EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems a couple times a week, I get in my new Buick Enclave with 3,000 miles on it and I step on the brake and push the start button and the car won't start. Sometimes the horn honks twice when I attempt to start the car. Normally after it won't start, I take my foot off the brake, and then reapply my foot, then push the button again and the car starts, but once I had to call a tow truck. When the tow got there, the car started. I now record a video every time I start the car, and finally got a video of the car not starting, and another one of the horn honking twice. I've sent those videos to the dealer hoping it helps them find the problem. The car has been in their service department twice for a total of at least 13 days and they haven't found the problem. Its going back in to the service department again today for the third time. Has anyone else had a starting problem like this?

·
Registered
2015 Buick Enclave
30 Posts
Does the problem occur at a single location (like in your own garage)? and/or do you always keep the key in a bag / purse / etc? There could be something blocking the RF signal from the key that can't be reproduced at the dealership. Unfortunately there is a long sequence of checks that has to be satisfied before the car turns on.

From this article: Push-Button Ignition Systems: How to Troubleshoot Start/Stop Problems ...

General Motors (GM) has issued a TSB or diagnostic tip GM # PIC5650H for a no-crank, no-start, no-key fob-detected concern. GM says that RFI can “jam” the frequency being transmitted from the key fob. This interference can be coming from a number of sources located inside the vehicle, Parking cards, building access cards or even other vehicle key fobs can be the cause. But GM also claims that some aftermarket LED lights, USB power bars and even certain cell phone chargers can cause RFI, resulting in a no-start condition.

I would at a minimum insist that the battery in the key fob you use be replaced. Just because it is new it doesn't mean it's good.

Also , just from past experience - If the dealership you are using can't resolve the issue , then go to a different dealer. Also contact GM corporate and have them track the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the problem occur at a single location (like in your own garage)? and/or do you always keep the key in a bag / purse / etc? There could be something blocking the RF signal from the key that can't be reproduced at the dealership. Unfortunately there is a long sequence of checks that has to be satisfied before the car turns on.

From this article: Push-Button Ignition Systems: How to Troubleshoot Start/Stop Problems ...

General Motors (GM) has issued a TSB or diagnostic tip GM # PIC5650H for a no-crank, no-start, no-key fob-detected concern. GM says that RFI can “jam” the frequency being transmitted from the key fob. This interference can be coming from a number of sources located inside the vehicle, Parking cards, building access cards or even other vehicle key fobs can be the cause. But GM also claims that some aftermarket LED lights, USB power bars and even certain cell phone chargers can cause RFI, resulting in a no-start condition.

I would at a minimum insist that the battery in the key fob you use be replaced. Just because it is new it doesn't mean it's good.

Also , just from past experience - If the dealership you are using can't resolve the issue , then go to a different dealer. Also contact GM corporate and have them track the issue.
Thanks for the reply. I have forwarded the GM #PIC5650H to the dealer. I believe the times it hasn't started is when its in my garage and I have the FOB in my pocket. The only other electronic items in the car this past time it didn't start were two USB cords that were plugged in to the factory USB outlets, one in the front console, and the other in the back seat. Nothing was being charged or using the cords. I did also have my cell phone in the car. I'll give all this info to the dealer. Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cheap LED light bulbs can emit way more than just light. The ones in my garage make my FM radio buzz. My neighbor's were so bad the garage door remote wouldn't work in the garage or driveway if they were on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input, I will check that out. The dealer so far hasn't been able to find any issues with the car. It's frustrating because my wife and I really love the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I commonly have to press the brake in twice to get the engine to turn over the first time of the day. I find I have to press the brake harder and further for it to work. After that, the rest of the day no issue. 2020 Enclave. 18000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
362 Posts
Sounds like the brake safety isn't working correctly. I would bring it to the dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts