EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2019 shifts hard when downshifting at breaking. The dealer says the computer says all is working as it should. I love this vehicle but don’t like the transmission.

Does anyone have any idea or experience with you vehicle?

·
Super Moderator
351 Posts
I don't feel any downshifting at all when braking. You may want to talk to another dealer.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My 2019 shifts hard when downshifting at breaking. The dealer says the computer says all is working as it should. I love this vehicle but don’t like the transmission.

My 2020 now has 20K on it and has been back to the dealer 3 times. For oil changes only. I have not been happy with the transmission from day 1, but that's the only complaint I have so I will live with it. I did mention it on one of the service visits and was told it was normal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I don't feel any downshifting at all when braking. You may want to talk to another dealer.
I just logged 21k miles and this is the one issue I have experienced with this vehicle. It’s still under warranty and I expect the dealer to resolve it. i think I will file a claim with headquarters and then see if they do anything. This is my most expensive vehicle to date. I am 6’ 6” and chose the Enclave for size and looks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2018 had erratic shifting at 41k miles. The dealer recently performed TSB 18-NA-091. Seems to have helped so far. These nine speed transmissions are far more complex than their six speed predecessors. I hope that these transmissions don't become this gen's timing chain issue.

Here is a direct link to the bulletin:

Reactions: KBuick75

·
Registered
138 Posts
My 2018 had erratic shifting at 41k miles. The dealer recently performed TSB 18-NA-091. Seems to have helped so far. These nine speed transmissions are far more complex than their six speed predecessors. I hope that these transmissions don't become this gen's timing chain issue.

Here is a direct link to the bulletin:

I wasn't able to open the link, but assume it was software or possibly a fluid issue. These issues are not mechanical failure so some software tweeting or reformulated fluid spec could solve the issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wasn't able to open the link, but assume it was software or possibly a fluid issue. These issues are not mechanical failure so some software tweeting or reformulated fluid spec could solve the issue.
It was software and fresh Dex VI per the work order along with the relearn procedure.

·
Registered
3 Posts

You know you can reprogram most Enclaves by putting the shifter in low and using the switch on the side of the shift handle to shift gears. Once you go through all the gears you just shift into drive. It will remember and shift that way ever after. Or you can drive it by just using the up and down switch. I always drive it like a stick but I get to rough on it so don’t do it often. I also had one that shifted hard until I changed the transmission fluid. It shifted good after that.

·
Registered
231 Posts
You know you can reprogram most Enclaves by putting the shifter in low and using the switch on the side of the shift handle to shift gears. Once you go through all the gears you just shift into drive. It will remember and shift that way ever after. Or you can drive it by just using the up and down switch. I always drive it like a stick but I get to rough on it so don’t do it often. I also had one that shifted hard until I changed the transmission fluid. It shifted good after that.
Not applicable to the 2018+ Enclaves, and no transmission remembers how you shifted in manual mode and then does exactly that when you put it back into automatic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
2018 Avenir. 44K miles when I bought it 2 months ago. It had the fishbite/shudder issues under 40 MPH and harsh downshifts when stopping. The TSB mentions TCM programming and replace Dexron VI. I did a double drain and replace with synthetic dexron VI. I didn't have any TCM programming but the carfax report mentions PCM/ECM/TCM programming before I bought it so it was probably already done. The car shifts perfectly now. The trans fluid was clearly never changed out before. Very, very dark.

·
Registered
231 Posts
2018 Avenir. 44K miles when I bought it 2 months ago. It had the fishbite/shudder issues under 40 MPH and harsh downshifts when stopping. The TSB mentions TCM programming and replace Dexron VI. I did a double drain and replace with synthetic dexron VI. I didn't have any TCM programming but the carfax report mentions PCM/ECM/TCM programming before I bought it so it was probably already done. The car shifts perfectly now. The trans fluid was clearly never changed out before. Very, very dark.
Did you do the drain/fill yourself? If so could you explain exactly how you did it, where the drain plug is located, where the fill port is located, etc.?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you do the drain/fill yourself? If so could you explain exactly how you did it, where the drain plug is located, where the fill port is located, etc.?
I did it myself. There's actually a really good write-up on on the Traverse Forum here: 2020 9 Speed Transmission Service. I didn't do the magnet plug. Another thing I did differently is for the first drain, I only let it go about 15 minutes and got almost 5 quarts. The second drain, I let it go for an hour or so and got 7 quarts. Make sure you measure what you take out and put back in the same amount if you don't plan on checking the fill level. Checking the fill level is a bit tricky because you have to get the trans up in temperature which I believe is 185F - 205F. I could only get to 175F. If you don't have any trans fluid leaks, you should be good with filling with what you took out. I put in 1/2 quart more than I took out and when I removed the fill level plug, 1/2 quart came out so I would have been fine adding only what I took out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts