EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

250 Miles...Problem..Help...Scrapping Noise in Front...Possibly from New Wheels?

5K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  caddycruiser 
#1 ·
Ok...first let me say I love this site and who knew that one of the biggest perks to having an Enclave is to be part of this forum....it is great :thumb:

Okay....I am concerned. We purchased our Enclave with the CRL AWD Standard 19" Wheels. Before it was delivered we purchased the OMD Chrome 19" Wheels for it on eBay. We had the dealer put them on for us.

We are only at 250 miles. Well...whenever I do a sharp left turn...I hear a scrapping noice in the front possibly from the wheel base. I was driving tonight and there was a long sharp turn in the road and it scrapped the entire turn. I paniced and called my dealer and he said that I probably need to raise the front Torshon bar (I am not a great speller and may have the name wrong) in front and get a front end alignment. They said the tires are widder and it needs adjusted...I wish they would have done it at the shop when they did the wheels. I live an hour away from dealers so either I can take it to a closer GM dealer and pay for it or a tire shop. Or I can drive for 2 hours and have them look at it and hopefully not get charged.

Has this happened to anyone else and I am wondering if it is from the tire replacement or something else? I do not want to spend alot of money for them to look at it if it maybe something else.

Any suggestions? I want to make sure switching out the tires isn't a problem OR if someone else has experienced anything like this with/without changing the wheels. PLEASE ANY FEEDBACK.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: 250 Miles...Problem..Help...Scrapping Noise in Front...Possibly from New Whe

If they're still OEM wheels, that should not be a problem--aftermarket and wider, yes, there might be rubbing if you didn't size them correctly.

Otherwise, the "solution" that was mentioned to you is nuts, blankly. There isn't even a single torsion bar on the Enclave, just an all independent front strut/coil and rear coil/shock suspensions...that have no affect on the wheels. Wheels either fit or they don't.

So, just based on what you said, what are the wheels--just a different OEM Enclave set? If not, and there wasn't an issue before the change...pretty easy what the issue is.

#3 ·
They are the OEM taken right off of a new Enclave and put on ours before we even picked it up and our car had 12 miles on it. We noticed that the right tire has a few scrap marks on it. NOW I AM EVEN MORE CONFUSED. My husband thinks the tires are hitting the front fender wheel.

I am going to try to take it in to a local dealership that I didn't purchase it from...but if I tell them that we put on OEM tires and that our dealer thinks it needs the Front Torshon Bar raised...I am affraid they may charge us to fix something that we did not create...make any sense? I am just trying to be as well educated as I can before I take it in and APPRECIATE YOUR SUGGESTIONS. tam

#4 ·
What are the original tire sizes, before you put the 19's on? It sounds like there may be a different wheel well set up for Enclaves ordered with the 19in. tires and your new tires are rubbing the skirting inside the well. I had to trim a little off of a fender flare on my Chevy truck to make 285's fit without rubbing, the original tire size was 245's. Interesting problem you have, you wouldn't think there would be any difference in the wheel well of one with 19's versus 18's.

#5 ·
We purchased them with the standard 19" and changed them out with the Chrom 19". Same size 19"...but he said the chrome wheels have a wider tire...but we have both sets and do not notice a difference....but then again we just looked at the tire number and it was the same.

#6 ·
I'm no tire expert but you need to look at all three numbers to see if there actually is a difference in width, but that doesn't explain the rubbing. My truck has 285/70/16 tires, same size wheel, 16 inch, but the 285's are much taller and wider than the original tires, 245's, and they did not fit well on my truck until I trimmed a little. The odd part is that your ebay tires are the same as the tires on my Enclave and mine do not rub. Must be something different about the design on one ordered with the 19's from the factory, can't imagine what though. :confused:

#7 ·
Re: 250 Miles...Problem..Help...Scrapping Noise in Front...Possibly from New Whe

Really, if they're just another set of OEM wheels & tires, there should be NO difference on the vehicle.255/65/18 255/60/19

Not sure how this wasn't known, but even the base Enclave CX 18" wheels & tires (255/65/18) and the Enclave CXL 19" wheels & tires (255/60/19) are the SAME EXACT width, and even the same overall diameter--because the 19" tires are lower profile to compensate for the slightly larger wheel.

Because of that, if one Enclave set was swapped out for another, that has no effect whatsoever on the vehicle dynamics, at least as far as noise, etc. If there's a problem such as scraping you mentioned, that would be something that was there all along and not just because you changed the wheels to what amounts to a different style.

And because everything is OEM, and like I said was most likely an issue before anything was ever changed, it's purely just a new-vehicle warranty issue, and the dealer is to examine and fix it--thought, with a possible fix like one dealer obviously mentioned, I'd be wary of taking it to someone so out of the loop.

Summary: The size of the wheels & tires are no different than what you took off, and has NO effect on fitment problems (which there seemingly are none). The scraping, or whatever you're experiencing, was likely there all along on that particular vehicle, and should just fall into the category of a warranty concern & fix by any dealer.

#8 ·
I never understood why people go for non-standard tires and wheels. You don't see them when you're driving and they have absolutely no effect on the way the vehicle drives, so what's the attraction? I'd rather put my option money into something that enhances my driving experience, like a photo of a beautiful nude woman hanging from my rear view mirror. Or better yet, a live beautiful nude woman in the front passenger seat (if I can talk my wife into that).

Big Larry
[/color] :drunk:

#9 ·
Big Larry said:
Or better yet, a live beautiful nude woman in the front passenger seat (if I can talk my wife into that).

Big Larry
[/color] :drunk:
Talk your wife into doing that, or allowing someone else to do that?

#10 ·
zman said:
Talk your wife into doing that, or allowing someone else to do that?
Hey, Zman, I'm from Minnesota also, but I have moved to upstate NY 5 years ago for work. Hate it, miss Minnesota nice where there would be lots of girls willing to help out with Big larry's problem. Your pretty loyal to have Goldie on your picture with their start this year!!

#11 ·
They are down right painful to watch. It is only going to get worse from here on out this year. Maybe that is a hockey jersey that Goldie is wearing?

#12 ·
zman said:
They are down right painful to watch. It is only going to get worse from here on out this year. Maybe that is a hockey jersey that Goldie is wearing?
Yeah, that probably is a hockey jersey...even these East coast people know about Minnesota Hockey, although when I tell them that Minnesota won the 80 Olympics, they seem to remember only Jim Craig and Errozione (sp). I have to remind them that 12 out of the 20 players were from Minnesota, more if you throw in Wisconsin and North Dakota, not to mention Herbie of course. Hockey here is definitely second rate, RPI, Union, Ivy league like Cornell etc. They are division one, but definitely way behind the WCHA.

#13 ·
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On the car....not the pictures!

I took it in today and they said they were not sure what it is and that the tire size and wheels are the same. They put it up on the racks but did not see anything that would be causing it. If anyone else is experiencing this please let me know your suggestions. Thanks!

#14 ·

I'd take them for a drive & show them what happens & then let them fix it..... If indeed there is a problem its their job to fix it, not yours!

#15 ·
degentam said:
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On the car....not the pictures!

I took it in today and they said they were not sure what it is and that the tire size and wheels are the same. They put it up on the racks but did not see anything that would be causing it. If anyone else is experiencing this please let me know your suggestions. Thanks!
We HAVE IT TOO! Optional 19" , 8 spoke, chrome wheels came with ,from Buick. My wife said one day she heard a scrape/rub from front left wheel. I never heard it despite almost 4k Miles now. I asked where she was/doing when it occurred. I can now DUPLICATE it every time!!!
If we make a halfway to lock, left turn, while accelerating, over a speed bump/mound, it happens!!!

Case in point: My mom lives in a condo development and we approach from other side of street. We make a half way to lock, left turn (over the double yellow line) to enter her driveway, and (here it is!!) go over a moderately smooth, Speed hill/bump, while accelerating to 15MPH quickly. (traffic is oncoming!) As we crest the mound/bump, the wheel is still turned about half-way, and we hear the rub!! Lasts 2 seconds max. Will not happen any other way/scenario! Sounds just like inner fender well hitting tire??

Going to dealer after I find a similar situation near him so I can demo. (just in case no rub marks found!) I'm not super concerned as it's a unusual situation, no apparent aftereffects, with limited rubbing/hitting, but still...................

#16 ·

Yeah, it really could just be something rubbing that only happens in a specific situation (like just detailed). If it is reported by more people, they'll likely have a running fix, if not already.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.