EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! We were fortunate enough to purchase a 2020 Enclave Essence about 1 week ago. I've done a lot of research on disabling the auto start/stop but I have yet to find a solution for the 2020 Enclave. I tried reaching out to both of the 'companies' that have solutions for earlier models:

[email protected]

Both said they do not currently support the 2020 Enclave. I was a bit surprised that this late in 2020 (November) neither solution was updated to support the 2020, so clearly the demand must not be there. However, I want to disable it. I have considered disconnecting the hood latch, but my will will not allow for the 'check engine' light to exist on forever. I am aware of the solution to shift into L, then paddle shift up to gear 9.

Anyone have the technical chops to create a defeat device for the 2020, or does anyone have a solution I was unable to find? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I also have a 2020 and thought there were devices available, but chose to go the L9 route. It's quick and simple and works as well as being free. I will look again at the devices as I did not think there was any difference between the 19 & 20 in that regard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also have a 2020 and thought there were devices available, but chose to go the L9 route. It's quick and simple and works as well as being free. I will look again at the devices as I did not think there was any difference between the 19 & 20 in that regard.
Thanks ibis1 - curious to see if you can find anything else! I've read a lot of posts talking about the disappointing luxury finishes (lack of intermitted wipers, sunshade quality, use of plastics, etc.), but coming from a 2015 Honda Pilot, we are really happy. The ride is great and quiet, the tech stack with carplay, XM, wifi, etc., is all fantastic. And the dealer incentives (going on recently) put these cars in a really strong place with the competition. We're still really happy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi everyone! We were fortunate enough to purchase a 2020 Enclave Essence about 1 week ago. I've done a lot of research on disabling the auto start/stop but I have yet to find a solution for the 2020 Enclave. I tried reaching out to both of the 'companies' that have solutions for earlier models:

[email protected]

Both said they do not currently support the 2020 Enclave. I was a bit surprised that this late in 2020 (November) neither solution was updated to support the 2020, so clearly the demand must not be there. However, I want to disable it. I have considered disconnecting the hood latch, but my will will not allow for the 'check engine' light to exist on forever. I am aware of the solution to shift into L, then paddle shift up to gear 9.

Anyone have the technical chops to create a defeat device for the 2020, or does anyone have a solution I was unable to find? Thank you in advance!
Just curious why you want to disable this feature. It is apparently designed to help save fuel, which I don't think is a bad thing. Of the last 3 cars I have obtained, they all have had this feature. I have not noticed any decrease in function, while I have noticed improvement in gas milage. I guess if you want to peel off the line, you may not like it, but who would do that in an Enclave in the first place?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just curious why you want to disable this feature. It is apparently designed to help save fuel, which I don't think is a bad thing. Of the last 3 cars I have obtained, they all have had this feature. I have not noticed any decrease in function, while I have noticed improvement in gas milage. I guess if you want to peel off the line, you may not like it, but who would do that in an Enclave in the first place?
It's not about peeling off the line or a desire to spend more on fuel. I don't like the driving experience when my car suddenly shuts off and the slight delay when I then press the gas pedal. Further, I do not want the additional wear and tear on the car. There is evidence out there suggesting you can save 3-8% in heavy traffic and that might be your driving condition. I spend little time in heavy traffic, but drive mostly suburban / highway, therefore I have some stop and go, during which points it's nice to have the car on and ready. There are many people that feel the same way about stop/start technology, which is why people create aftermarket solutions.

·
Super Moderator
248 Posts
I wonder how many starters have had to be replaced as a result of that system? If the number is significant then the fuel savings is most likely washed away. Perhaps it does reduce pollution to some small degree but today's cars don't produce that much pollution anyway. :unsure:

·
Registered
81 Posts
For those concerned with premature starter failure in vehicles using stop/start, his was taken into engineering consideration. As a result, the starters utilized are way more heavy duty compared to their predecessors.

·
Super Moderator
248 Posts
I have noticed a difference between manually starting the engine and restarting after a stop. The restart usually seems to be much quieter by comparison, although I don't know how that is set up.

·
Registered
2020 Buick Enclave Avenir
1 Posts

[email protected]

I have a 2020 as well, and am looking for an override/disable device. I've also noticed that none of the 3rd party solution providers have it for the 2020, suggesting to me that it might be different than its predecessors. I'm waiting patiently hoping something will come to market.

·
Super Moderator
595 Posts
Auto start/stop is a joke. It’s only there because the EPA test loop involves a large chunk of time where the cars are idling while stopped so manufacturers saw an opportunity to fudge their numbers. In the real world you not saving anywhere near what the savings got them during this sham of a test.

If you look at the city and AC portions of the EPA test loops you’ll see there is a significant amount of time spent not moving. Manufacturers noticed this too and as the EPA kept mandating higher MPG’s they saw an opportunity to add an auto stop/start system that would give them a nice boost on the test even though it wouldn’t save people almost anything in real world driving. Studies have shown you need to idle for 10 seconds or more for a shutdown/restart to be better than just letting the car idle. Pay attention in traffic to how many times you’re actually stopped that long. Unless you live in one of the handful of cities with terrible traffic chances are the majority of your stops are less than 10 seconds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts