EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

2019 Integrated Trailer Brake Controller

15K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  dporter22 
#1 ·
The 2019 owner's manual briefly mentions an ITBC as "if equipped" but doesn't say much more.

Does anyone know if the 2019 with tow package has an ITBC, and if so, what it is exactly? I.e., is it an actual brake controller so you wouldn't have to purchase and install an aftermarket controller, or is it just the connector that you plug an aftermarket controller into, or is it just the wiring somewhere without even a connector that you would need to splice a controller into?

#4 ·
Just took delivery of a 2019 with tow package and it didn't come with any other towing information beyond what's in the owner's manual. eTrailer says there isn't a controller connector, but that the necessary four wires are under the dash somewhere to which you can splice the controller.

I don't see the wires anywhere so I'll have to keep looking. Would have been nice if GM would have included a 25 cent connector like most other SUVs, and like their own previous model year Enclaves.

#5 ·
eTrailer now says that the 2018 had the brake controller wires, but the 2019 does not, so there is no easy way to install a controller. If true it means that Buick went from providing a simple and convenient connector on previous models, to just wires on the 2018, to nothing at all on the 2019.

Idiots.

No wonder they stole our tax dollars to bail themselves out and give their execs millions in bonuses. And now they're firing thousands of workers and moving more production to Mexico.

#6 ·
FYI, since you can't add a normal brake controller there is a controller made by Curt that plugs into the vehicle's 7-pin connector, then you plug the trailer into the controller, and it connects by bluetooth to your phone for control.

#10 ·
Just wires to splice into. Found a video showing it on a traverse. Since they are same basic car it was in same place.
Trying to install a Tekonsha on my traverse and ended up on this forum. I have seen the same youtube video also. The wiring harness is there and it gives you power, ground, and the blue wire to the trailer. Unfortunately the brake light wire does not work (atleast on the traverse). The controller works fine if used manually but nothing when pushing the brake pedal. I have a 2019 traverse without towing package and everything else worked including the power connector to the trailer itlself. Just no brake light signal for the brake controller wiring coming out of the harness under the driver foot rest.

#12 · (Edited)
You have to wonder about the mental capacity of the designers and/or managers at GM when you consider that they actually sat around a table and said to themselves, "Let's produce a vehicle with a tow package and advertise a 5000 lb capacity so we can charge the customer more, but let's not include a simple controller connector, let's not mention anything about it in the manual, and let's hide the bare wires somewhere so the owner has to search all over for information online and then pull panels off to get to them."

I realize you don't buy this type of vehicle to do serious towing, but at 50-60K dollars a little more design forethought would have been nice.

#16 ·
Hi, this is my first post, and have the same towing problem.
My 2019 Enclave Avenir came with the towing package and a 7 pin wiring harness.
I'm trying to install an electric brake controller.
I've spent hours searching and I've been to two dealers. One will not install the controller I had on the Jeep because it is not new in the package. The other will,but it is over $300.
I have towed the trailer and everything works, but the brakes, of course.
I removed the driver's side kick panel and unfortunately, I do not have the wrapped blunt cut wires there.
After searching for the wires with no success, I decided to go straight to the plug at the bumper and use them.
I can not get the back off of the plug. I removed two clips, one is like gray plastic fingers that hold the wires in place and the other is at the top and is a clip that appears to hold the male end of the plug into the bracket that is clipped to the mount welded to the Enclave. I even went to O'Riely's and examined a plug like mine. It appears that it should slip off and I would have some room to work. But I have put an extreme amount of force on it to no avail. Also, most of that is blind work, not even enough room to get the phone in there to take a picture.
I quit, so I do not know if there is a blue trailer wire in the wrapped wires that go to the plug. If there is a blue trailer wire already in the harness(and you would certainly expect that) it would be wonderful to know where the other end is.
Does anyone know where the wires that are in the 7 pin plug go to? Do they scatter at some point or maybe go right up to one of the fuse panels.
I have the wiring harness that came with my controller, so I just need to locate the wires.
Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be clear about what I want to do and have done.

#18 ·
I have the transmission shudder, and the dealer is ordering new fluid to go in it.
While the technician and I were riding around trying to get it to misbehave, we sort of bonded(had some of the same non auto related issues).
He said when he had it on the rack, he would try to trace the wiring harness for me. That will be over a week from now due to scheduling conflicts. Hopefully, I can report back with some enlightening news.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.