EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have heard rubbing, grinding noise and felt vibration. Took to dealer they couldn't replicate, they reviewed tech bulletins did nothing advised if it happens bring it over. didn't bother to pull wheel and look.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
1st thing that comes to mind. rock stuck in caliper.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have heard rubbing, grinding noise and felt vibration. Took to dealer they couldn't replicate, they reviewed tech bulletins did nothing advised if it happens bring it over. didn't bother to pull wheel and look.
2020 Enclave owner here - I’ve had the same thing! I noticed it goes away after a few breaking sessions in the same drive. Then, on subsequent drives, it would be back during the first couple of times I used the brakes. I suspected my dealership experience was going to be the same as yours, so I continued to monitor. I’m at about 3500 miles now, and no longer hear the break grind. How many miles on your enclave?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've have felt this with mine. I have about 4 or 500 miles on my 2020. I believe this might be related to the ABS, not pads. Only felt on the beginning of the trip but it did it a couple times at slow speed stops in my neighborhood.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Can you all that experience this noise with the brakes rule out moisture getting onto the discs, causing a slight rust film formation, as being the cause? And this film is worn away after several braking attempts? Cars kept outside this time of year, in certain parts of the country, will get this on discs rather easily. Or after car washes. Garaged vehicles don't have this issue nearly as much. Just a though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Some rotors do tend to rust almost overnight in humid weather, and that sometimes results in a grinding noise when braking (not breaking). There are no breaks on a car - they are brakes. Also, depending on how well the pads and rotors are matched at the factory, brakes may require 500 miles or so to "break in." The noise normally goes away quickly after just a few brake applications. If not there might be another issue. There is a noise inducer that scrapes on the rotor and produces a noise when the brake pads wear below a specific thickness. That has been a disc brake design feature for years, and it is intended to signal that the pads (and often, the rotors) need to be replaced. The OP did not mention how many miles were on his current brakes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Exactly the same symptoms as I am experiencing. Took it to the dealer where but it had stopped. After several days, started again. It is intermittent but something is wrong. less than 2000 miles on this vehicle. I expect to be back at the dealer this week. Very disappointed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have same issue. 2021 Buick Enclave bought in December 2020. Issue started at about 2000 miles. Front brakes make horrible grinding sound on occasion. Kind of like metal on metalish sound. Doesn’t sound like typical brake pad squeaking noise, but something more on axle or under hood. Took it to dealer and they couldn’t recreate. Issue appeared to have gone away as weather warmed up, but not happy. Owned multiple new cars for 20+ years and never had anything like this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm experiencing the same problems on my 2020 Enclave. It's been at the dealership for 4 days. The good thing is that they were able to replicate the problem. However, they don't know how to fix it so it's now in the hands of Buick in Detroit. They have basically indicated that there may be 2 issues. #1. Sometimes when I apply the brakes it's like hitting a cement wall. The brake pedal feels like it won't move and it seems the car won't slow down and not stop. #2. Is the same rubbing/grinding problem as you all describe above. Here's the thing, the first Enclave I test drove did the exact same thing. I slowed down to turn into a driveway and applied the brakes. The pedal didn't move and the turn was at a much too high a speed. I was scared to death. There a tons of complaints about the Enclave brakes on the internet. We are not the only ones experiencing these problems. Perhaps there is a recall on the horizon. When they figure out what's wrong and how to repair it I will update my post.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm experiencing the same problems on my 2020 Enclave. It's been at the dealership for 4 days. The good thing is that they were able to replicate the problem. However, they don't know how to fix it so it's now in the hands of Buick in Detroit. They have basically indicated that there may be 2 issues. #1. Sometimes when I apply the brakes it's like hitting a cement wall. The brake pedal feels like it won't move and it seems the car won't slow down and not stop. #2. Is the same rubbing/grinding problem as you all describe above. Here's the thing, the first Enclave I test drove did the exact same thing. I slowed down to turn into a driveway and applied the brakes. The pedal didn't move and the turn was at a much too high a speed. I was scared to death. There a tons of complaints about the Enclave brakes on the internet. We are not the only ones experiencing these problems. Perhaps there is a recall on the horizon. When they figure out what's wrong and how to repair it I will update my post.
Thank you for the update - please keep us posted. I'm really glad at least one dealership was able to recreate the issue! We've got about 9K miles on ours and I don't recall hearing the noise recently, but I sure would like to know what the issue is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for the update - please keep us posted. I'm really glad at least one dealership was able to recreate the issue! We've got about 9K miles on ours and I don't recall hearing the noise recently, but I sure would like to know what the issue is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem. At first I thought it was moisture from overnight parking but it is getting worse and louder. My brakes also stick and I have to give it gas to get the car to move. I have been in the midst of a family emergency requiring me to drive several 1000 mile trips, there is now 5,000 miles on my 2020 and again it is getting worse. I'm glad to see I'm not alone and will be calling our dealership soon to first discuss the problem and then hopefully a fix. I had a 2018 FWD Enclave and it did not have this problem, my 2020 is AWD and I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
2020 Enclave owner here - I’ve had the same thing! I noticed it goes away after a few breaking sessions in the same drive. Then, on subsequent drives, it would be back during the first couple of times I used the brakes. I suspected my dealership experience was going to be the same as yours, so I continued to monitor. I’m at about 3500 miles now, and no longer hear the break grind. How many miles on your enclave?
I am having the same problem. At first I thought it was moisture from overnight parking but it is getting worse and louder. My brakes also stick and I have to give it gas to get the car to move. I have been in the midst of a family emergency requiring me to drive several 1000 mile trips, there is now 5,000 miles on my 2020 and again it is getting worse. I'm glad to see I'm not alone and will be calling our dealership soon to first discuss the problem and then hopefully a fix. I had a 2018 FWD Enclave and it did not have this problem, my 2020 is AWD and I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
It has about 2600 miles on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A quick update on our Buick Enclave 2021 that had this braking issue. I took ours back to the dealership a second time and they were able to recreate the issue. I also sent them a video that I took of the horrendous sound they were making. That may have helped them work more diligently on recreating the issue. :) .

