the bodyshop look at the seals closer around the driver's door as I have to turn up the radio about 1/3 of the way up to drown out the noise when at highway speeds. The manager was trying to tell me this is normal for the Enclave and Canyons (as he drives a Canyon and has noticed the same issue). I asked why my Acadia doesn't do this even though its the same platform with the Enclave and I think that the Acadia and Enclave would be more closely related than an Enclave and Canyon. He said that the Enclave and Canyon are more similar? He also claimed that he could not hear it from the passenger seat, but my wife hears it as well from that seat. I do not think its from a non laminated window as the passenger side door does not have the sound.

Car goes in next week, hoping they are able to correct both issues as overall we like the car better than the last generation Enclave, but for close to $60k sticker, these things should not be an issue that are not present on my other GM vehicles, including a LS silverado.

#8 ·
just an update for those that have similar issues.

infotainment screen: there is a new software update that came out in late July. Looks like there are some threads on it regarding the new style traverse as well. Service tech at the dealership had to call GM to find out about this and was able to install the update and no more fuzzy icons or distorted pictures.

Wind noise: they had the body shop adjust the seals on the driver's door and I do not hear the noise anymore at highway speeds. Definitely was not related to the HVAC system that the service manager was trying to initial say was normal for the new Enclave and canyon.

Wife has no complaints with the car and is enjoying it. My only complaint is I wish it was available last year when I decided to get the new style Acadia, love the more interior room (cargo and 3rd row seat) that the enclave provides over the acadia.

#9 ·
It’s been a month since I got 2018 Enclave Avenir, I have the same problem of the wind noise coming from piller A. Service Manager tells me it is common on this car and he measured the wind noise with an instrument with another Avenir and the decimal reading according to him was the same. Should I pursue it further with GM as it is very noticeable and the dealership is clearly of no help. Apart from this issue I have some rattling noise coming from the trunk area and everything seems to be tight and in place, yet the noise is apparent on rough roads. Has anyone experienced that? Please let me now your thoughts.

#11 ·
I also have the Avenir. I have no wind noise. However, I also have the rattle. Doesn't occur when hitting large bumps. Only when there are minor undulations in the road such as expansion joints. Sounds like a bucket of screws. Unable to determine where it originates. Definitely not in the tire well. Tried driving with all seats folded, tried with the rear sunshade open, no change to rattle. Mentioned it to the dealer when I had it in for an oil change. Of course they said they don't notice it. However, they didn't log any miles on the vehicle, so it's obvious that they didn't even check. Typical useless POS. Annoying, but no other complaints

#10 ·
I don’t know if they can reseal part of the windshield without removing it completely. If they do, there is a chance you may end up with more noise. As to the rear rattle, is there anything bouncing around in the lower rear storage bin? Also, at the factory, they put a funnel-like device in the spare tire compartment to use when adding gas from a can. If it came loose that could be the source of the noise.

#14 ·
2019 here ....
The seal on the door is a disfigured on drivers side . Wind noise . yes at the A pillar position top.

I can see the passenger side is beginning to come apart as well . No noise there yet .

Thanks for posting , I was concerned about that wind noise as well . If wind makes it in ...... water wont be too far behind eventually in time .

#15 ·
2019 here ....
The seal on the door is a disfigured on drivers side . Wind noise . yes at the A pillar position top.

I can see the passenger side is beginning to come apart as well . No noise there yet .

Thanks for posting , I was concerned about that wind noise as well . If wind makes it in ...... water wont be too far behind eventually in time .
If you get a minute would you please post a picture of the disfigured seal? I also have a 2019 with some minor wind noise but don't see anything obviously wrong with the seals.

#16 ·
It tough to take a pic because you need your hand to open the mouldings. I will try though again.

Pull the molding back at the small A frame at the top and you will see the moulding is not seated properly under the chrome of the exterior . Continue up and down until you find the area of concern .

The rubber moulding lip needs to go under the chrome moulding to seat properly and then it turns back up to the door body .

Once you see it you wont forget it .

My passenger door is mildly starting as well but no noise yet on that side .

#17 ·
We just upgraded my wife from a 2013 Enclave to a 2018 Avenir model a couple of weeks ago and had a couple of issues come up and was wondering if others with 2018's have noticed it.

1) radio/nav screen sometimes seems blurry, especially when on the navigation or the bird's eye surround vision and back-up camera, especially when pulling into the garage. Sometimes it gets more clear. But I have noticed the buttons along the top of the screen seem blurry/hazy as well. We did not have any blurriness with the 2013 screen (granted it did not have bird's eye). But I drive a 2017 Acadia Denali and do not have these blurriness issues. Before we bought this, we looked at 4 of them on the lot (all 2018 Avenir) and all but 1 was blurry. We did not chose the one with the clear screen because there was a scratch on one of the bumpers and the salesman thought the system just needed an update for the software. The service department looked at the car today and said everything was up to date and that the blurry icons and occasional blurry screen is normal if the car gets too hot??? It has been hot here in Kansas lately, but my 2017 Acadia does not have these issues and today was cooler than it has been and it was doing it this evening when we drove home from the dealership.

2) I have noticed wind noise when driving at highway speeds, seems to be coming from around the A pillar on the driver's side. Its not very loud, but its present and I find that I have to raise the radio volume to hear what is playing. I do not notice this in my 2017 Acadia nor the 2013 Enclave. Service guy was trying to tell me today its an intake for the emissions to let fresh air in when the AC is on??? He said the manager also drove the car to hear it and its normal for this car as well as the Canyon that the manager drives. He claimed that the noise would go away when the HVAC is turned off, well I tried driving the car with the HVAC off tonight and still hear it. Does not make sense to me that its a normal sound on the Enclave but not present on the Acadia.

Just wanted to get others opinion on if their 2018 Enclaves have these issues or if I should keep pressing the dealer to look further into these 2 issues?

Other than these 2 issues, we like the car a lot. The kids now think my car looks/feels cheap after riding in the new Enclave. Also I do like the increased interior room in the Enclave vs the Acadia.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.