EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a brand new 2020 Enclave in November. After it hit 3k miles, the transmission gave out on the highway. Dealership completely replaced it, I drove it for a week, transmission went out again. I’m pregnant and can’t handle the stress of an unreliable vehicle, but truly loved the car, so I worked out a deal to get a different 2020 Enclave Avenir. I’ve been driving this one for almost a week so far and I’m already noticing issues with it. Loud idling, slight shaking when driving at any speed, it seems to struggle when driving uphill. I have an appointment with the dealer to check it out in a few days, but are the newer Enclaves just unreliable? Am I cursed? Any advice or reassurance is well appreciated.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm sorry, how very frustrating. Getting a lemon is one thing, but I don't understand how two different vehicles in a row could have the same problem. I don't think anything changed with the transmissions for the 2020s and my 2019 has not had a single issue whatsoever in 18K miles.

·
Super Moderator
717 Posts
Lemon laws vary by state (and some states don't even have them) but 2 repairs almost certainly won't qualify. Here in NY a shop gets 4 attempts to make the repair, or having the vehicle out of service for more than 30 days before lemon law applies.

·
Registered
399 Posts
That is so very odd. They are not known to have such issues.

·
Registered
26 Posts
2020 Enclave here with no transmission issues, and about 9K miles. I did report the 'tick,tick,tick,tick...etc.' idle sound, but the dealership said that was normal (no surprise). I experienced some strange brake grinding (see other threads) and an issue with excessive sound from my cross bars (but that was completely my fault). Besides those items and the auto start/stop driving me crazy, car is awesome.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My 2020 just hit 16K miles. I have never been happy with the way the transmission shifts, but it has never really failed so I tolerate it. No other issues. It's had 2 oil changes at the dealer and that's it. GM is probably working on this issue due to the amount of complaints about it. For what it's worth, most manufacturers are having transmission faults to one degree or another. They keep adding gears and the reliability is going down. Lets hope they think 10 will be enough and bring the reliability back. Good luck with whichever route you go.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
That is so very odd. They are not known to have such issues.
Unfortunately, 'rwagoner', your 2008 model WAS known to have such issues, and was a banner production year for replacements of basically a $15 Wave Plate that cost WELL over $2,000 to have it replaced and the tranny completely cleaned out of metallic debris particles. As well as a new filter to catch whatever tiny metallic particles were missed in the cleaning & flushing. The vast majority of this money for this repair was ultimately tied up in labor charges. I know you remember this issue, because WE discussed it at length throughout 2010-2012.

. . Falcon

·
Registered
399 Posts
Um ... this is a totally different issue; the wave plate is not a problem with the 2020 models. And as it turned out, the wave plate problem was a bit overblown (my transmission shop says they saw few) and eventually ended up as an extended warranty. The bigger issue, I am told by the shop, was the internal computer seal discs. My wave plate was in perfect condition when I ended up having the trans rebuilt. Further, no gears showed any wear, and this was somewhere around 135,000 miles. Problem? The computer seal discs...

Not saying it wasn't an issue at all on the early models, but it certainly wasn't with a 2020, which was what I was responding to, in particular the statement about "Loud idling, slight shaking when driving at any speed, it seems to struggle when driving uphill."

Unfortunately, 'rwagoner', your 2008 model WAS known to have such issues, and was a banner production year for replacements of basically a $15 Wave Plate that cost WELL over $2,000 to have it replaced and the tranny completely cleaned out of metallic debris particles. As well as a new filter to catch whatever tiny metallic particles were missed in the cleaning & flushing. The vast majority of this money for this repair was ultimately tied up in labor charges. I know you remember this issue, because WE discussed it at length throughout 2010-2012.

. . Falcon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts