EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Avenir which is a very competent car. My second Enclave since I gave my first, a 2012, to daughter to haul children. There are four gauges on the dash of my 2019 and the leftmost one, next to the tach, measures some kind of oil temp. Is it engine or transmission? No one I have talked to, including the dealer, have any idea. It runs right around 200 degrees F. Thanks for anyone who provides the answer.

·
Super Moderator
241 Posts
That’s an engine oil temperature gauge. Mine also sits at right about 200 degrees after warmup.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My 2020 owners manual shows that to be an oil (Engine oil) temperature gauge. That doesn't say much for your dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2019 Avenir which is a very competent car. My second Enclave since I gave my first, a 2012, to daughter to haul children. There are four gauges on the dash of my 2019 and the leftmost one, next to the tach, measures some kind of oil temp. Is it engine or transmission? No one I have talked to, including the dealer, have any idea. It runs right around 200 degrees F. Thanks for anyone who provides the answer.
Thanks for the replies. Now I am curious as to what purpose this gauge serves. It seems to me an oil pressure gauge would have been more useful. The car also has a coolant temp gauge. I am sure Buick has a reason for doing it this way. Any ideas out there?

·
Super Moderator
582 Posts
It's a good thing to keep an eye on when it's really cold out, and avoid getting on it too much until it's up to normal temperature. It's also a great thing to keep an eye on if you're towing or working the car hard in really high heat.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I tend to believe it was more of a marketing ploy than a functional decision. The current synthetic lubricants will hold up under very severe conditions. I would venture to say that only a very small percentage of these vehicles will ever be subjected to treatment or conditions that may approach the safe limits of the oil's protection capabilities. I don't think there are very many domestic vehicles with towing capabilities that have an oil temp gauge. Myself, I would prefer a transmission fluid temp gauge over an engine oil temp gauge if I was doing a lot of towing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts