EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 enclave essence. I park in a parking garage on an incline area.
this comes and goes 2 weeks nothing now last 2 weeks everyday.
Situation. SUV parked over night. I backup up hill, shift to drive
start turning my wheel as I start to move down the ramp. after moving around 3 car spaces the breaks are hit hard and quick one time.
It does it if I am pressing the break or starting to push on the accelerator.
its like slamming on the breaks. I have tried to watch what I am doing but i never know when it will or want happen. The dealer said there is fwd breaking downhill if the car and it thinks there is no driver intervention.
but turning the wheel or breaking or pressing petal does not seem to make any difference. Has anyone heard of such a fwd hill breaking feature.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I go down a very steep hill, slowly and with foot on brake, but have never experienced what you described. I've used FWD and AWD with no difference.
This week it started the unexpected breaking after backing up in garage. Guess I will need to visit the dealer again.

·
Registered
142 Posts
According to the manual, these vehicles are supposed to have automatic downhill braking to prevent runaway, but I have never seen it working and I've driven down many hills. It also states that it may brake to prevent a rear end collision. That is also a lie because I have tested it several times, and if I didn't hit the brakes there would have been a collision. The only exception to both of those scenarios is when the cruise is engaged. Then, it does what it is supposed to do.

·
Registered
126 Posts
According to the manual, these vehicles are supposed to have automatic downhill braking to prevent runaway, but I have never seen it working and I've driven down many hills. It also states that it may brake to prevent a rear end collision. That is also a lie because I have tested it several times, and if I didn't hit the brakes there would have been a collision. The only exception to both of those scenarios is when the cruise is engaged. Then, it does what it is supposed to do.
I don't see anything in the manual about automatic downhill braking, but there is a Hill Start Assist feature which holds the brakes when starting on a hill.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Page 216 in my manual:
“ Automatic Engine Grade Braking

This feature can assist when towing
or hauling a heavy load.
Automatic Engine Grade Braking assists when driving downhill.
It maintains vehicle speed by automatically implementing a shift
pattern that uses the engine and the transmission to slow the vehicle. The system will automatically command downshifts to reduce
vehicle speed. The normal shift pattern will return once the vehicle is on a low grade or when the
accelerator pedal is pressed.
While in the Manual Mode, grade braking is deactivated, allowing the driver to directly select a range and
limiting the highest gear available. Grade braking is available for normal driving and in Tow/
Haul Mode.”

1 - 8 of 8 Posts