My dealer did find a GM bulletin that they believe is related to the issue. I have a copy of the bulletin. It is "#PIT5805A: Brake Noise After Vehicle Sits Overnight". I also filed an official complaint case with GM. Quite frankly, I wanted to return the car and get my money back. That went nowhere. GM said that engineers are working on the issue and replacement parts should be available in May/June 2021 timeframe.

Net-net is my car now has about 3,500 miles and the brake noise doesn't seem to occur as much. We haven't heard it in a while. Once the new parts are available to fix the issue, we will get those put on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
New to this Site:
Purchased 2021 and had it for 45 days. Drove on one road trip during which the brake noise started and did not get better. At 2200 mi took to dealer and they confirm problem but stated Buick did not have a fix at that time. Could be as much as 2 months or more till possible fix... they replaced pads and we drove for 200 miles and problem was still present. DONE with this one...returned to dealership where purchased and serviced and asked for full refund. They did as I requested and settled up for every penny. I lost the Friends/Family discount and I’m guessing they were able to keep the $5950 rebate. Hard to believe that there is a brake problem that can’t be Authorized to provide a fix in this day and age.
Seems like new discs and a softer pad material could have been a better solution.

·
Super Moderator
320 Posts
It's a shame that a $50-60k vehicle has to be released with inherent problems like this. In your case it took 2200 miles for the problem to surface, so pre-testing to that extent is not practical. At least GM is working on the problem instead of denying it. It's too bad you had to return it because you probably liked the comfortable and otherwise quiet ride along with all the other nice features of the Enclave. It's good that the dealer didn't give you a hard time about it. I hope you have better luck with whatever you replace it with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As a 68 year old couple we were very disappointed that this Buick Enclave Avenir was not all the car we expected. Previously owning a 2013 Enclave and just enjoying every mile driven had led us to this selection when it came time to replace our primary auto. Dealership did the right thing by us and that may save their future prospects of providing us with our next choice. But for now we are cautiously hesitating any new car selection.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Moderator: to be sure that the facts are straight on our car, we noticed the problem close to the 600 mile point during our first road trip. Dealership near our destination couldn’t “work us in” to see if we had a stone or debris in the brakes. So we drove it through the balance of our trip in that condition and then left it at our dealer for two weeks for them to deal with. Only after being aggravated for the last 2000 plus miles did we finally call it quits and return the car at 2765 miles.

·
Super Moderator
320 Posts
When you say you lost the friends and family discount, it sounds like you purchased another Enclave. Did you, and if so how is the new one?

·
Registered
6 Posts
No, did not get the F& F as of yet....mentioned it to the dealer and have not gotten a response on it... no have not considered another purchase.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts