EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

We’re finally ready to sunset our 11 year Acadia and get a newer vehicle. What are the major and common issues with 2018+ Buick Enclaves for my awareness.

Your input is appreciated.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
348 Posts
Welcome, Carolien. There have been a few issues reported by members, which were mostly brake and transmission problems, but I don't think they are prevalent. The exception is with the 2020-21 models which have had the most brake noise problems. GM stalled on that one but they have recently come up with a simple solution. The Enclave is still one of the smoothest and quietist running vehicles I have ever had. So far, at 23,000 miles, I have not experienced any of the above mentioned issues.

·
Registered
2021 Enclave Premium AWD Dark Slate Metallic
197 Posts
Just like any make or model, they all have problems. I had a 15 enclave that was great. Not a problem. But on this forum people have had problems with 15s. So you never know. I just bought a new 21. I have not yet found problems that are being reported about other 2021s. One thing I do do to protect myself with these modern cars is always keep it under warranty. To much electronic. Good luck in you search.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'd say the biggest test of reliability is how much it costs to keep the vehicle running AFTER warranty. 25,000 miles or less is NOT a test of long-term reliability. It's when the vehicle starts hitting close to 100,000 and you see the type of repairs needed to keep it running.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There really aren't that many major common issues with the 2018. I read every manufacturer TSB and Customer reported issues on the NHTSA site and the most common issues are transmission related. I recommend reading them over: Vehicle Detail Search | NHTSA . First 1-2 shift can be harsh. This is normal. Fish bite/shudder under 40 MPH. Supposedly there's a TCM program update to help with this but I think the main fix is to do a drain and refill a couple times which gives about 75% new trans fluid. I had this issue and did a drain and refill x2 and it shifts beautifully now.

Minor issues:

If you have the kick to open rear hatch, the projector module tends to get water infiltration causing issues. The front and rear sunshade plastic latches tend to break easily if you aren't careful when opening them. There's a rattle in the sunshades under certain road conditions. I haven't looked into how to silence whatever is rattling inside but I plan on doing so when my wife gets back from the beach with the enclave. The auto start/stop cannot be disabled but there are ways to make is not function. You can go into manual mode and shift to the highest gear. It will shift normally but the auto stop/start will not engage. You can keep A/C as low as possible. Auto stop/start will almost never engage. You can buy a stop/start disable kit that simulates having your hood open that turns it off. There's a rare situation where there's a shudder over 40 MPH that is caused by the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) circuit picking up
EMI interference from unrelated control circuit in the same harness. There's a new harness for this if you experience it. The wireless charger only works with certain devices and is not upgradable. Certain other vehicles can be upgraded but not the enclave. You can always buy a wireless charger for your car and plug it into the USB port. Problem solved. That's about all I can think of.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Traded our 16 Acadia last October for a 20 Enclave. Although I loved the GMC, it had rode a truck-like feel to it. The wife wanted an Enclave after being in a neighbors. NO issues at all with the Buick. And the Buick rides like, well, a Buick. Comfortable, quiet, responsive, we love it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought a 2018 Enclave with most of the bells and whistles a couple of years ago and I haven't had any problems. In regards to the brake noise alluded to above, there was a recall which fixed that for the rear wheels. The only thing I don't like is the super security but that is a two edged sword. I like that I don't have to use the fob to lock it every time I get out of it since it locks automatically. On the other hand, I'm used to going out to the garage sometimes and cleaning the inside or getting something out of my cars. One needs to have the fob so it can be opened.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought a 2018 Enclave with most of the bells and whistles a couple of years ago and I haven't had any problems. In regards to the brake noise alluded to above, there was a recall which fixed that for the rear wheels. The only thing I don't like is the super security but that is a two edged sword. I like that I don't have to use the fob to lock it every time I get out of it since it locks automatically. On the other hand, I'm used to going out to the garage sometimes and cleaning the inside or getting something out of my cars. One needs to have the fob so it can be opened.
My 2020 enclave does not lock automatically - I wonder if that's a setting you can adjust.

Also, what recall are you referring to regarding brake noise? The only known issue with my 2020 Enclave is the brake grinding, and my dealership (just yesterday) said Buick is aware of it and working on a recall, and that I would get a letter when it's been finalized.

I also purchased an aftermarket auto stop/start disabler, and it has worked almost perfectly (every once in a while, it stops, and I just unplug and plug back in).

·
Super Moderator
348 Posts
I'm unable to locate it in my manual, but in the Infotainment Settings, probably in Comfort and Convenience, there is an option to have the doors lock automatically, without touching the lock button, within about 5 seconds after closing the driver's door.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My 2020 enclave does not lock automatically - I wonder if that's a setting you can adjust.

Also, what recall are you referring to regarding brake noise? The only known issue with my 2020 Enclave is the brake grinding, and my dealership (just yesterday) said Buick is aware of it and working on a recall, and that I would get a letter when it's been finalized.

I also purchased an aftermarket auto stop/start disabler, and it has worked almost perfectly (every once in a while, it stops, and I just unplug and plug back in).

Which disabler did you get?

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Which disabler did you get?
Range Technology's unit. Works quite well and well worth the ~$190 to disable this annoying 'feature'. I bought a second one for my '19 Regal TourX.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts